Corona virus - please stop with the politics

I think the mortality rate will be a little less than one until you run out of ICU space, them it ramps up to around 8-10 percent. So overall mortality will be between the two, depending on availability and recovery rates.

7 Likes

Mortality rate was a big part of the President’s conference today. Sounds like he is looking to loosen the restrictions soon.

Here’s an experiment that seems to have worked.

Or you could try cloroquine
https://twitter.com/HeidiNBC/status/1242238268277755905?s=19

You must have already lost your job. Never seen somebody go all out on implying people dying is better than the economy taking a hit.

Also before the incorrect information is put out there about people dying because of unemployment, the inverse is actually true. Death rates drop when unemployment rises.

1 Like

Dr. Oz reveals French doctor’s use of anti-malaria drugs that shorten coronavirus. U.S. Attorney General warns against it. However, Dr. Oz said that though the drugs are not prescribed for coronavirus, they are drugs approved by the FDA for other uses and often drugs are used for off label illness.

Here is an excerp from attached atricle:
"Speaking earlier in the program Monday, Oz promoted his upcoming interview with the French doctor who conducted the tests, Dr. Didier Raoult, professor of medicine at Aix-Marseille University. He also touted his own hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin drug combination tests at Columbia. The Fox News chyron segment was entitled: “Possible drug combo that could shorten coronavirus.”

“I read the study and I was stunned, literally my jaw dropped, I didn’t know it was possible,” Oz said. “He took concepts that the Chinese had been working with and some anecdotal ideas and then constructed this trial. Now, in his mind, this data is so powerful that he doesn’t believe a randomized trial is worth it. And in France, some cities are moving forward without clinical trials. However, as a physician and in America, we feel strongly about randomized trials.”"

I think sometimes it is worth it to try something new even if it has not yet gone through the regulatory testing. Let’s face it, if I had something that no approved treatment existed for and it would have a high probability of killing me in a few weeks, I would sure be willing to try something different my doctor said was a possible, but not tested, way to heal me, I would say hand me the release form.

Since the thalidomide disaster, our testing requirements have become so onerous, it places restrictions that would prevent a needed drug or vaccine from use in times like these. That’s the flip side of what would normally seem prudent. But a pandemic is not normal.

No one should try to self medicate with drugs they don’t know about. What Trump was talking about was what they are doing in France under doctor’s supervision.

1 Like

I understand the economic concerns. I do, but I don’t understand the cavalier attitude around the virus. How would you like to be working on the front lines as a nurse or doctor treating people in ICU on ventilators knowing you’re putting yourself and family at risk while certain state governors haven’t even called for restrictions or school closures. While numbers in New York are going through the roof by the hour or an emergency crash sites are being set up by the mayor, our own president just said we may be open for business in 15 days. What?? It’s time to nationalize the response. We can’t afford to wait any longer or our outbreak will make Italy’s look small. We need a nationalize response with manufacturing companies ordered to produce ventilators and masks. We can’t sit around waiting while hospitals do the bidding wars on a competitive free market. That’s crazy. Time is of essence.

Oh, a little disclaimer: I have a medically fragile 14-year-old daughter in the hospital. Thank goodness Oregon shut it all down.

3 Likes

Oz is a physician who traded his degree for TV quackery quite a few years back.
However, I hope the combo of azithromycin and hydroxychloroquine proves to be helpful in combating this virus.

1 Like

I agree with Dan Patrick. There won’t be an america to get back to if we shutter the economy.

I think he speaks for a lot of grandparents.

3 Likes

He doesn’t speak for me.

2 Likes

Read in the Chronicle this morning Harris County Judge Hidalgo is going to announce in a press conference today a “Stay Home Order” in effect tonight at 11:59 through April 3. They are working on a list that would restrict businesses deemed nonessential. County officials are working to complete a list of exempt businesses (markets, pharmacies and other stores) necessary for daily life function. Yikes!

You first

He doesn’t speak for this grandfather…far from it. Our country has been through worse and recovered

3 Likes

They don’t care about others. Their goal is solely political. Lies and inaction have and will kill thousands.

Screw em - let em go out and start working and violating any social distance orders. And, seal off the hospitals and clinics to the narcissists, too. Otherwise, their suicides are really suicidal bombings in hospitals and doctor’s offices.

1 Like

2 Likes

Looking at that chart, this doesn’t seem like the time to relax restrictions. Same goes at the federal level.

I’m really afraid we are going to get impatient and back off too early. That will mean we did damage to the economy for nothing because the same amount of people will get sick. 15 days of restrictions is a waste of time.

That said, I would be ok with us making this a state by state issue. I think that could be a very good approach. It will require our President to stay out of it politically and let the states handle.

2 Likes

" No one should try to self medicate with drugs they don’t know about. What Trump was talking about was what they are doing in France under doctor’s supervision.

The couple took a fish tank parasite killer. Sadly, some in the press and solely political have used it as political proganda.

A renowned research professor in France has reported successful results from a new treatment for Covid-19, with early tests suggesting it can stop the virus from being contagious in just six days.

2 Likes

The problem is a two headed dragon of a deadly infectious virus and the 2nd head of the destruction of the economy whose damage could take a decade to recover when the St. Louis Federal Reserve President announces yesterday that the economy could hit 30% unemployment (a number that was never hit during The Great Depression) in the 2nd quarter and questioned we can’t allow that to happen to an industry or the overall economy over this virus. Both must be addressed and balanced and most likely we’re looking at orders to guidelines being applied differently and evolving over time over the next couple of months across the country based upon very hot spots of infections (NY, SF, LA, Seattle) to areas less infected or where curve flattening has occurred to lighter area so impacts to the medical care being applied versus maintaining the economy is being continuously managed and adjusted.

It’s obvious that some prefer to stay in their political fox holes when the country needs to be making smart decisions on all aspects that considers all major impacts and uses balance.
We’re going to have to manage both and many other things in balance. Only responsible minds will think that way and approach this disaster in such a mature and thoughtful approach. It is irresponsible to do otherwise. Gov Cuomo spoke this way yesterday among many others. It’s the way S. Korea, to Singapore and other countries are addressing it along with calming down the panic (which never helps). And it appears it will be the direction of the country going forward with it being managed at the state and local level under Federal guidance and assistance.