Dana and Tune

I’m with you Becky.

1 Like

No, King’s dad. I don’t know anything about Corbin.

My post was about Corbin.

I don’t understand how anyone on here can say Tune isn’t the answer. He had cornflakes for an offensive line. He was, quite literally, running for his life.

And if you say you were hoping for King then I submit, he was running for his life too. Both had losing records behind that MASH unit.

Its like taking away half the keys on your telephone pinpad and saying you won’t make it on this message board because you can’t spell.

3 Likes

You do realize that teams can and often do improve, right? Recent examples:

Navy was 3-10 in 2018 then 11-2 in 2019 and ranked #20
Air Force was 5-7 in 2018 then 11-2 in 2019 and ranked #23
Cincinnati was 4-8 in 2017 (Fickell’s first year), then 11-2 in 2018 and 11-3 in 2019 and ranked #21
Baylor was 1-11 in 2017 (Rhule’s first year), 7-6 in 2018 and 11-3 in 2019 and ranked #12
Minnesota was 5-7 in 2017 (Fleck’s first year), 7-6 in 2018 and 11-2 in 2019 and ranked #10

1 Like

Had zero touch - it was cannon or nothing.
Field vision was below average.

Tune’s accuracy is about 12 notches above Joseph! How can you put the two dudes in the same class? Not even close! Plus, Tune is a track star if you put the two of them in a meet!

The only thing Joseph had over Tune is probably arm strength, but Tune has plenty in that department! It’s hard to get a good gauge of how good he is because he played with one of the worst O-lines in all of college football last year!

4 Likes

Am I losing it or is the font becoming bigger on here?

2 Likes

Rhule, Fickell, and Fleck are special coaches. I would take any of them over any coach in recent (BCS+) UH history besides perhaps Herman. Other 2 examples were service academies completely different set of rules than traditional universities.

1 Like

The reason why we all loved King was his escapability. But that masked the underlying problem, the offensive line. Tune, while he has good footspeed, does not have what King did.

As far as a throwing QB, I’ll take Tune. I saw him make throws King could never make.

Everyone complains about throwing into double and triple coverage. Guess what, when you’re trailing and the other team knows you have to throw, you get double and triple coverage. Add to that a Swiss cheese line and you’ve got problems. You’re expecting Tom Brady out of a sophomore QB. Brady would have had trouble with this line. I’ll still take him over a freshman QB who’s never taken a snap at the collegiate level.

You want to compare notes? How did Joe Burrow look after his sophomore year?

6 Likes

Since we are all quarterback gurus on here I’ll give my two cents on why I like Clayton Tune along with where I see other’s frustrations with him:

Pros

• good size and frame
  • Came into college as a very accomplished High School quarterback with impressive offers
  • has already won multiple games for us at quarterback as an UNDERCLASSMAN
  • Has good mobility similar to Joe Burrow in that he can extend plays with his legs and can get vertical on the defense if they do not account for him
  • seems to be a good fit for CDH’s offense and he is mobile enough to allow us to mix in RPOs, QB draws, and read options
  • has significant starting quarterback experience under his belt with two more years left to play (started multiple games games for us during both his Freshmen and Sophomore Season)
  • seems to have the arm strength to make “all the throws”
  • has a good connection with Marquez Stevenson and has hit him for multiple huge passes already

Cons:

• he seems to get caught locking in on the primary receiver and will often force the ball into bad spots
  • when under pressure, he sometimes gets himself in trouble by trying to scramble out And will get sacked for a huge loss instead of stepping up in the pocket and taking the hit as he throws the ball
1 Like

Tune definitely has the physical tools.

My biggest concern with him is that he didn’t seem to have a great feel for the pocket. I’m not sure if that’s something that will come with more reps/experience or if it’s a natural instinct he’s just kind of lacking. Hopefully it’s the former and he improves a lot with a full spring and summer running with the 1’s.

1 Like

Basically get shell shocked because of how bad the line is. He will have to trust it more this year and stay composed.

2 Likes

We never have a good OL. There’s a reason Ward and King were successful and Kyle Allen and Tune have not been. Blaming the bad OL for bad QB play at U of H is like blaming the sky for being blue that’s just the way it is. Adapt or lose.

2 Likes

Case also had a great feel for the pocket. It’s not really even about being a dual threat (and Tune definitely is a dual threat anyways). It’s largely about feeling where the pressure is coming from and being able to adapt somewhat elusively.

Romo was a guy in the NFL I’d describe as having an incredible feel for the pocket but not at all being a dual threat QB.

Tune may get there, but doesn’t have it yet.

1 Like

i have one big fear with tune…and the reason i dont compare king to tune last year

we dumbed it down for tune last year when he got in…while with king we played at full speed…
we openly accepted everyone had a better offense than us and if we got in a shootout we would lose… last year masked how bad we really were, by trying to kill clock

holgs doesnt run a kill clock offense, from his history and alos evidenced by when king was qb…
if tune is qb we have so much growth needed

1 Like

these sound like fixable issues to me.

Why is our line going to be better next year? Our best lineman will be in the nfl and the fall off after that is crazy.

One year older does not make them suitable as they are put together right now.

1 Like

It’s funny that we sit here debating this when we all know what the real issue has been. It’s called DEFENSE. Hopefully 2020 will be the year our defense gets back on track. Our offense is going to be ok. Memphis has owned the division the past few years and they never do it with some dual threat superstar quarterback. They have talent around the quarterback and he manages the game and gets the ball out to his playmakers. We don’t need Case Keenum or Greg Ward to be successful in 2020. We need a much improved defense and we need Clayton Tune to manage the game and get the ball out to our playmakers in Stevenson, Singleton, Car, Smith, Porter, and Corbin.

5 Likes

So if you aren’t a service academy or don’t have a special coach you can’t improve? Other recent examples of teams that won 4 games or less in a season since 2015 include UCF, Florida, Oregon, and Notre Dame, who subsequently improved under Scott Frost, Dan Mullen, Mario Cristobal and Brian Kelly, respectively. SMU was 5-7 in 2018 and 10-3 in 2019 under Sonny Dykes.

Were all of those teams “basically back to the Dimel years” when they had a bad year?

1 Like

The only games CDH won with Tune were the two in which he attempted 20 or fewer passes. He threw for 124 and 89 yds in those games.

1 Like