Facts on King

Welcome Michael. It gets interesting. Post with caution!:smile:

And the same old songs, please
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That top 25 south Florida game
that was an amazing effort and showed his skills.

In January, after the early signing period, there is not a juco qb that could deserve to play here.

Now the qb transfer portal is full of talent!!!

Agree with you 100%. But had he been honest he would not have been able to go to class and graduate at no charge, receive medical care and rehab with no expenses to him, have access to weight training, cardio and the facilities with no cash from him and let’s not forget meals, housing, books and road trips with the team. The state of Texas and the donors are the ones who picked up the tab for Derek. We should send him a bill.

2 Likes

Nah, it’s still the coach’s decision on whether to play him or not. If King refuses to play, that’s one thing, but that’s not what sounds like happened. Then again, I don’t think CDH was ever enamored with King
which is fine. I really don’t think either side was wrong here (other than D’Eriq’s daddy).

What I do think is that D’Eriq’s dreams of being a QB in the NFL were dashed last season. I think his limitations at that position were exposed and that any thoughts of him being the next Kyler Murray weren’t realistic. He does have a strong arm, but he doesn’t have much touch on intermediate throws and definitely seems to have issues throwing to the left
at least in the flats. Could be something in relation to his size.

I also don’t think the Johnson or Briles offenses really helped him. One was a basic RPO while the other was a non-play calling reactionary offense. Neither are close to being an NFL offense and there’s a reason why most guys who QB in those systems don’t play QB in the NFL (or don’t last long). Holgorsen’s air raid is more of what the NFL is starting to move towards, but King seemed to struggle in it.

What kind of seals the deal, though, is that he basically abandoned his teammates this past season, wasn’t completely forthcoming of his intentions, and seems to have little free will when it comes to his dad. Can’t see many, if any, NFL team not seeing that as a huge red flag for a guy that’s supposed to lead the team
especially one with as many limitations as King has.

Honestly, and I hate saying this, King’s smartest move would be to go reunite with Tom Herman over in Hornville and try to be a RB/KR/PR/occasional Wildcat QB (Wes Welker, Danny Anendola come to mind
although they both played in the Air Raid) That’s the role he’ll be best suited for if he wants to have a chance in the NFL and I’d imagine Herman would love to have him back in that role. It’s likely King would show enough to probably get drafted in the later rounds and get a shot. However, if all he does is go reunite with Briles to be QB again,I can’t see that getting him much notice or helping him beyond college, especially since I doubt he puts up the same numbers in the SEC that he did here in 2018 against a very weak schedule.

Ah well, figured I finally had some thoughts about this during my sort of hiatus and figured I’d come and say something. Still hoping to be back regularly soon and go back through all the old threads. Lot of life changes happening in a short period of time that require my focus at the moment, and continue to happen
hopefully will be settling down again soon.

Hope you all are well and, as always, Go Coogs!

17 Likes

King had “it”. The electrifying runs, the best deep ball I have seen in a long time, cool under pressure
 Keenum had “it”, Greg Ward Jr had "it’.

Blake Joseph didn’t have it, David Piland didn’t have it, John O’Korn didn’t have it, and unfortunately from what I have seen, Clayton Tune doesn’t have it. Doesn’t mean he won’t be adequate, but his play is average. I love the kid for his tenacity, and I hope he can take a big step forward going into his Junior year. He stuck around, and he deserves credit for that.

The best deep ball that he was 2-19 on

Who is this King guy ya’ll keep talking about?

Go Coogs, go Tune, go CDH and whoever he brings in as a QB as next man up!

Good to hear from you. Coogfans can wait
not much going on anyway :wink:

1 Like

If one subject was thrown out the window Football thread be pretty dead right now. :wink:

1 Like

Great to hear from you Pray
hope that everything turns out well, whatever you are dealing with. We are all with you :100: % !!!

1 Like

Cary, Tune stepped in under an extremely adverse situation. We were 1-3 after many had hopes of 10-2 or better. King had redshirted which caused a whole lot of fans, who all but canonized him, to suddenly hate CDH and disparage Tune. The OL had become decimated by injuries and one of our best WRs (Corbin) had redshirted. Yet, despite the obvious reasons for our poor season which were definitely not the fault of Tune, many on this board have been putting the lad down.

I think the kid can do well for us in the upcoming season, and unless proven wrong, I think all Coogs should give him the benefit of the doubt and lay off.

5 Likes

I don’t disagree with anything you said, and if it seemed I was putting him down
 I’m not. Saying he doesn’t have “it”, doesn’t mean he isn’t a good QB or can’t improve. Surrounded with playmakers, he could make the Coogs a winner. An average QB can look great with the right guys helping him.

Wow there is some crazy revisionist history on here. Leading into the 2019 season this board, along with national media had King in the hunt for the Heisman.

Now, he’s not a winner. He doesn’t have “it”. He hasn’t won big games. Unbelievable how people turn on a kid.

By all accounts, he’s a good kid.
He’s a kid that changed his mind. Who here hasn’t left for another job?
QB win/loss record is the most useless/meaningless/overused stat in all of football.

I’m as bummed as anybody that he won’t be here for 2020. But jeez people. Get a grip.

4 Likes

Well stated.

There are two types of people with opinions on Coogfans. One type gets tunnel vision, states what they want to say, but ignores context surrounding their subject. The other states their opinion but takes context into consideration. If you think people are being short-sighted with King’s sample size, you should see all of the type 1 dudes talking about Tune.

Book recommendations for the type 1 guys: Context Matters- by Sam Sommers

1 Like

Nothing revisionist, just statistics and reality.

The main thing I fault him on is not being truthful with CDH which caused him to miss out on a couple of QB transfers he could not go after as long as King was still here. His delayed announcement has put us in a bind. John Holcombe from K-State was one being considered who also had interest in coming. The kid ended up signing on at Florida A&M because he couldn’t wait any longer.

We now have a report, from a very reliable souce, that it was King who went to Pez before the Tulane game and told him that if we didn’t beat Tulane he was redshirting. King played CDH all along and CDH covered for King and took a whole lot of heat for actions not of his doing. CDH was the good guy in this whole ordeal.

10 Likes

The problem with statistics and reality is that statistics are used to support one’s own perceived reality. Ben Roethlisberger could throw for 400 yards, 4 tds and 3 interceptions(which has happened quite a bit for him). People will either use that stat line and say:

“400 yards and 4 tds? he’s the greatest!”

or

“He threw 3 interceptions, he sucks”.

Which one is it?

Edit: have a QB leave the team and you’ll get more of the second view point.