Football Operations Building

https://twitter.com/coachapplewhite/status/746401744473620480

Looking sweet.

2 Likes

Super sweet!

Closer picture of just the Operations building. That’s going to look amazing:

2 Likes

So is this a separate project from the practice facility?

Yes. The IPF will only be a practice field and weight room. It will be located about 50-75 yards from the West EZ complex.

The West EZ complex will basically duplicate the Athletics Alumni Facility in terms of coaches’ offices, locker rooms, position meeting rooms, auditorium, film room, recruiting lounge, players lounge, study hall, nutrition center. It will be home base for the football program.

With football and basketball moving out of the Athletics Alumni facility, we have a lot of room there now to add more sports if a P5 conference requires it. Most of the P5 conferences sponsor a lot more sports than we offer. #GrandPlan

So will they tear down the existing structure, or just add on to what’s there. How will this effect the expansion of the endzone.

I don’t know. But since that endzone would not be part of the first 10K seats added, it’s not much of a consideration. The certified needs of the present trump the potential needs of 20 years from now.

BTW the first 10K added would be ~3000 in a 300 level in the East EZ, and ~7000 added on to the North side, expanding the North second level concourse and adding restrooms and concessions on the North second level concourse.

I would hope more ribbon boards, a NE corner video board, escalators on the South Side and more elevators on both sides would be part of the project. Potentially, we would build a new press box on top of the North Side, and convert the current press box into more suites.

2 Likes

Love your thinking. This is an old thread but it bears repeating.

Glad this was bumped up. Didn’t know about the Ops building.

1 Like

A lot of us missed that one so I brought it up. This building along with the indoor practice will give UH an interesting “front door” on Scott St. May take a bit of attention but it’s pretty ordinary right now. Big improvement.

Is there a link to all this good stuff?

When they get ready to build it, there will be an official design of the building and links to it. I’m sure it is going to be design differently than what was originally proposed. This is the next big project for the athletic department. It may cost from $50-$80M to build, but it is a needed facility. If we have a really good football season in 2019, it will be on the fast track.

2 Likes

I’m all for improving facilities, but why isn’t something like this already accounted for within the current Athletics/Alumni Center, IPF, and stadium itself?

This seems like a costly and duplicative facility where resources would be better utilized elsewhere.

3 Likes

In terms of facilities, the College of Athletics has more buildings on campus than any other College.

Not complaining, but it does lend itself to perspective.

2 Likes

When you think about how many sports are under the athletics banner, no other college has that many departments. When you consider the size of stadiums, practice fields, baseball/softball fields and tracks(indoor and outdoor) they will get the majority of land too.

There are always current standards to stay competitive and attract recruits, coaches, etc. The last 5 years all colleges have been adhering to the new standard of building a IPF. If they do not have one by now, it is definitely on their plate.

Along with the IPF, colleges are building their football operations center which will contain the locker room, coaches offices, player lounge, team conference room, weight room, etc. This facility is a must and will put UH athletic program on par with any other top football program.

The IPF was built with donated money and I assume the football operations center will be paid the same way. As long as we have uncle Tilman and Renu, It will get done.

The original design of the FOC matched the original design of the IPF but since the IPF design was changed, the FOC will probably change also.

Here are some pics of the original design of the IPF and FOC.
blob

images%20(6)

2 Likes

Thanks Ron. I am assuming the the facility will have a new locker room with an entrance to the football field on the west EZ.

I could see UH football having a gameday locker room and practice and everyday lockerroom in the new facility. They built the TDECU club level and current locker room so that donors could see the team take the field through a glass wall, so I could see football having two lockerrooms like the basketball program does.

I’d be surprised if this happens before making it to P5.

Is this back on the front burner? It was going to start in 18 but hasn’t been discussed much in 1 1/2 years. . I’d love to see it. We need it. The AAC is old and outdated and can’t house all our athletic needs. With baseball and basketball having their own facilities, this alleviates some of the crowding. Football is the financial driver and is only successful on a annual basis with top talent and staff. The operations center would be a very attractive addition to what we can offer those recruits and coaches.

1 Like