Gregg Marshall Out At Wichita?

Mark Antony, is that you?

1 Like

Agree. WSU will be fine, with our without Marshall. As with almost any program except the top 4-5 in the country, they will have some ups and downs, but they have too much fan support to be an ECU or Tulane. I got my Masters there and worked in their Athletic Department in 1999-2000. Basketball was garbage that year and really for about 10 years running. They still had 7,000+ per game. A 180 from UH basketball in bad times. Too many people in that community care for them to ever be a perennial bottom feeder now.

5 Likes

We still haven’t seen Wichita St admin make any moves, which leads me to believe they want him to stay so bad they will do a phony investigation and nothing will happen. The question then is — will whatever team remains be willing to be coached by this guy? I mean, i wouldn’t buy a can of soda from him, will these kids play their hearts out for him? Doubt it. Shockers gonna be lower/middle of the pack till he’s gone.

i agree theyll struggle to recruit disagree thatt theyll be middle of the pack

wichita has always struggled to recruit
marshall has never been a great recruiter 
marsahll has had 0 top 70 recruits in his history and 2 top 100 out of highschool, yet has made the ncaa tournament 14 of the last 20 years and flat just missed the post season (nit/cbi) only twice

most wichita rosters revolve around 1 semi touted recruit and 11 players lucky to get d1 offers . their roster next year is the who’s who of unknown juco, who havent played d1 yet and according to their beat writer thy think they have a ncaa tournament team. solely on the court stuff, he is like sampson in that he doesnt need touted talent to win

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1326367582635646977

https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/status/1326383866270142469

1 Like

That would be a home run for them.

1 Like

There is no reason to hold on to someone who has abused his power like he has at WSU. Yes he is a good or maybe very good coach, but like James said, with their support that can find another good one. Marshall reminds me a bit of BCG and will land another opportunity by next year to rebuild his image.
Their fans are setting themselves up for failure if they think they are heading to the dance. They are middle of the pack for the time-being in the AAC.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/tayloreldridge/status/1326398041637662720

https://twitter.com/BSnow247/status/1326537410985877505

If they do let him go they should go after John Beilein

John Beilein?? Why settle, they should go after Brad Stevens!

Stevens isn’t leaving the NBA and Beilein isn’t coaching right now.

1 Like

They should wait it out 1 more year. And get Shaka.

3 Likes

Beilein is out of their league.

Wich st is paying Marshall 3.5/yr and they have a very good fanbase. They have plenty of money and support.

3 Likes

Still no word on who will replace Greg Marshall?

It’s not about money. He’s 67, teaching a course at UM, and just last year was promoted from UM to the NBA. I don’t think he’s at a station where he’s going to take a big step back to rebuild a team in the AAC, especially if he’d be taking over the team two weeks before the season starts (and during a pandemic). If he wants to coach again, he’ll have his choice if suitors.

still no official word if he is even fired
wichita beat writer, says he cant confirm with any of his sources

Im thinking they won’t hire someone until after the season. I can see that point of view but it depends on his options and what he wants to do. I don’t think that job is rebuild but more of a retool.

2 Likes

itll depend
for how good wichita is expected to be , its a retool
only losing 2 seniors

but it oculd be arebuild becase no one on their team besides gilbert is particularly touted, marshall knew how to win with less touted guys
 most coaches can only win with talent
it could be a rebuild, a new coach could come in and not know what to do with a bunch of unknown juco

1 Like