Houston at home vs. Tulane - Sunday at 5 pm (W 73-42)

Cougars looked like a mature team tonight, even with sloppy play in 2nd half. Game Thursday should be a barn burner.

3 Likes

Coogs turned it into a blowout pretty early tonight Only watched until halftime when the Rockets started. Keep winning. The tourney is all but locked up at this point.

1 Like

went to the rockets game but good to see them get revenge on tulane and blow them out. cant wait for thursday.

1 Like

you might want to change your name from diehardcoog to something else if youre going to skip out oon a pretty good coog team to watch the rockets walk over bottom dwelling mavericks.

and some wonder why we have problems with attendance, example #9,996.

6 Likes

Kelvin Sampson’s post-game press conference after the Coogs defeated the Tulane Green Wave 73-42. Coach Sampson also mentions Thursday’s game against Cincinnati.

Seniors Rob Gray and Devin Davis speak with the media after the Houston Cougars routed the Tulane Green Wave 73-42. Devin scored a game-high 16 points.

Alfred mentioned earlier he already had plans that he couldn’t change and he at least keeps up with the Coogs when he has those other plans. Hakeem and Applewhite were at the same game so Alfred wasn’t the only Coog there.

I don’t think the Rockets were the main reason for the weak attendance at last night’s game. The students were MIA again and folks still aren’t coming to games that aren’t “marquee” opponents. Hopefully, folks show up to the Cincy game.

A lot of people had plans they couldn’t change, apparently. There was plenty of room to stretch out. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It’s also because it’s at TSU and not Feritta

Even though it’s not very far, students don’t want to make the trip unless it’s a marquee. Also, finals are coming up, so students might be studying. (I’m a student and have finals next week.)

Once Feritta is up, students will start showing up because it’s a new arena, and because it’s walking distance

1 Like

they don’t seem to communicating with the students well, my daughter lives on campus and she didn’t even know she could take a shuttle to the game.

1 Like

I agree. I don’t want to seem like I’m coming down on just the students either because it wasn’t like the arena was filled other than the students. Plus, the students came out for the SMU game, but there were plenty of seats around the arena that went unfilled.

I just hope we aren’t pinning all our hopes on the Fertitta Center fixing our attendance problems. There needs to be a concerted effort to market and sell the program to the Houston area
we have the team to market next year, need to push them hard.

https://twitter.com/UHpres/status/962854412397039622

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/David_TXAZ/status/962834309823344640

Finals in February? Things seem to have a changed a bit since I was there.

1 Like

Last time I checked, finals were during the second half of April!!!

3 Likes

I made prior plans to attend the rockets game before the Coogs bball schedule came out. As much as I love my Coogs, I’m a huge Rockets fan.

Fertitta Center is not going to cause a massive increase to the regular attendance next year. It might for a few games. They are trying so desperately to sell premium seats for next year, and last time I checked there are alot of seats left, besides the high premium seats. I still think UH is way over pricing seats. There is just way to many options in Houston to be charging that much. I wouldnt be surprised if the prices push alot of fans that had good seats in the Hoff to general admission in Fertita Center. I just hope the athletic department doesnt come out looking foolish with season ticket numbers next year, because means somebody should be fired. In the history of the program we have only averaged over 6500 attendance like 5 times. The statistical data is not there to expect such massive increase in sales.

1 Like

haha sorry guys

I meant midterms!

1 Like

disagree. New arena added to the fact next season will be our first year of potentially coming off a tourney appearance, it will definitely be an increase of crowd.

It’s anecdotal but I had one guy [basketball fan but not alum] that was not interested in going to a game because it was at TSU. I even explained there was a shuttle from UH. Didn’t matter. It’s a shame because this team has earned better support than it is getting. It is what it is. Just hope they recognize that there are fans that are making the effort rather than focusing on the # of empty seats

1 Like