I still can’t believe

The 2nd half meltdowns with this team are beyond ridiculous at this point. How can this team look decent-good in the first half and look so bad in the 2nd half?

That’s on the coaching staff.

2 Likes

Cover 2 in the 3-4 with cushion on the outside. QBs have picked us apart. Tulsa also ran on a 3 man front with soft coverage on the outside. The DC is in trouble. It might be time for a 4-2-5. That way we can get some more edge rushers on the field. The pass rush is just as concerning as the defensive scheme in the second half. smh

I guarantee there will be zero defensive changes this season. Maybe when the DC is fired after the season the next guy can get it right. If the DC stays, we are in big trouble.

1 Like

It is not the 3-4 that is to blame. It is how it is being used. I am convinced that we have talent. We are just not using “it” to its full potential.

2 Likes

Agreed.

If the defense can’t show up and close out a game, it does not matter if we punt or go on 4th down.

4 Likes

We were most successful when we were aggressive, pressing the QB and forcing bad throws. This soft zone didn’t work, doesn’t work, will never work. Just don’t understand how Dorito can take a good TO defense and take away the best part of the defense and coach them into collapse.

I think the DC was signed to a 3 year contract (for whatever reason) so I doubt he gets fired after this season

Exactly. We can all argue about turnovers, play-calling, decisions, etc., but this is the bottom line, and it’s been a consistent issu in every game this year, even the wins.

The team that played the first half yesterday would win every game on our schedule. The second half team will lose all of them.

If u don’t get first, ferguson td. If u punt, ferguson td. U got to go for it

2 Likes

Now I’m really curious about the 4th down play. Major says it was a punt but that back definitely tried to catch the ball. Something is off and its not just our D.

Worst D I’ve seen in a very, very long time. Still, UH had a chance to win but two bad turnovers halted it. This is now an established pattern for Postma.

Could not have said it any better… What If’s get you nothing!!
In the 2nd half of the last two games the defense played with no heart and defiantly no discipline and direction.
It’s hard to watch… Will not say his name but I miss the T-sip Traitor and his staff. It just feels different at the games.
The team can’t seem to keep 1st quarter energy going. Sorry in my mind eye it’s got to be the coaching staff and philosophy. The students will turn up for a winner but if this keeps up attendance will drop.

This remains a problem. Do we support a winning team or do we support the University of Houston Cougar football team? People claim to have sat through worse times ,but have the most brittle loyalty when an above .500 team struggles. I’ll be at as many games as I can, regardless of the record. This is because I love the University of Houston, I love our football team, and my ego and feelings take back seat for a great group of guys that play for us! Show up, pound beer, and support our boys with pride!

4 Likes

Well said. And most on this board support UH in some form or fashion.

The problem is we’re a minority when it comes to a lot of students/alums.

2 Likes

Right now we kinda almost stink. The RV lot wasn’t half full last night, and that is a hard-core group that spends on the Coogs. Why would a casual fan buy a ticket this year?

He’s so awful.

Why was punt the right call? Even if Memphis scores – they were scoring in 2.5-minute increments at that point – that would have left us plenty of time to score. I figured at that point whoever had the ball last would win. Aside from the possibility of a TO (ya think?), I liked our chances to score last.

1 Like

To me, that told be all I needed to know about Applewhite !!

1 Like

Punt was NOT the right call if you had seen the previous 25 minutes of defensive futility.

You play to win the game, NOT to not lose the game.

This is Applewhite in a nutshell.

Get out the AX !

1 Like

Doesn’t matter. CMA didn’t call a punt, he called a fake punt that failed. Roy was able to think quickly and punted it. I don’t agree with the fake.

Here’s the play. Snap goes through Doubenmeier’s hands and ends up in Roy’s who quickly punts. Doubenmeier was supposed to run off RT.