Kelvin Sampson versus Dana Holgorsen

BYU is a good team, but we could have still won. It would have made a good signature win.

If we had a young, unproven, up and coming coach, I would feel ok about it and see that the momentum is building. But we have a coach we are paying a lot of money to win games like this.

For me, that’s the most disappointing thing about last night.

1 Like

People were calling for Sampson’s head after the first couple of years with losing to Georgia tech and Akron in the NIT. Some of y’all need to realize that it takes time to build, we are definitely getting better there’s no doubt on that

3 Likes

I’m not calling for Dana’s head. And I wasn’t calling for Sampson’s either. But we should expect more from Dana. No reason to get totally outclassed in the second half the way that we did last night.

2 Likes

I can’t say we were outclassed. We ran out of luck. At some point you have to start counting possessions against Zach Wilson. He is every bit like Mahomes in that you have to score every time you stop him; you can’t count on your defense to keep him bottled up the whole game. The offensive play calling was definitely a problem in the fourth. Ultimately it was only our second game, and the team did well all things considered.

29-6 in the second half is being outclassed.

1 Like

On the offense in the second half yes, to an extent, but what did you expect them to do? Play near flawless in their second game? Even if we allowed them to score more points in the second half, and turned it into a shootout, we’d have to ask our defense to make a key stop against a REALLY good QB. That’s a tall order.

I’m not impressed with the late play calling, the lack of discipline, and the missed tackles, but we can’t take away the good just because we lost. How many more teams like this will the Coogs play? Every team on our schedule so far has looked extremely mortal. I think the only team we may struggle with if we don’t learn how to attack zone is Tulsa, because they play the EXACT same style of defense that BYU does.

Hopefully coaches have them put in more work against zones in practice.

That’s fair. On to Navy.

1 Like

If we stop the penalties and thump instead of arm tackle, then we should win that one. We really miss Kirven. He struggled with assignments last year but when he was in position he would pop dudes! I hope he is back for this one.

Go say that to Sampson’s face, see how that goes for you.

1 Like

Building a basketball program is different than building a football program. You also have to remember that Kelvin was great for decades even before Dana was a grad assistant.

We’re two games into a stop-start season playing against a team that was repeatedly mentioned as a CFP candidate the entire game. (Did I mention they have one of the five most talented QBs in the country?)

The game could have gone either way after the third Quarter.

I take solace in the much improved OL play. A concern so grave over the past decade I thought I’d never see one here. We’re young and undisciplined but that can be directed. Dana took a player out of the game last night. But he has to try to win too.

That is a true statement.

I will. lol I’d still be correct and he’d probably agree. I never said building a basketball program was easy. I said it wasn’t harder than building a football program.

Plus the people calling for Kelvin’s head after 2 seasons were either delusional or clueless, or both. It took all of about watching him coach a couple of games to realize how good he is. I was telling anyone who listened that he was as good a basketball coach as UH has had, and Guy V was a Hall of Famer.

I 1000% agree.

Sampson was on a somewhat hot seat going into year 3, but everybody who knew basketball expected the team to be much better. It is easier to rebuild a basketball team in general, you only need 8 legitimate guys to win. Its hard to win in football without 8 legitimate offensive linemen alone. Look at what Sampson did in 2015, got Dotson as a transfer, Rob Gray from Juco, Galen from high school, and throw in Harris as well. In 2016, Devin Davis as a transfer and Armoni from high school. Boom, program built. An NBA guy, three G-League players, a top level Euro, and another pro. Then he hit again with Corey and Fabian the next year. NOT saying that is easy by any means, because it is not and you still have to coach these guys up and use them correctly (Harris would not have even made it to his senior season under a Dickey staff). Sampson is super special. Dana is not on his level, but UH will never have a top 5-10 college football coach again unless there is a P5 invite. Two completely different situations with college basketball and football.

2 Likes

Exactly. In basketball you can have one superstar and 4 decent guys clicking as a team and you have something special. In football if you have one superstar and a handful of decent guys, you get Ed Oliver vs SDSU or Fresno State. Then there’s the playbooks, and rosters that dwarf those of basketball. The OP is false equivocation and I’m very disappointed to see people are actually agreeing with it.

That type of thinking will have people disappointed. These things take time, but I still think CDH and this team are ahead of schedule given the issues of last year.

1 Like

Of course they were delusional… and now they have moved to the football forum.

They are delusional where ever they go.

1 Like

If it’s so “easy”, why was there 34 years between UH NCAA wins? Forget wins, there was all of 1 NCAA appearance between 1992 and 2018.

OK, so do we get to take out CDH first season also? Because he had 36 red shirts, transfers waiting and a lot of injuries. Now he is 1-1 not 4-8. CAn we wait to see where we are after the 2nd Covid messed with season? We played a team t

sampson was never on the hotseat or even remotely close…no fan called for sampson to be fired… sampson had us in the NIT year 2 with mostly juco (our second NIT or NCAA in 10 years)…

there was dissent during the early Sampson years…but it revolved around his assistants and our inability to recruit top talent. the debates were about getting rid of brooks and bringing in a guy like maligi …there has never been any doubts about sampson from our fans outside of recruiting…the calls were sampson is clearly an elite coach, he has us winning with juco, imagine him with james dickey’s rosters we need to bring in assistants with ties

1 Like