OOC schedule

Texas State will be solid. Possibly top 100 team.

1 Like

What we know so far.

@Oregon
@South Carolina
@Rice
BYU
Oklahoma State
UTEP
Texas State

Diamondhead Classic

Portland - Game 1
Boise State or Georgia Tech - Game 2
Hopefully Washington - Game 3

What does that leave us with? Two or three more games to announce?

2 Likes

Texas State was a top 100 team a good chunk of last year.

Danny Kaspar will have them playing tough defense and Nijal Pearson is a pretty good scorer. They’re like a store brand version of that SLU team that gave us a scare last year.

1 Like

BYU confirmed?

Last year was Rodney Terry’s first there. He had a respectable, though unspectacular run at Fresno State before moving to UTEP. I’m guessing he gets UTEP back to respectable but not to a team that can contend for an at large berth.

Terry was one of the candidates here when Dickey got the job for what it’s worth.

2 Likes

That’s not terrible, not great but not terrible. I’d like to see a bigger needle mover in the home slate besides OSU. But that seems unlikely at this point.

But Rice, UTEP, and Portland that it’s some scheduling dead weight right there. Plus side maybe we can give guys 7-12 a bunch of in game experience in those games.

That is uninspiring if he couldn’t beat out Dickey.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! Geez looking back at how far we have come! We’ll never have to worry about retreads for potential coaches again!

That was Rhoades’ call. Terry probably would have been better but not gotten us close to where we are now. Same for Bob Marlin, who was the backup plan but took the Ulala gig while we were negotiating with Gillispie and I guess while Rhoades was trying to get Dr. K to approve BCG.

The others were Chris Walker (had a terrible year in 1 year as interim coach after BCG got fired at Tech, but probably not fair to judge him solely on that) and John Lucas, who I think really wanted the job at that time but was never considered a serious candidate and may not have even gotten an interview.

BCG made sense but Dr. K was obviously right to veto that one with hindsight. We should have gone with Luke otherwise out of that group.

I feel like a big name is going to be announced. 80% of our schedule is known. It doesn’t take much to schedule a UTRGV or Coppin State. If those were the teams we were scheduling to round out the OOC, we would already have the OOC schedule released.

4 Likes

I’ve been to two sporting events at OK St. They are some of the sweetest people I’ve met. Always appeared like they prided themselves on being good hosts and going out of their way to be friendly. Everyone from the fans in the stadium to the convenience store people.

It was nice knowing my family could go downstairs at halftime and not have to worry about being cursed at or abused.

But that’s just one guy’s experience.
I always thought their games brought value to our schedule.

10 Likes

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/1156267761691168769?s=20

1 Like

Been there for a football game as well, great people.

Scheduling for basketball has some of the same problems as for football. Yes, we want to play some of the real blue blood teams; but getting them to agree to playing us is a whole different story.

3 Likes

Exactly! We will just have to beat them come tourney time!

Red, why do you think the bluebloods refuse in BB? We have been winning now, you would think we would add to their resume.

1 Like

Not really.

Yes bluebloods refuse. They play just a few games away from home and some are so afraid of losing they do not want to come in and play us in the Fertitta Center.

I had an identical experience for football in 09, first rate fans.

It’ll be a loooooong time (if ever) before we get on their football schedule again, but I hope we can keep the series going in hoops.

2 Likes

The cream of the crop blue bloods play nearly zero true road OOC games. They play at home and neutral site against other blue bloods.

5 Likes