OOC schedule

You missed my point

1. you beat an elite team, eye test will have you with a minimum… its not computers picking …you beat Duke and play 8 scrubs… the committee will recogonize you beat Duke

LSU and Utah State were elite last year… Not a single team we play except potentially Washington even has a chance to be elite

1. you are comparing reality to preseason hope…
    “everyone in the conference will be Better” “South Carolina will be a Q1” “Oregon is guaranteed to make the tourney”

Most of these bubbles will burst when the season starts… I hope those things happen… but they aren’t guarantees
If we are comparing on hope… last year’s schedule “during preseason” had more hope.

Likely fell through

1 Like

Last year: 14 OOC games

This year: 11. We might still get something

We get Oregon on the road. And you’re saying they have “no chance” to be elite. Lol. Going to love to hear why. And would love to have heard you before last season saying Utah State will be elite. FYI, Utah State was bounced in the first round last year.

and cincy and Virginia was elite when they were bounced in the 1st round last 2 seasons ago

i think oregon could be good… .not elite

and no chance is strong, but very tiny chance, to be elite…they could be a tourney team as a lower seed… as a road game theyll be tier 1 …they lost 5 players they expected to come back to the draft (probably should have stayed as most went undrafted), lost 2 more unexpectedly to transfer…they still have 2 ships to fill today…but picked up 4 grad transfers and a juco so far

1 Like

I’ll agree with you. We don’t have an LSU on our schedule this year. Utah State was very good last year. Washington should be a top 25-30 team this year. That replaces Utah State, except we will get UW on a neutral floor and not at home. Replace LSU at home with Oregon on the road. Another Q1. The perception won’t be there with Oregon as it was with LSU, but it is a Q1 game.

After that, who did we beat OOC last year? Oregon disappointed all year until their run in the conference tourney. Saint Louis was bad. OSU was not a good team. And then throw in those 6 or 7 Q4 games. We have just as many possible Q1 games on this schedule as we did last season. And then we cut our Likely Q4 games in half. Throw in a better conference schedule. We have a better schedule this year.

1 Like

how can you say OSU was not a good team… when that osu team will likely be the level of the south carolina will be next season…one of the games you are touting

saint louis was “bad” but were still a tourney team, and had a legitimate reason for their mid season slump…one of their highest recruits transferred out mid season

remove the homer googles–from everything you know about the committee…is this team, even undefeated in the non con, getting a 1/2 seed??? im not even sure about a 3 seed

Bama State #330
BYU #89
AT Rice #217
At Oregon #41
Houston Baptist #292
Texas State #139
At South Carolina #79
UT Arlington #160
Oklahoma State #72
UTEP 290
Portland 265
Gtech/Boise State #127/149
UTEP/Washington/Ball State/Hawaii #44

This schedule is garbage. We have 2 Big name teams and the rest are Texas teams. I would have given up a home game for a big name. What was the point of getting better if the schedule looks like this.

1 Like

garbage is strong lol we can make the tourney on this schedule…

BYU is going to be very good this year. They return everyone, and don’t have the Nick Emery distraction. I think Oklahoma State has a chance to be really good. They return everyone. Oregon and Washington are tourney teams. I like this schedule a lot more than last year’s.

One of Texas State or UT-Arlington will win the Sun Belt next year. When it is all said and done, this OOC will produce 5 tourney teams.

1 Like

I mean at least St Louis Utah Oregon OSU LSU back to back was fine. But, to me Texas state, Arlington, UTEP, HBU, Rice. That’s alot of Texas schools that dont do it for me. And for those who arent going to Hawaii it’s kind of a let down. If it was Virginia and they decided to go another route that sucks too but they are champions so they can dictate what they do.

Btw who’s that’s other ASU. There are 2 of them on the schedule.

We had 13 OOC games last year and 13 this year.

Cannot count “exhibition” games .

1 Like

I look at the schedule differently…

I see only 2 games that are on a weekend (for OOC games)…and one of those is the exhibition.

That means 12 games of fighting rush hour traffic !!..not counting the conference games during the week.

2 Likes

Angelo State. It’s an exhibition. Not a game that goes to the win-loss record.

byu is also changing head coaches, which could be good or horrible

i like oklahoma state in the 40-ish range as a bubble team, will be one of the best 3pt shooting teams in the nation

i dont see oregon as a tourney team…i see them as a NIT team…their roster got worse but you are projecting them better…
im also pretty sure Georgia southern is the sunbelt preseason favorite, texas state has a legitimate chance…im not buying uta

imo last year we had a great schedule but bad tourney…this year we are completely relying on the tourney…
“during preseason last year” we were expect to play the #2 and #4 recruting classes in the nation (lsu oregon)…and the best recruiting non major team in saint louis…oklahoma state was expected to be good when the schedule was announced (they hadnt yet dismissed the 4 players)

during preseason last year, i Hated our preseason toureny, but legtimately felt we could play some elite teams …this preseason we are trying to convince ourselves that a projected bottom 3 SEC team (south carolina) and a bunch of rebuilding p5 are great…and praying we meet Washington in a tourney…which isnt even guaranteed

We feel the same about Okie State. I really like BYU to be a top 35-40 team. The only teams we are really far off in our projections are Oregon and UTA. It doesn’t seem like you have your mind made up one way or another with BYU. Getting Yoeli Childs back was huge.

Would some of you guys like some cheese to go with that whine? Worrying about an NCAA BB tourney seeding at this point in time seems to me to be ridiculous and arrogant. Last time I looked, this is not a Kentucky or Duke or North Carolina fan board, but rather a UH fan board. (It sounds like we may have some closet UT wannabes on here.)

C’mon fella’s if we’re going to be a respected program, we should be interested in going to see the UH BB team continue to develop and get better, irrespective of the name on the opponent’s jersey. Memphis will bring in the #1 recruiting class (and #1 recruit) in the country and other AAC teams such as Cincy, UCONN, Wichita State and SMU will all be better.

Look I didn’t come to Hofheinz Pavilion to see future pro players like Robert Parrish or Larry Bird or Dwayne Wade but rather the UH BB team.

I would suggest that we all just come out and enjoy the show. Hope to see many of you this evening.

2 Likes

yes i would like some cheese…also this wasnt about attendance, it was about tourney seeding…everyone here will support the program regardless

and the core of this convo is that we would like for our school to make deep runs in the tourney. and the path to that is not meeting great teams early in the tournament

also a funny note: you mention we arent elite programs, why are we worrying about seeding…then note we should be a top program and support our team…you want us to be duke or not lol

1 Like

Its not an amazing schedule, but we’re replacing 4 starters and while the talent is as good as its been in many, many years a lot of guys are going to be figuring out new roles.

For the youth and inexperience we’ll be working through around non-conference time this is good. If we aren’t a bit more ambitious in 2020-21 I might be a tad disappointed, but as others have said I think we’re at the point where we don’t need big glitzy names to get good crowds for a UH basketball game.

2 Likes

We’re also in the position of coming off a Sweet 16 run, with a team that was known to be 10 deep or better, a majority of whom are returning with high quality additions, and a well respected big time coach and a strong conference on the rise. We’re in benefit of the doubt territory. We’re not upstarts anymore, that was two years ago.

5 Likes