Quentin Grimes (Update: Houston)

It is actually not too bad. The last comment I read on page 4 even referenced how the FC and and practice facilities are top notch and probably played a role in his decision. Went on to say Reed Arena needs a renovation.

4 Likes

One thing I did catch them say is the family has supposedly hired a well known attorney in dealing with these matters to help him get the waiver to play.

4 Likes

That Debbie Downer episode is the best! lol

This guy looks legit. Those games vs Mumphish are gonna be super hard to get! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yea, it seems like ATM is so used to being a glutton that they weren’t all that hot on Grimes. In fact, I couldn’t read anything where they were that confident in picking him off. The thread really devolved into a critique of their current roster. Disappointing.

If I ever appear to be wavering in my hatred for ATM I need someone to shake me and tell me to snap out of it.

2 Likes

His picking of Houston over an SEC program is gold. Major publicity for Sampson and UH’s program. It sure is nice to be back in the limelight after so many years in the shadows.

6 Likes

Can we get Corey’s mom on the payroll somehow?

6 Likes

Great time to be a season ticket owner!

2 Likes

Please Make This Happen Right Now, if only just to keep her posting here!!! Honorary Degree…something??!

3 Likes

this is right on. Quit building programs that do not contribute to your home community and build something special at home.

3 Likes

I really don’t see how a top local recruit or any recruit for that matter could have come to a game last season and not been excited with the prospect of staying home and playing.
Forget the attendance numbers, that is not what players look at, it is the the atmosphere when they visit.
Games in austin and college Station didn’t have anything on our games.

2 Likes

Article from Kansas 247 writer last season on Grimes. Seems he had a lot of pressure put on his shoulders and there were all kind of voices speaking at him. I think CKS can help him tune out that noise and allow him to be who he needs to be:

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/LongFormArticle/Feature-Quentin-Grimes-emerging-for-KU-basketball-as-Bill-Self-saw-129697270/

He’s also comfortable speaking on what Rothstein calls a “microwave culture,” the idea that five-star freshmen feel pressure to get to the NBA as quick as possible even if they aren’t ready.

“It’s unfortunate we don’t give these kids a chance to grow, but the expectation is that he’s a McDonald’s All-American and the NBA Draft boards, whoever is doing that, say he’s going to be the No. 12 pick,” Boynton said of Grimes. “And then he has two bad games and it’s like he sucks. No. No. He’s just learning.”

Boynton continued, cracking a smile and lowering his voice as if to highlight a perceived absurdity of the situation. “You know, he’s playing college basketball. The dude’s playing at Kansas.”

1 Like

Athletic CBB writer

https://twitter.com/CJMooreHoops/status/1144358114889740290

Another Athletic Basketball writer

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/1144352425437851648

1 Like

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1144360874813075458

1 Like

Harden and Gordon showing up at so many UH games was bound to have a positive impact on recruits. It’s good to hear one mention it.

4 Likes

Forgot that he won the Guy V Lewis Award in '18. So we lose one winner (Galen) and gain another.

Grimes won the 2018 Guy V. Lewis Award which goes to the top boys high school player in the Greater Houston area.

5 Likes

What exactly is in the new bylaws that will make it more difficult for transfers? I have not seen any specifics. And should there not be a grace period for any current players who started the process prior to this going into effect.?

I think so… Grace period should last until school starts in the Fall.

its not new bylaws technically, just “better re-wording their guidelines”…they say they are just clarify what they are looking for and get the previous schools more involved

they are saying its the same requirements just want you to provide more information. and clarify what they consider “coming home” … the new school must be within 100miles of your home

it got a lot of backlash because it gave specifics to what they are looking for, instead of the older more broader guidelines…and now you need written statements from the old schools athletic directors …meaning if a school doesnt want you to get immediately eligibility now, it will be harder to get it

none of the new guidelines should affect grimes :

• it is rumored grimes (or his lawyer) was aware of the 100mile radius and that’s why he only looking at houston and a&m
  • a couple media people have noted that he will have full support of the kansas staff

the chances with the old guidlines and new guidelines will be about the same…we just don’t know what those chances are

2 Likes

it will have a bigger effect on smu than us…

they have 2 transfers projected to start, applying for waivers,…one went to cal, and came back closer to home where his family is dealing with some stuff…smu fans were extremly confident on landing the waivers
the issue is that both transfers are from houston…dallas is not within a 100 miles of houston

1 Like

Ok so I’m stuck to this like glue now.

What kind of process is this going to be? He applied for a waiver to play immediately. When do we expect to know if that happens?

Edit - sorry didn’t read the posts above, that helps understand what the guidelines are.

But what is the timeline like?