SMU, SMU

Much like Herman and Ward, Dikes is tied to Shane at the hip. I think he returns for Buechele’s senior year but is gone after that.

I don’t like Sonny, Spike, or anyone else. I love Holgorsen though. And Renu…and okra.

8 Likes

Right there with you… up until that last part…unless it is fried :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

What about in gumbo?

3 Likes

You have a point.

1 Like

I only like okra in gumbo; but doesn’t okra mean gumbo or vice versa? But I really like gumbo like my mom and grandmother made it which was without making it hot and allowing each person to put in as much red hot (tobasco) as they liked. Now, instead of the red hot, I use Tiger Sauce which is a differently spiced hot sauce.

BTW, my grandmother was cajun – maiden name Anaise Bonvillain.

2 Likes

Come on Pat, tell us how you really feel; don’t hold back.

1 Like

I think we are brothers… Gumbo and Creole Okra, my two favorite dishes!

I am now desiring Cajun and Creole food at 9:03pm!

1 Like

Some where in the wood pile back when part of my ancestor’s DNA is 8% French and 3% Basque … but not cajun …

I make my gumbo the easy quick WAY and I buy everything at HEB … hot jalapenoe sausage … schrimp chopped up breast chicken … frozen brown/or spanish rice … frozen okra … Tony’s Chachere’s hot mix and gumbo powder … stew over low heat for about 2 to 3 hours.

1 Like

A true connoisseur of fine cooking!

1 Like

Davy, you have to make the roux from scratch. I picked that up from mom. I can’t put crab in it, because my son’s allergies, but I prefer to add Okra, Sausage, Chicken. Scallops, & Shimps in it, while cooking a pot of white rice. Talking about good eating! Need some Tabasco Sauce with it.

2 Likes

And while we have diverted from the subject, it is a Cajun sin to use file’ and okra in the gumbo…choose one or the other but never both.

3 Likes

Gotta make the roux from scratch…my wife is from New Orleans. But in a pinch, Zatarans (sp) box mix is an okay substitute…
Gulf shrimp (nothing else) is the key, which is a challenge for us way out here…
The one great thing about being at the Tulane game was the food…

1 Like

Many years ago, on a trip to watch the ponies run, I had gumbo in Lafayette. It was home made with okra. I immediately learned to admire okra as much as I admired TU. NOT . . . . . IMHO, okra should be banned from the planet . . . . .

2 Likes

Okay I will try to get us back …

We will gumbo the ponies … feed purina okra (not much good for anything else) … scallop their fans (the few who do come down if any) … and tabasco sauce their undefeated patooties … to boot …

5 Likes

FYI - Culinary information - Bailey’s of La Place makes the best andouille in the state. They also make a “Gumbo Mix” which allows you to make a restaurant quality gumbo in 90 minutes.

Years ago, my cajun buddy who self glosses as the “Trophy Husband” extolled the virtues of Bailey’s andouille. On our way to the Tulane game we stopped by Bailey’s. I called TH and he said “get me 3 sticks of andouille and 4 boxes of gumbo mix” I replied “how many pounds?” to which he said “you don’t worry about pounds, get me 3 sticks and get them to cryovac pack them”. I did as instructed and doubled the order. He was right, they just sells sticks about 2 feet long. I got the same number of boxes of gumbo mix as he did.

When we made the gumbo from the box, we were amazed how good it was. It makes a lot too. I reordered a case of the stuff. Runs $4 - $5 a box

For a family gathering, it’s the bomb. Foolproof and better than many restaurants

1 Like

You speak treason, my Friend! Okra is one of the greatest vegetables ever created! Cooked along side Tomatoes and/or Corn…I can eat that every day. Shoot, I can eat that every day, even without meat. I declare today, Okra Day for all Coogfans, fried or boiled!!!

6 Likes

I’m anti-okra. Don’t like vegetables that fight back

2 Likes

Leave it to SMU to be devolved into a thread about southern spice methods and food preferences.Well done Coogs. They deserve it. lol

5 Likes