So I have a question

Back on the map…Yeoman and Pardee had us on the map before things de-railed. And let’s go ahead and give some love to Daddy Briles and Papa Maggard while you are rolling your credits because without those two teaming up the UH football program might have closed its doors.

And I will give my estimate to be:

30.0% Boos
00.1% Claps
69.9% Neither or an empty seat when Sumlin comes on the field

But back to the OP: P5 over G5 unless there is a compelling reason to otherwise set the favorite seems to be the approach. I am hoping UH can take care of Rice without the OC having to use everything in the mental playbook so he can surprise Arizona in the home opener. Should be a good one with ABC regional coverage.

1 Like

.Rice doesnt HAVE 15000 fans who come to ANY game, and hasnt for years…What few fans they have know whats coming in THAT game and have no interest to see it…25-30 thousand Houston fans…5-7 thousand Rice fans…maybe…

4 Likes

I see your point, but am not going to say he had nothing to do Keenums brilliance here. I think Sumlin has an uncanny ability to take advantage of a good quarterback at his disposal. I

I believe some credit should go to Kingsbury. I was fortunate to see some of the practices w/Keenum and Kingsbury. Kingsbury is a stud with qbs, but being a head coach has cut into that level of detail.

The overconfidence comes with a lack of facts. You do realize that we lost our last two games at Rice and the one before that we won by 1 point?

Sumlin was 0-2 at Rice Stadium (Keenum threw 5 TDs in one game)
Briles was 1-0 with a 1 point victory at Rice Stadium (we won the conference that year)
Dimel was 1-1 at Rice Stadium

Applewhite lost at Tulane and Tulsa last year. Not exactly putting the fear in the Rice fans.

I added the footnotes to our struggles against Rice to show it wasn’t just bad years either.

1 Like

Keenum lost to the James Casey team.

4 Likes

Wasn’t that the Rice team that sent 3 or more to the NFL? I want to say Casey, WR and LB but the names are escaping me. Still didn’t like losing to them and blame it on my $20 UH hoodie from Academy that I wore [same goes for the blue UH polo I wore to Reliant in that Rice loss]

nobody remembers that era unless you are really old. i grew up on the briles, sumlin, levine, herman and applewhite era. most people around my age does too. so yes sumlin put us on the map with that ok st and texas tech win.

Alfred, please do not make statements like that. This is against the spirit of this board. You know about civility. Please spend some time to learn about history. You will shocked to learn how strong we can really be given the chance. Tell your friends and their friends. Our past is what made us. Never ignore it.

3 Likes

my point is the current generation of UH fans dont care and know about the yeoman history and stuff. i sure as heck dont. its all about the current and past few years. yes sumlin put us on the map. if you want to say “he put us back on the map” then thats fine. bottom line is that he dont deserve to get booed. im happy sumlin was here and it was fun as a student having him as hc.

I won’t boo him but I hope like hell we stomp a mud hole in his current team. He had the chance to actually “put us back on the map” but shat the bed in the biggest opportunity that UH football had in a very long time.

that i can agree with. i wont boo him but i sure as heck want to beat a p5 school with him coaching.

I believe that Holgersen and Kingsbury had more to do with Keenum’s success. Now, it is true that Sumlin hired them. You saw what happened with Manzel when Kingsbury left after 1 year at a$m. Manzel wasn’t so good.

3 Likes

Actually, Sumlin was 0-2 at Rice stadium.

1 Like

sumlin’s problem was that he couldnt hire a dc to save his life. imagine if he had todd orlando or david gibbs coaching his defenses with that explosive offense. also sumlin isnt the best qb evaluator like you said. not sure what he was thinking deciding to start piland over broadway.

Sumlin’s lack of Defense lost at Rice stadium. However, that was the best Rice team in probably the last 15 years.

1 Like

As the saying goes, youth is wasted on the young !!

1 Like

The offensive coordinator at Rice that year was none other than Houston’s beloved Tom Herman. This may sound sacreligious but that Rice offense was a beauty.

Rice’s offense had some very good players that year, lots of seniors.

Could be that Herman was just lucky, timing wise, for the first time in his career.

Rice hired a nice new staff. They have a lot of big kids on their roster. They also get a warm up game against PVAM to work out some kinks. Way too many wild cards for a comment like aldine made about Rice fans “know whats coming.”