So I have a question

i doubt most UH hate A&M more. They haven’t been relevant in a LONG time. Texas will always be the most hated team in texas. if herman left to go to another school like south Carolina or even lsu i doubt he would get hated as he is now being the texas.

I agree if Shaggy. Hate A$M just as much as UT. Believe A$M was the first school to call us Cougar High

1 Like

Lol I’m not going to hold my hand near my chest and gawk in disbelief. It has nothing to do with being easily offended. I think people are still missing the point. I’ll put it in Barney terms this go around; I don’t care for the booing (in general), but people can do as they like and I will drink my beer and be loud for the Coogs. Let’s just hope those sections put equal amount of energy into being loud on 3rd down as they do booing a coach that will sleep well the later on that night. If not, then everyone in the stadium should be offended. hahaha

i hate a&m too but i hate the suckhorns even more.

Disagree. The officials in charge of structuring his contract are mainly the ones to blame. Like CMA’s there needs to be clauses in the contract that prevent coaches from getting up and leaving to rival schools. How long are we going to blame coaches for taking a job with more money? People keep assuming that there will be some loyalty to this university… It’s everything to us, but a head coach is position, a job. I understand it’s not what fans want to see but until we:

a.) Make UH more attractive for HCs to stay
b.) Make UH more attractive for HCs to stay

then it’s going to remain this way. I know I’m in the minority with this opinion because people got their feelings hurt(over-emotionally invest) but what are we to boo/blame every coach that takes advantage of a flawed setup? 99% of the people on this board would leave their position for 3 times the salary and wouldn’t blink. These coaches are only temporary. They moved on. We should too.

Why can’t coaches finish the season. The system sucks right now. It’s unfair to the players and fans for a coach to leave before the bowl game. Frost did right last year but only because of his ties to Nebraska, if every coach did it with respect to the school they were leaving we wouldn’t need to boo Sumlin and Herman and the UH would have been in some bigger bowl games.

2 Likes

Was how Herman left worse than Sumlin?

Seems to me its the other way around by a country mile.

honestly sumlin’s was. he didn’t have the team prepared for one of the biggest games in school history at the time. everyone and their momma knew herman was bouncing after the Memphis game. i think UH fans are salty because he left for Texas and the fact they thought he would be the exception to the rule and actually stay at UH. I was sad he left but i got over it.

1 Like

I’ve been in the stands at both UT & A&M. At UT, I and several other folks around me got drenched by flying beer-guess they didn’t like Paul Gipson getting robbed by the referees at the goal line- The UH faithful around me were booing as loud as they could because the call was terrible and cost UH a victory . (don;t know how the refs could sleep with that call-should of haunted them the rest of their lives)/ At A&M basketball game(Elvin Hayes era) the Aggies came out firing eggs at the Coog faithful when the game ended - I missed dodging the Egg throwing because I was on the other side of the arena. But I think both Herman and Sumlin really showed their lack of class by the way they left UH and they probably belong with the Beer and Egg throwing fans.

2 Likes

May I add to this. 2001. We played Texas at Robertson Stadium and loss 52 - 26 (Major Applewhite saved Texas in that game because Simms was getting rough up by Cougar D). We are already mad we loss and their fan base was teasing us and yell stupid names at us…this made me angry, but when 60 and 70 year old UT fans were talking trash, this infuriated me! Their mature fans were immature as well…needless to say I had to walk off because those guys and gals wanted us Coogs to fight them…I can’t stand Texas or its fans…

1 Like

It’s not that he left us, it is that he checked out while we were still playing football. By spending that week working on his aggie contract instead of game planning and practicing for the championship game he cost us:
a) an undefeated season that would have been our first
b) a conference championship
c) our first BCS bowl
d) a possible top 10 finish
e) the money from the bcs bowl.
Additionally, if you read his comments about having coached at UH he still does not respect us.

7 Likes

That’s all understood. Let me ask you this, if he would have left after all of those things were taken care of, would fans(you included) still harbor resentment for him? Do you think people would cheer for him upon his return? I find it hard to believe people would welcome him with open arms. I understand he behaved like a dirt bag prior to his move, but I think he’d be booed all the same. No one here would boo Levine, and it has little to do with how he left, but everything to do with people being overly attached to successful coaches (Sumlin, Herman). Hence the debate between who should be booed more. Again, the administration should be working hard to protect our program. I think they are trying but this being the most attractive G5 job, rising stars will end up here, and they will leave until then. Just the cold honest truth.

EDIT: I have not read any specific comments he said about UH, but if they are disrespectful then I’ll join in on the the booing! lol

Obviously i wasn’t following UH back then (I was an OU fan when I was little). how was the atmosphere at that game? What about the tailgating? I wish UT played us again especially at tdecu.

It was mostly Whorn fans - probably 75/25. The tailgating scene at that time in our history was very poor. The fans who started following UH at the end of Briles’ time or later really can’t understand how bad it was. They almost shuttered the program… that bad.

Last year when Kingsbury and Gibbs entered the stadium with Texas Tech, I did not hear any boos. In fact, people in my area which is directly behind the visitor bench were very cordial recognizing that they had been good coaches for us, Kingsbury staying for the bowl game and Gibbs leading the team in the bowl game as interim head coach.

I am also not inclined to boo the other team coach although I do hope we beat the crap out of Arizona because Sumlin is the coach.

4 Likes

If he had finished the job at UH like Frost did at UCF then Summie would have left with the respect of all Cougars. It is the way he and Briles and Herman left that fuels the disgust.

8 Likes

No the problem is that instead of just arguing your position you often seek to call out posters personally, make them wrong, and try to take them down a peg with snark. Instead of taking shots a people, try just stating your position and have a discussion.

And, saying we are going to trash Rice, is just having fun. It’s called being a fan. If you feel differently, try stating your difference without taking a shot at the other person.

Any one on this board who thinks Rice has any chance of beating us is dreaming. We are at worst the 4th best team in the sixth best conference in the country. Rice is 12th in CUSA. They have 3 starters back on offense and 7 on defense. The game is going to be over by half time.

Game better not be over by halftime, Alfred paid over $100 for this one and I know he wants his monies worth. 4 quarters or a partial refund.

I do like my man Alfred. Will say hi to him when I see him at the game.

Exactly. I have absolutely no problem with any coach leaving to better his situation (in his opinion anyway) or his family. Just do it with respect for the school and the players that helped you get that opportunity in the first place. Integrity, respect and honesty in all things. 3 of our last 4 head coaches showed none of these traits, so they are all dead to me.

7 Likes