So I have a question

Thisā€¦so much this.

I get wanting more money, but thereā€™s a certain way to exit a company, organization, etcā€¦especially one that gave you your first chance at a head coaching gig and didnā€™t treat you badly. One was actively recruiting for his new school on our dime to the point that we had to kick him and his staff to the curb, one drank and played footsie with the collies during one of the biggest weeks in our programā€™s history, and one decided that his career was way more important than one of the most important seasons in our programā€™s history. They all showed their class, or lack thereof, when it mattered most.

13 Likes

NCAA/conferences could fix this with the stroke of a pen ā€¦

Maybe the NCAA could regulate coach recruiting the same way they do the player recruiting. Black out period (no contact allowed) August 1 to January 31.

1 Like

I was pissed at people in my section (family plan section at the time) who had sold their tickets. I was surrounded by horns fans. At least they were cordial for the most part.

Also, the tailgate was spectacular that day. Best Iā€™d ever seen for a UH game (started going to games in 1987) even though there were lots of horn fans. I think that tailgate watered the seed that was planted by moving games to campus. Seems to me tailgating markedly improved going forward even though we didnā€™t start winning for a few years. Then againā€¦maybe I just drank more.

the effect of the mismanagement of UH athletics through the '90s. darkest period of the University.

1 Like

Maybe. I still think our best bet is to get into a power 5. Until that happens, our officials need to structure the head coach contracts so if the team checks out because they are suspecting he is looking elsewhere or isnā€™t coaching (i.e. SMU & Memphis 2016), then there needs to be a penalty. We would at least get some of our money back and maybe thatā€™ll keep coaches engaged on finishing as strong as they started. And if coaches donā€™t want to sign here because of that then so be it. All of this is said with the understanding that we will have another Sumlin and Herman who may not have the same moral compass as people who are considerate. It will happen again(humans can be crappy); we need to be ready!

What if only a dimel or Helton or Levine are willing to sign such a contract ?

Then they do and we no longer have to worry about getting trapped doored by premature departures. Or, the rising stars donā€™t sign and people get used to the idea that not every human being(coaching aside) is considerate or honest (i.e. shifting the blame to where it should be). That means expecting every coach that comes in here and finds success to leave early in a crappy way until he proves otherwise. It happens all over the country, and we are not immune to it until we figure out how to make sure we are. Somebody thatā€™s a rising star will sign because it will still be their first head coaching position and secondly, this is still the most attractive G5 job.

It is a Coog birthright to be underdogs. Donā€™t know any other way as a Coog fan, I love it.

Makes it that much sweeter when we beat the favored team.

4 Likes

The same could be said about Herman.

Herman checked out while we were still playing football in 2016. By spending those weeks interviewing/negotiating with multiple other schools instead of game planning and practicing for all of our games that season he cost us:
a) an undefeated season that would have been our first
b) a conference championship
c) our first PLAYOFF bowl
d) a possible number 1 finish
e) the money from the playoffs

2 Likes

He checked out after we lost to Navy so we had already lost the undefeated season and even if we were undefeated we would not have been in the playoffs. They are exclusively for the P5. The best we could have hoped for was to be ranked 5th. What Herman really did was treat us like a door mat that he wiped his feet on on the way out.

1 Like

Itā€™s not that they left itā€™s how they left. Briles, sumlin and herman got their 1st collegiate hc job here. The lack of respect for that is maddening. All 3 went on to become massive millionaires. Things could have been much different if we had not given them their shot. It pisses me off to no end.

3 Likes

I posted this about scumlin in another thread. Here it is again.
Laughing it off sums up the man that he is. The proper way to answer this could have been a simple sorry and move on from more questions. He is adding fuel to the fire. That is idiotic and speak greatly of his character. It is appalling and frankly I am very disappointed in Duarte for letting him off the hook. When you answer like this hard questions should have been flying. This is not funny not funny at all Mr.Duarte. Moreover his categorical answers about our last game preparation and execution tell me everything. As a Coach I can tell you that it was crystal clear that our Team was not prepared and he/scumlin did not have a proper game plan.
Now letā€™s look at the facts. Who benefited from his exit?
scumlin and atm
Who lost & how much?
U of H and millions of Dollars. Dollars that we did not have & desperately needed. Recruits that thought twice after he left.
I can forgive everyone. I am a Christian but to laugh it off like this? How are you freaking kidding me?
Like I mentioned earlier. the proper way to welcome him will be to have 40,000 fans turn their backs on him. That would make a great statement to a so called Coach and leader of Men.

1 Like

I hope your day gets better !!

I disagree. These players are old enough to know who he is. They know he left the school in a shady way. If CMA is smart, heā€™s using this as part of his pre-game speech. TDECU will be rocking and the players will feed off this!

People are really trying to extend this story line. These players are between 18-21 years of age. Unless they were legacy Coogs and grew up watching our program(most are not), I doubt that they are harboring a grudge for him. Sumlin started in 2008 and itā€™s 2018. Do the math, these kids would have been 11 or younger. And I hope CMA isnā€™t using it in his pregame speech, he would look like an idiot because they donā€™t know or care who he is. They do know Arizona is a P5 school coming to the Cage; that should be enough motivation in itself. Leave the grudges for us old men.

True! No coog ever say we hate that Jack Pardee left UH for the Oilers.

True, most just disliked Bud Adams !

1 Like

I just hope the energy from the stands is palpable and the players feed off that. I really donā€™t care if they harbor any grudges themselves. I just want to be part of an electric atmosphere that results in total embarrassment for Sumlin and Zona.

2 Likes