Texas A&M Alum Here

Also, how would anyone actually get their address? It is probably unlisted.

I agree there should be but I have received some where the postmark was on the back or missing. Hopefully they can trace it back and find the sender.

I found his address using Google. It took under a minute.

Wow, that is surprising. Most public figures make sure they are unlisted.

1 Like

I’m sad that people who call themselves sports fans can harbor such thoughts.

2 Likes

That letter is such a chickenshit move

2 Likes

Eh. I don’t really think we’re a very good cultural fit there. Given the choice, I’d much rather wind up in the ACC or Pac.

3 Likes

Just imagine how much it would piss off t.u. though

2 Likes

Actually TSU became a university because of a court case where UT denied an African American access to their law school. Instead of doing that, the legislature changed TSU from a JC to a university so African Americans would have a place to go instead of UT

Too many conferences keep thinking about wanting to get Texas into their conference, but if you look at why all the teams left it is because they are horrible conference partners. What they should look at doing instead is castrating UT. This could easily be done by conferences poaching their regional competition.
I’m going to throw a scenario out there, it doesn’t mean those schools would be the top choices or best fit, it is just an example of how the horns could be relagated to steer status.
PAC takes OSU and Houston. BIG takes Kansas and OU. SEC takes TCU. ACC takes Baylor and SMU.
Texas would be left without a conference and would have to recruit against all the regional teams that were in money conferences. They would never be a power again.

2 Likes

3 Likes

That’s true. That happened in the mid-1940s. But how did the JC get established? Both (what became UH and TSU) were JCs started by HISD in 1927.

1 Like

So TSU was to UT as Prairie View ATM was to ATM - the place for their black student/applicants. [NOTE: UH was not really involved at that point in time because UH was a private (not state supported) school.]

Further, for those of us that were around when UH entered the SWC, we still remember the prejudiced/racist comments/jokes about UH from UT and/or ATM alumni.

One such example - “Do you know the definition of Renege? It’s when UH puts in their 2nd team.” —> So don’t try to tell me that older UT and ATM fans aren’t prejudiced/racist because I’ve seen it and heard it many times from lots of members of their older fan-base.

Another example was when older UT fans chanted back “white” instead of “fight” after hearing “Texas” from the other side of their stadium in honor of their 1969 (proud to tell you) last all-white national championship FB team. And yes, I heard that too.

TSU was not to UT as PV A&M was to TAMU.

There are some similarities, but if there was no “white” JC created by HISD, there most likely would not have have been a JC for African American students, thus no TSU. TSU was a private school until the UT-Law case in the mid-40s. So if you want to attribute (or implicate) UT for forcing TSU into a state funded institution, I guess that can be said.

My original point; your earlier post above implied that PV A&M was created because TAMU didn’t want African American students, and my point was that what became TSU and what became UH was established on the same day by the same organizer for the sole purpose of having a separate (and unequal?) schools. Thus, let’s not cast stones.

Sumlin’s address is easily obtainable from the Brazos County Appraisal District. It’s still visible under his name. You’d think with his cash that he’d create a trust without his name in it so that it would be hidden.

I wonder how uneven the TSU and UH JCs were in the seven years before UH became a four year university. When did A&M add women? Non-military? Was PVAMU really seen as the African-American alternative to A&M or was it added to the A&M system at a much later date?

Yes, PV A&M and TAMU were created at the same time. There were predominate former slaves turned politicians (can’t remember their names) who are credited with adding the provision for an institution that would cater to African American (or “colored”) students. (There may also have been a federal law following the civil war forcing the inclusion of PV A&M.) Much like what became TSU and what became UH was created on the same day by HISD, the same bill that created what became TAMU also created what became PV A&M. PV A&M is considered the second oldest state university
but it could be argued that it and TAMU are both the oldests
but that wouldn’t fly in most circles today.

If they own the house, it likely shows up on the county appraisal district website.

I sat next to Sumlins mom and dad on several occasions and while they were quiet folks, I found them to be friendly. The few times I spoke with Kevin’s wife I found her to be cordial but stand offish which I can kind of understand. The times I spoke with Coach Sumlin I found him to be an arrogant arse. In my opinion and as others have said, Sumlin hit the jackpot when he inherited Case and again when he inherited Manzell. While I think Sumlin probably is a good delegator I don’t think he is anything more than lucky as a coach. Other than that and the comment from another poster saying that Sumlin was not a JohnnyCougar fan I am glad he is gone. I hope A&M cans his butt and he fades away into oblivion.

1 Like

He has no ethics
UH vs USM, we win, we go to Sugar Bowl, we lost we went to Toilet Bowl. He is truly Scumlin in my book. I am surprised it took this long for his lack of coaching talent to become apparent.

4 Likes

Coaching: For the most part, he did a good job and had the team ready unless he was distracted

From personal interactions with him at small alum events, he came across as an arrogant, condescending jack hole. He was never that way to me personally but I saw this behavior first hand and close up. Look, some people ask dumb questions. I get it, but if they are dumping money into your program, you can at least be courteous to them.

1 Like

It showed fairly early to fans with a keen eye. His ability to recruit talented players is what has kept him afloat for so long in my opinion.