The Blaze

I believe that the UH Frontiersmen go back to the 1940’s to somewhere near the very start of UH football.

Just looked it up - Shasta was established in 1947 and the Frontiersmen in 1948. So, these two things are among UH’s oldest and most established traditions.

3 Likes

Hey so was segregation. We are talking about frontiersmen 2.0 with the highly contrived dream tale they like to quote. The frontiersmen weren’t around the run and shoot days and they didn’t have 'Blaze" back then either. It was an air siren to go with the bombers they played on the Astrodome video screen. All this stuff with the hockey dusters and oil field siren and the name “Blaze” was just made up BS during the Helton/Dimel years.

They were “around” during the R&S years, but they weren’t that visible.

This is a good recap:

2 Likes

The Frontiersman were established at UofH in 1948 "as the result of a concentrated effort to promote more school spirit within the student body.”

The oil siren called “The Blaze” was chosen because of the University’s involvement in the petroleum industry and to represent the “Air Raid” style of offense UH employed.

1 Like

We didn’t run the air raid offense until 2008. I think that part of the story may be a bit of a stretch.

2 Likes

We ran the Run N Shoot that had a lot of passing as well in the late 80s and early 90s. David Kingler still has the all season passing TD record for UH. We threw the ball a lot during that time period. Maybe you need to read up on UH football history because it was not just Case’s era that thru it around a lot. In fact Ware won his Heisman under the Run N Shoot. So the Frontiersman and the air raid siren is not made up.

LA Basin used Hemi-powered air raid sirens

Maybe we could get one surplus

5 Likes

I know that and don’t need a history lesson. The air raid was a different offense invented later. Did anyone call the run and shoot an air raid type offense? If anything, people called the air raid a run and shoot type offense. The run and shoot came first.

1 Like

Which is more of a reason the Blaze should stay. UH has a deep history of fast-paced offenses that can put a lot of passing TDs up.

1 Like

No disagreement from me. I like the Blaze.

1 Like

Awesome!

so what fraternity do the current Frontiersman come from?

I believe “blaze” is named after a UH student who committed suicide. It was to honor him.

I have no problem with the blaze…be it an air raid or oil field siren. I get irritated they can’t get it working, yet again. They did a go fund me a bit back which I gave to but it was never fixed. I agree and have said as much regarding an earlier post, gut the insides use the shell. How hard would it be to just play a recording through it via speaker? Is it really that hard?

1 Like

In Joseph Duarte’s October 11,2018, Cougars Mailbag he answered as follows about where is The Blaze. “Since 1991, The Blaze - an oilfield warning siren representative of the UH ties to the petroleum industry. The Blaze is named after avid U of H supporter, David Carl Blazek, who passed away the summer before the siren was introduced.” The Frontiersman told Duarte they sent it off for electrical repairs and hope to have it back by the USF game."

1 Like

We have both Tech and Engineering School you would think one of those could fix it.

1 Like

Also in Duarte’s Cougar’s Mailbag about The Blaze - “When I reached out to the Frontiersman they told me we discovered there were electrical issues that needed to be repaired by the manufacturer.”

I like the Blaze, but isn’t it a bit incongruous to have an oil field warning siren operated by a bunch of cowhands?

Yes. Nothing about the tradition really makes sense, imho. I think Herman criticized it for the same reason when he was here too.

Make it sound like an actual air raid siren and I’m good, makes sense; otherwise dump that caterwauling thing.

1 Like

You guys do realize we live in the Petro capital of the US right? The air siren like the Blaze has a history in oil. Also, oil workers back in the day did wear dusters in the oil fields. So the Blaze and Frontiersman are symbols for not only Houston but Texas. also before Houston boomed in the 50s and 60s, it was nothing but oilfields and cattle fields, so there were probably a lot of cowhands in the area. Who gives rats a** what Herman thought of the Frontiersman. The white man that looked like a doofus with that grill and who kisses players on their cheek when they get off the bus.