The Road to the BIG12 is now in the Final Steps

:thinking: :smile: :sunglasses:

UHLaw weā€™re not ready for next season in my humble opinion. Need time to saddle upā€¦ like really tighten up the belt strap. Sometimes better to wait. Hate to start on bottom.

1 Like

So much truth to this comment.

We needed to show we can win. Big investments in facilities and salaries was just to play the game. Spending money is not enough.

We had to show we can win on a big stage to PROVE we are capable of doing it.

How Renu positioned us for this moment was absolutely brilliant.

Sampson taking UH to the final four gives us a current success story we can point to, strengthening the argument that we can win on a big stage. This goes a long way for perception.

I donā€™t want to speak too soon, and I could be wrong, but I think the chips finally landed in our favor.

2 Likes

Seriously.

I think that the Big 12 outsmarted the PAC.

They actually just walled off the rest of the country.

Who would the PAC go after now that could help them in a new media market?

4 Likes

Do you think any chance the 2 Confs worked together so the BIG12 wouldnā€™t crumble and they could both benefit in the future. I have no idea just asking out loud. Can see the BIG12 being part of the alliance that was recently formed once the realignment is completed.

1 Like

That would be ideal, BYU & Houston, taking over OU & UT schedules in 2022.

1 Like

we are not ready for big 12 for next year hopefully 2023

1 Like

Its kind of hard for the Big 12 to out smart anyone. This is the first good move they have made since Texas and OU bolted to the SEC. Of course it came after they brought Oliver Luck on board as an advisor.

1 Like

The Big 12 already knows that they have the votes to approve the invitations or we wouldnā€™t even be at this pointā€¦the final ā€œvoteā€ on Friday is just a dog and pony show to ceremoniously finalize it.

6 Likes

:100:

I love Ollie, he was the QB of WVU back in 1981 when I first became a fan of Mountaineer football.

Ninety-nine percent of everything going forward is in the hands of accountants and attorneys. :money_mouth_face:

No, the dog and pony show already happened 5 yrs agoā€¦Not Again! UH BOR Chairman would never have gotten on that tele-conf call if it wasnā€™t already 100% secure and in place for vote to be approvedā€¦ that part I agree with. Dog n Pony show was no Bueno.

1 Like

I second thatā€¦Kris Gardner and The HRReview do an excellent job covering UH menā€™s college basketball. I do not know him, but I know and enjoy his work. He has great content. He gets access to Coach Sampson, Kellen Sampson, assistant coaches, and players, and he generously posts the information on the MBB board. Give him some love.

8 Likes

until the final vote we should not let our guard down.

Older Coogs my WVU friend have lived through way too much

3 Likes

I get the caution but frankly I canā€™t envision a scenario that could stop this nowā€¦there is too much momentum and evidently money behind itā€¦it appears that the Big 12 is convinced this move will secure future revenue shares that are very close to shares in the ACC, and PACā€¦I donā€™t care how unlikable you folks think you are to Baylor and Texas Techā€¦they are gonna vote for the money. Welcome home!

7 Likes

TT and BU have never had their own vote.
They voted how Texas told them to in the past and are now voting what ESPN is telling them to.

Even the Aggies vote how they are told to now that they are in the SEC.

We were supposed to be a founding member of the Big 12.

Then, Badda Bing, they let us have it all over our suites.

1 Like

Iā€™ve asked before but didnā€™t notice a responseā€¦ when Memphis left CUSA, conference bylaws allowed future NCAA tournament unit payouts to be applied to exit fees. So they paid nothing out of pocket.

Does the AAC have something similar? What happens to those units?

What is with everyone saying ā€œweā€™re not ready to compete; we need more timeā€?

That makes zero sense in my mind. Does anyone realize that we will be the number one sought after program in the Big XII after the dust settles? We will have a big piece of the market and a great marketing tool by being in the soon to be third largest metroplex in the nation. Houston will be desirable by swapping USF, ECU, Tulsa, Tulane, and Temple for Ok State Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, K-State, BYU, and Iowa State. Weā€™ll compete once a recruit sees who weā€™re playing every Saturday and we have those football only facilities to go with it.

Ready or not to compete; take the money and start investing it into world class facilities.

And no matter the outcome of this season, we no longer have to worry about a long term coaching strategy. If Dana is gone we can go back to hiring up and comers from National Championship teams. They might actually want to stay because weā€™ll be near the top of a P5 conference.

4 Likes