There's no excuse this season

so you don’t think if he has another season like last he is staying? renu khator cant just make a statement like she did and go against her word. i hold any coach to the same standards. nick saban could coach this team and i would still have the same standards.

times at UH have changed and you guys need to get with the program.

1 Like

You guys that try to hold someone who flippantly makes a statement at a party are way off base. Dude, you need to look up facetious, and think about it. Dr. Khator did not make that statement as a true policy statement. :roll_eyes:

nope not gonna work. its clear she knows expectations have changed now. we are trying to get in a big time conference. there should be no reason this team shouldn’t be competing for aac titles year in and year out.

1 Like

Of the people you name, only Bear Bryant and Bo Schembechler are in the top 50. Saban is 56. No one else is even close to the top in ALL-TIME WINS.

I’m not convinced our OLine and DBacks are good enough to propel us to an two or less loss season. Think we are very mediocre in those two areas especially. Still not sold on our QB as well… seems to jittery at times and his throwing ability is questionable.

I would take a two loss season with the talent on hand because I would think we are overachieving in certain areas on the field.

That’s because most on that list are at a lower level or 1950s and prior. Do you really want me to go back prior to 1900 and Pop Warner? Many are also on the list due to longevity and dont have a great win %. My list was mostly coaches with 75% win percentage. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_football_coaches_with_a_.750_winning_percentage

But using your list
Bobby Bowden 9-1/8-3 (small college/major college)
LaVell Edwards 7-4
Tom Osborne 9-2-1
Lou Holtz 8-3-1 at major college 3-7 small college
Chris Ault 8-3
Vince Dooley 7-3-1

Of the 85 coaches on your list only 16 coached after the 1950s at what is now called the FBS level. Of those 16, I’ve listed 9 here or in my earlier post.

And since you said top 50, only 12 were from major modern college football.

But if you want to change few to coin flip, can’t make a definitive judgement based on 1st year record, I can buy into that

Are you seriously saying Saban, Meyer, Swinney, and are not top coaches? Really? The number of career wins don’t mean as much when they are over much longer careers. How many MNC and CFP championships did each of those top 50 wins total guys have?

1 Like

Stoops didnt…Darrell didnt…Bo didnt…last time i checked they won a few games before it was all said and done, so stop your whining…

1 Like

Major had an unsettled QB situation last year.

The entire offense was unsettled and the defense was in transition. The bottom line is that it is a new season. Every single Team that succeeds in any sport masters fundamentals. Even though the Briles offense might be simpler it is crucially dependent on perfect timing. We can all write/talk about our offense but I would like to see some major improvements on defense. I am optimistic that we will.

You’re missing the point which is most of the winningest coaches of all time didn’t start out as balls of fire. Size of school, competition level is irrelevant for this conversation.

No bro., I am talking about the winningest coaches of all time. I thought I was pretty clear on that point.

I agree. We should expect tighter coverage from the corners. Gripes, Johnson can run with anyone in the country so way back him off 8 yards again thus year?

Meyer isn’t as fast but he isn’t slow either. Anderson should have the deep coverage nailed down. Davis, I hope, gets pushed really hard by Sprewell, Vaughn, and others to be better. Iam cautiously optimistic about our pass coverage.

ILB is more of a concern for me. D-line should totally shut down the run game. I hope Pezman has been hounding the head official about cracking down on the chop blocking. It was really bad last year and will likely be worse unless the refs are instructed to flag.

O-line, yep. I’m with you on that one. QB, King’s a good QB, and I think if our other QBs show we have depth there, CKB should just tell him to make plays if it’s there for him.

I don’t care, you still threw in there that Saban didn’t make the top 50. Maybe a better metric would be winning %. Or championships.

I’m not sure what you’re seeing, Gregg. I can maybe agree with jittery since King was thrown into the fire after playing WR all season. But he did make the comeback against USF at their place. I don’t see any question regarding his throwing ability. This year will be telling since he’s had a full offseason at QB and will have a full pre-season getting QB1 snaps. He’s also 100% healthy, which was not the case last year. He’ll also be throwing the ball downfield more. I think King has the tools to be even better than Greg Ward, and I don’t say that lightly at all. He’s not quite as shifty as Ward, but he has a much better arm. The key difference for me will be how smart King is with the ball. Ward was very smart and didn’t make a ton of mistakes. If King is roughly equivalent, and running a Briles offense, whoa boy!

2 Likes

I love Coogs. They give you 10 dollars expect 500,000 back then you give them a 100,000 and they complain to never see them again.

1 Like

Ok… #1 all time John Gagliardi started 5-1
#2 5-5
#3 1-5-1
#4 9-1
#5 7-3
#6 3-3
#7 11-1
#8 6-2-1
#9 5-4
2 tied for #10
One 3-5-1
Other 5-3

So 6 of the top 11 had a better record than CMA in 1st year. Thats over half which is most.

#6 started coaching in 1895
#3 started in 1941
2nd #10 started in 1890

8 of those 11 started before 1960 so most arent relevant to arguments now. But if these are the coaches you want to use, they disprove your point

I didn’t throw anything in there, Red. Championships would an interesting measure, but it’s too subjective for me. If FBS, BCS, and all the other pseudo-Championships were fair, then that would be a good measure - how long for a new, first-time HC to win a championship. On second thought, let’s use conference chamionship instead of the fake national one.

I’ll start researching when I’m home, but if you beat me to it, please post.

I’m willing to give him his first year as a learning curve. Hopefully there is a huge improvement in the coaching staff, we know the talnet on the team is good.

3 Likes