UH president Renu Khator open to another Houston-Texas football matchup

When you say “LSU in the fold”, you mean play them in their house EVERY game ?

I just want to beat ut.

2 Likes

You’ve never gone to an LSU game I see.

1 Like

This is all hypotheticals, because none of them will schedule us anyways, but this honestly makes no sense whatsoever. Why would you rather play TCU or Baylor than the two biggest programs in the state?

UT definitely screwed us by kicking us to the curb when forming the Big 12, but that was a business decision because other than A&M no one else from the SWC added much incremental value. They didn’t really want Tech or Baylor to be part of the move either but politics got those schools in. I’m not totally sure I buy it, but during the Big 12 expansion fakeout a couple of years ago, UT supposedly sort of had our back, or at the very least wasn’t going to stand in our way. This kind of makes sense. UT (and also OU) is still going to be fine if we’re in the Big 12 or otherwise get elevated to a P5 conference. Baylor, TCU, Ok State, Tech, etc. are the programs that would stand to lose a lot if we get the P5 elevation. If the last round of the Big 12 adding teams was happening now we probably get TCU’s spot. Timing and especially Dodds being the AD at the time cost us. TCU worked to keep us out of the MWC supposedly.

I did back in the Helton years, still the most middle fingers I’ve seen in a 10 minute span.

I’ve gone to dozens of LSU games, including the 3 UH played there in '98, '99, & 2000. I’ve been called Tiger Bait, etc – but invited to tailgate by the same people. I have never seen anyone throw things at the fans of the opposition.

I have gone to the Games UH played at UT and have witnessed things being thrown at we Coog fans – including my wife being hit in the head by a cup of ice. I have been told they threw beer on the Dolls and called them whores and sluts. I have seen and heard people call our Coogs and fans all kinds of racial slurs and profane epithets.

Yes, I know the difference between good natured ribbing and being called Tiger Bait and the vileness I have witnessed at UT. BTW, I didn’t notice the middle fingers being thrown our way when we played at LSU, but I would much rather have them thrown at me than cups of ice and flashlight batteries.

5 Likes

So I would just not go to a game in Austin. Watch party it or stay home and watch.

That sucks. I guess different people can have different experiences, things can also probably change over time and maybe how bad fans act depends on the opponent as well. I never made it to Austin for a UH-UT game, but I’ve seen games at DKR, in one instance with folks rooting for the opposing team (other instances were watching with Texas fans). In the early 2000s I did see one incident of one UT fan acting awful to a visiting fan which escalated, but other than that I have never seen or experienced any real issue along the lines of what you describe. I definitely know some intolerable UT fans though.

For what it’s worth, I actually never have been to a game at Death Valley, but nearly had LSU fans get into it with me at a bar in Louisiana over complete nonsense related to the SEC. I’ve also heard semi-recent first hand accounts of opposing fans getting cursed out and having stuff thrown at them from folks I know that went to other SEC schools and visited as well as from folks who went to LSU and graduated semi-recently.

I even know some Coogs who had stuff thrown at them back when we played there.

Here are some links about LSU for what it’s worth.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2013/09/bama_fans_marvel_at_aggie_hosp.html (discussing Bama fans praising Aggie friendliness by comparing to LSU)

Perfect example of those snobs at UT. And like the wrestler they will weasle their way into not letting opponents have a fair fight.

2 Likes

Business decision?
Business decision?
Did I read business decision?
You implied that the small12 decided to do this. Fine but whom was behind that decision?
Any individual with a minimum of business acumen would have see the huge potential that we represented then. This is just scratching the surface.
uta was fine with us joining the small12?
How did the utHouston hostile takeover and uta support to our small12 inclusion work out?
Was that a coincidence? There is never a coincidence with uta when it comes to U of H.

There’s also the infamous baseball regionals back in the early 2000’s and the most recent ones where the UT fans were definitely not on their best behavior towards our fans. They have one of the worst fanbases in all of college football and it’s not just a UH belief.

As far as playing them, I don’t care anymore. I don’t really want to play them when we’re not in a P5 even though upsetting them would be great. However, they’ll stack the deck heavily against our team and it probably wouldn’t be worth it in the end. Rather get in a P5 and get our resources up before ever playing them again.

3 Likes

While not an apple to apple comparison…a$m, Nebraska, Missouri, and Colorado did it the right way,
got invited to other P5 conferences, told ut to F.O. and Die and never looked back !!!

Don’t schedule them, talk to them…etc…

2 Likes

For Nebraska it was a great move financially (they earn a few million more) but they are bottom dweller in the a Big 10, with their football recruiting is totally dead. It’ll be a long time (if ever) before Nebraska is a major player in the Big 10.

Colorado is worse off in every respect, less money, less athletic success.

A&M and Missouri are financially better off, athletically no worse off than they were in the Big 12.

Texas is laughing all the way to the bank. Personally I think Nebraska and Colorado made them wrong call.

1 Like

Nebraska and Colorado both made the call for academics. I imagine their presidents are much happier being part of the B1G and PAC12 and sharing academic research and networks rather than the Big12 which doesn’t share anything.

That’s the thing, some of these decisions aren’t made for athletic purposes. Ultimately, it’s the school president that has to make the decision and athletics tends to not be their highest priority. It’s why a lot of folks think that OU would go to the B1G in a heartbeat if they were offered a spot.

5 Likes

UT was behind kicking SWC teams to the curb. That’s exactly what I wrote. Instead of a full merger UT wanted to join the Big 8 with only A&M after their flirtation with the PAC ended. They callously, but smart from a business perspective, understood that the other SWC schools weren’t going to add more incremental tv revenue to the conference vs. having to carve another slice (or slices) out of the pie. Texas Tech and Baylor had the political muscle to make sure they didn’t get left behind. We didn’t.

If minimum business acumen means we should be added to a conference, why did no other major conference add us? Why haven’t they still added us now when we are in orders of magnitude better shape than we were back then (when there was serious discussion about eliminating athletics)?

Dodds straight up disliked us, especially after bleachergate, but the current administration at UT likely isn’t that concerned with us one way or another and they have good relationships with Dr. K. Herman is obviously salty at us for canning Major, though, and I’m sure he’s not wild about how much we dislike him now. But if you think UT will work harder to keep us out of a P5 than other P5 schools from Texas and nearby you aren’t connecting the dots very well. UT-Houston didn’t demonstrate some sort of long game to destroy us. It just demonstrated that UT doesn’t really give a crap about us.

5 Likes

No way, they do not have to put up with ut !

Most teams in the big 10 are bottom dwellers.

1 Like

If minimal business acumen was all it took to see why we are so great why hasn’t the PAC/BIG/ACC/SEC added us by now?

1 Like

I have been yelled at, cussed out, verbally assaulted by senior as well as younger fans of UT after a 53 - 26 UT victory over UH at the Robertson Stadium in 2001. Boy I was ready to fight. I didn’t know grand parents can be so mean to students at Houston for cheering on our own school in our city.

2 Likes

But Nebraska has gone from being a power player in the Big 12 (ok without as much power as UT, heck even OU doesn’t have as much power as UT), to a small, powerless, weak program. Their academics have not improved at all, heck of anything they’ve probably gone down after their Big 10 brethren voted to let the AAU dump them.

I know what you are saying, but… they get an EQUAL share of the spoils every year unlike in the big12. This is why ALL 4 of the schools left.

Their lower quality of athletics is more due to poor choices by their administration OR maybe indicates that the big10 has stronger teams than the big 12.

JMHO

3 Likes