What is the first football game you remember going to?

First college game was 1969 Ole Miss @ LSU in Tiger Stadium. Crazy place for a 10 year old backwoods country kid. My Mom’s oldest brother was a big Ole Miss backer. He took his 6 brother in laws and all his nephees (16 total) to the game in an RV. We were stacked in there like a cord wood. Good times!

First year in College…Homecoming 1996.UH vs Southern Miss at Robertson Stadium…

1 Like

Oilers vs Dolphins at Rice stadium. Year was 67 or 68. I was around 8. Oiler running back was another Campbell-- Woody and QB was Pete Bethard.

LOL, I too have severe/untreatable arthritis against uta.

First football game? Oilers
U of H? Our Run N Shoot days with Mister Jack Pardee & Mister John Jenkins.

my first football game i remember was when my dad took me to the 1965 Oiler-Kansas City game. Blanda led a great second half comeback for an Oiler victory.
My first college game was the 1966 Rice-UCLA game, won by Beban and the UCLAns 27-24. I remember both like it was yesterday.

First NFL game was opening day 1976 Oilers vs Tampa
First UH game was 1990 vs UNLV

First UH game was the second game at TDECU after if opened. I went with an old lab classmate now great friend. I wanted to go when Robertson stadium was there but i only saw it from outside countless of times just never took the time to see it from the inside since i had alot of other things on my plate. UH has really changed.

Dad gum, you old. But I’m a few months older. Did not get to my first game until I was about 16. I really missed a lot of good ones. Some where along the way, I remember a game at Rice Stadium that was extremely cold and maybe it was a Bluebonnet Bowl Game. Think it was Baylor with a hot shot QB and Wide Receive combo that was famous, but I cannot remember their names. Any help ? ? ? ? ?

That would have been Baylor’s QB Don Trull and WR Lawrence Elkins. They helped Baylor beat LSU by a score of 14-7 in the 1963 Bluebonnet Bowl game at Rice Stadium in ~37 degree weather.

2 Likes

Houston Oilers vs Boston Patriots, Jeppesen Stadium, 1964. I still remember how many men, including my dad, wore ties to the game. We had season tickets from 1960 until they left, so I was at earlier games, but this was the first I remember. In 1995, we played La Tech there, and it was my first time there in 31 years (Oilers moved to Rice in 65). It was a strange feeling.

Yep was going to go w Don Trull. He went on to be backup and sometimes starting QB w Oilers in late 60s. I was young and just started following Houston sports teams very closely and can still remember Oilers would go back/forth on the 2 QBs.

Here is a little nostalgia for everyone.

1 Like

Saw several games during our 1977 season.

1 Like

First high school game I remember was Texas City vs I think Baytown Lee or Sterling in about 1990. First college game was later that season, January 1, 1991. I was 3 years old, and me, my dad, mom, and grandparents drove up to Dallas to see the Longhorns play Miami in the Cotton Bowl. As I remember, the temperature was in the mid to high 20s, and Miami beat Texas 46-3. As a young Longhorn fan, I remember being so angry and hating Miami that day, but that was the beginning of a near 30 year obsession with all things college football.

My first time at a Stings game was in 1962.

Awesome. They don’t make jerseys like that anymore, lol. The horned frogs mascot,First City National Bank, classic.
Mr. Bill Worrell
Thank you for posting.

At least it was not the first game at TDECU!

2 Likes

!977 Cotton Bowl. Parents encouraged by older sister to take me and my younger brother.

1 Like

Austin HS in HS playoffs at Public School Stadium (before it became Robertson) Austin had twins who were all state. UH versus Auburn in a driving rainstorm at Rice Stadium in the "50’s - Think the score was 50-7 or something like that.

1st game I went to was a game in '86 in the Dome…don’t remember who it was against, just know they lost. Not a fun season. Went to Oilers games around that time as well…bad seasons for them as well. Couple of years later was when it got fun for both again.