Andre being Andre right now

Four conferences. Big10 and SEC on the “east coast” (both absorb ACC), Big12 in the “midwest” (absorb any ACC remaining) and Pac12 in the west. Semi-regional.

Two problems with Andre’s analysis:

1. 4 conferences of 16 equals 64 teams. There are now 69 teams in the autonomous 5 conferences. How will conferences be configured into 4 pods of 16? Which 5 would be left out?

2. Once an autonomous conference, always an autonomous conference. Extremely hard to vote out a conference from the auto 5. Each team has a vote. How would you break up the Big 12, when it is unlikely you can obtain a super majority?

Andre can spout off all he wants, but he doesn’t know shyte how conferences manage their affairs.

1 Like

That makes me feel some better.

His comments are disappointing. I thought he had a great radio show on 610 in the mornings. I enjoyed it every day on my way to work. He knows football and calls a great game. I don’t think he has a Twitter. Did he trash Keenum on the radio with the Texans?

I am no psychologist but…
Could AW be harboring some feelings of inadequacy, inferiority for himself or alma mater. I have known some grads who seemed less than proud of their U of H degrees. And there are those who derided AW’s Heisman at the time and since on the basis he did not play for one of the blue blood universities.
If AW had the same uncompromising pride I (and so many of you have) we would not be making these comments. Instead we would be rejoicing in our new conference affiliation wondering only “what took you so long to recognize greatness”.

2 Likes

The whole 4/16 thing has been the talk since pretty much forever. It assumes a degree of coordination and elegance from a system that has never shown either of those things. But people (not just Andre) really cling to it. Pretty sure I’ve seen it here!

2 Likes

He mentioned last week during the game he was calling he felt UH and UCF were rushing into Big12 and felt they should wait till PAC was ready to expand.

2 Likes

I don’t profess to know what’s in a man’s head.I’ve always gauged people by their actions, and look for historical patterns to guesstimate their next course.

AW is a fan, like everyone else. Well educated in the parlance of football, not so much in areas of command and control. It seems he’s using his knowledge of football to talk to other fans over the airwaves in order to fill airtime. That would make his bosses at ESPN happy, because there’s no dead airtime.

Conferences are not operated by comments made over the airwaves. It’s about money, and access to resources. Once a team is in one of those conferences, they’re not likely to give up those funds and resources. Not without a fight that could lead to a nuclear situation nobody wants.

This is why I don’t adhere to the theory we’re going to 64 teams. The 5 potential teams left out would undoubtedly go nuclear on everyone else. That would spell doom for college athletics.

1 Like

Poor Andre … he remains a good analyst for ESPN

HOWEVER … he forever lost his credibility when it comes to UH football and what conf. we should belong to …

Back when he wanted us to avoid the Big East and stay in CUSA … good grief that was idiotic …

He now is against our BIg12 membership and wanted us to wait for the Pac12 to someday wake up and finally decide … oh yeah adding UH would be nice … lets do it …

He has never shown up to that nat’l commercial where all the Heisman winners are show cased … lil wonder why … they probably don’t want his negative opinions around

2 Likes

We’re now sending Andre Ware to the bad Coogs gulag? Y’all do realize it’s possible to simply disagree with someone’s opinion leaving it at that without calling them dumb or pseudo-psychoanalyzing a person you don’t know, right? He’s one dude. Just keep it moving.

3 Likes

HEY!!! …

I paid $10.59 for my special “Pseudo-Psychoanalying” course from the back of my Wonder Woman’s comic issue no. 467 … I took the psycho course and passed and now …

I are one … thank ya vary mach …

2 Likes

Andre and Jim Nantz…the cream always rises to the top.

Yeah, this guys not a real coog, like Whitmire.

3 Likes

Yes, but a subgroup of the A5 can at anytime form their own new alliance , renounce their
membership or participation in the P5/A5, and it’s a done deal. No vote required. The new
“SC” (super conference) or whatever silly name they come up with becomes the new thing.
What would it look like ? 32 teams ? Some weird hybrid type farm association with the NFL ?
Who knows ?

He rides for the brand ESPN. He will be their mouth piece.

1 Like

Ghis, please say something lawyer-like and dispute this fine gentleman.

Andre reads the script ESPN gives him.

2 Likes

Actually, he was in the Heisman House commercial.

It is one of their better ones:

5 Likes

Unfortunately, both his Big East comment, and this comment, were indeed dumb.

As huge a fan of Ware as I am (he won the Heisman my Senior year in high school and I saw him play in person in the Dome and elsewhere many times that season), he cannot escape criticism on this.

His remarks were not good for our messaging and prestige. I can’t understand why he isn’t excited for UH here.

Nantz’ comments were more on the mark.

3 Likes

4 super conferences with 16 universities in each. That’s what the idea to create a playoff. Don’t know if it’s still in the works.