Asking for decorum

Agreed. Not asking a lot. civility with the fun banter.

You know, this last summer, I swear that I was just about the only guy posting that we had a chance in hell at a NY6…
Well, we had a run of bad luck and really unfortunate injuries…oh well…
And we might just pull it off if Memphis wins tonight…however…
It would be great if we could all remember that we are all loyal Cougars, otherwise we wouldn’t care so much. But jeez, have a little respect for one another, the coaching staff, and the players.
Go Coogs !!!

3 Likes

Well quartz is the new granite and everyone likes these boring gray colors now and white cabinets. Seems to change every week these days.

You all are my people.

1 Like

i notice you mention you can’t insult players or each other. For some reason you omitted coaches. How about coaches? I really see red when people insult our coaching staff.

It is easy to arm chair quarterback the coaches and talk about their actions focusing in on the bad ones but it isn’t very helpful in the long run.

Perhaps we should all band together, insult or talk bad about no one and everyone go to the game and support the Cougars, win or lose.

3 Likes

Coaches are fair game within reason. They make millions of dollars and are employees; student-athletes do not.

3 Likes

Seriously? They deserve less because they are paid? I think human dignity should be universal and equally applied.

I really don’t like to single one group out just because of their financial or authority position.

1 Like

I guess there was a benefit to being banned for 2 weeks! Evidently there were other posters that expressed frustration. Who knew??

1 Like

We are not saying it can be a free-for-all all out attack on the coaches. We are saying there is more leeway for criticizing the coaches because a) they are adults who are well paid, and b) they are being paid to do a job. c) Many coaches are in it as a profession and are not loyal to the school.

Not all the athletes on the team re on scholarship. A scholarship is not a salary. Most will never have a pro career and most play out of love of the game and loyalty to the school. And these are young adults.

Folks who have played college sports will tell you it’s all consuming. Out of respect for their efforts we don’t allow fierce criticism of them.

You may not agree and that’s fine, but that’s the rationale.

5 Likes

criticism is fine i suppose if we must cast stones. Criticism should not include name calling or character assassination. Other than that, no problem. Saying the D coach called a bad game is accurate when the other team runs over us although who is to say if it was the players who failed to execute?. Saying the QB played a bad game because he threw 3 interceptions might be fair and even more accurate. I am sure he was coached not to throw interceptions.

I just object to the term “fair game” when applied to coaches or any group. That suggests anything goes when discussing coaches. If the rules of this board set by the moderators suggest we must give the players a pass but consider the coaches fair game using whatever rationale supports that then the administration of this board is biased.

Banned for two weeks? What do you have to do to get banned for two weeks? I didn’t read that in the guidelines as punishment.

Guess I should lose my badge for “read guidelines” because my attention to detail was lacking.

You missed the words I said right after “fair game” which was “within reason.” Obviously, “within reason” is subective and can’t really be quantified until we see what is posted. Calling for a coach to be fired is within reason in my mind, calling coach’s names starts to toe that line, and calling out a coach’s family is well over the line. Again, as @Coogfans2ndAdmin pointed out, if you have an issue with a post, flag it and we will check it out. Sometimes, we will let things go a bit until someone flags it as we are trying to see exactly where we need to set boundaries for the community.

And @Bear1132017 was purposely being antagonistic towards other posters and admin on this board during the SMU game thread, was warned to stop, and didn’t. He received a suspension for it.

Here’s the thing…this is a free board run by volunteers that make no money off it. This board makes just enough money to stay operable and any extra goes towards the University of Houston. This is not a for-profit board like almost all other University of Houston boards are. If you don’t like how it’s run, there are other options, however, we’d love to have you here, along with everyone else.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. No, I didn’t miss the wording “within reason”. I was just trying to understand what that meant as it could lead to speculation. As I mentioned saying a coach called a bad game is an opinion. Understandable. Giving them an insulting monicker is not an opinion, it is name calling and insulting. Would one call him that to his face?

I see the name Coach No D used often and yet no admonishment for doing so. That is the confusion for me. Criticism of performance yes, labeling not so much

2 Likes

Understandable, the No D thing does grate on me a bit as well. I’ll keep an eye on it and start clamping down on it.

Thanks for the conversation, we do try to make the board better for everyone and are willing to take suggestions.

2 Likes

I didn’t receive the evidence I requested related to “being antagonistic” but you make the rules. Go Coogs!

You never requested it from me. Here’s the thread for the game, evidence is in there:

And since, I’m sure, you’ll make some comment about needing specifics, here were your posts during that game thread:

You were obviously trolling, I warned you to stop before the last post and yet you continued with that last post. Considering the comment that you made, you knew you were trolling. That’s not acceptable here.

1 Like

I’m glad you posted the comments. Clearly there was sarcasm but maybe some folks don’t get it.
As for the negativism, I see your point but saw much worse during the melt down.
Again, you make the rules, I would just hope you enforce them for your friends like you do the rest of us.

We try to be fair. I as co-owner and designer of this site have had an occasional post deleted or edited. Also, maybe lighten up a little. This is an all volunteer site, not a court of law. We do as best we can.

2 Likes

If you have issues with posts, please flag them rather than making the statements you did above. We consider every post, no matter who made it; I’ve deleted and edited quite a few posts of those that I tend to agree more with and liked posts from people that I have had disagreements with. I’m all about the discussion, and the better quality the discussion, I’m all for it no matter which side you may fall.

3 Likes