Astros…

Altuve is a lock for the HOF if he has 5 more decent seasons.

1 Like

Also, a number of players have gone on record saying other teams were cheating- those players were not affiliated with the Astros and would have no reason to make that up. The only difference was that the Astros were identified by Fiers.

The Astros didn’t have to bang trash cans to win the WS in 2017. I sincerely believe they would have won it anyway- after all, they did win Game 7 in LA. Shortly after this all came out, an article was published- in the LA Times- that reported the findings of sabermetricians who tried to determine if cheating helped the Astros win the title. See below.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-02-27/astros-cheating-analysis

Were the Astros wrong to do what they did? Absolutely. Did it mean the difference between winning or not in 2017? I don’t think so.

The Astros are one of the best teams in baseball. You don’t go to five consecutive ALCS and three World Series in the last five seasons without being really good. However, some people out there don’t want to give them any credit because of what happened. That’s their prerogative- but they are not being intellectually honest.

3 Likes

Not to mention all of the World Series that teams won while their rosters were full of steroid creatures…

4 Likes

I don’t have any sympathy at all for the Dodgers. Umpires now do a “Dodger check” of every pitcher at the close of a half inning to make sure there are no obvious substances on the cap or glove. If the pitcher is about to “spin a sticky one” to the plate, who is cheating?

3 Likes

Unless he gets to 3k hits I won’t feel very good about his chances. Even then he certainly won’t be a lock. The writers will absolutely look to keep him out.

1 Like

Altuve at this course is absolutely a HOF’er. Bags and Biggio obviously are close to my heart (I’m 37), but Altuve is worlds ahead of either of those guys in the postseason.

3 Likes

Altuve is not a HoF lock yet. He has 1778 hits. He will need 3,000.

1 Like

Tuve is a HOF already… But so were Bonds and Clemens…

Those baseball writers need to get off of their high horse… The entire league was using steroids… And the entire league was stealing signs… And the entire league was using illegal sticky substances to spin the ball…

Come on!

Bagwell didn’t have 3000 or 500… And Tuve is one of the best postseason players in the history of the game…

2 Likes

3,000 would make him a lock. I don’t think he needs it though.

3 Likes

I think he has to hit 3,000 because of the cheating scandal. If he gets half of his hits after 2017, he is in and deservedly.

1 Like

I love them all. Playoff numbers don’t lie…Jose with some crazy power numbers
Bags 33gms 2-HR 13-BI .226BA
Bidge 40gms 2-HR 11-BI .234BA
Jose 79gms 23-HR 49-BI .286BA…but…one could argue the teams that Altuve has played on are in another galaxy offensively than what Bags and Bidge had backing them

Imagine if JR didn’t have stroke in '80 and they had this offensive

Wouldn’t surprise me… Even though it’s well known that Altuve didn’t take part in the cheating…

Curt Schilling still isn’t in… What a joke!

2 Likes

Really sucks for Tuve because his MVP is tainted as well… To no fault of his own… But that MVP award SHOULD help make the case for HOF inclusion.

Said it before and I’ll say it again… The Astros had a better record on the road in 2017 than at home… The few signs they stole didn’t have a damn thing to do with the World Series they won that year…

And the signs the Red Sox and Yankees stole didn’t help them to better records than the Stros either.

1 Like

160-175 hits per year for 7-8 more years. I think he can do it.

2 Likes

Me too… I think if he breaks the post season HR record AND gets to 2500 hits he should be a lock… He’ll be the leader in multiple all-time postseason stats at that point…

Then again… The all-time HR leader isn’t even in the HOF… :rofl:

But we all know 3000 hits and you’re a lock…

Bonds ended up with 2935… Oof!

1 Like

Another thing Altuve and the Astros have going for them is they don’t have to face an Atlanta team stacked with 3 HOF pitchers

3 Likes

That only won one WS pennant… They were awesome, though!

Just saying the Astros pretty well had to hit against that trio of pitchers to have any hopes of a World Series berth. Smoltz, Glavine and Maddox were probably one of the best, if not the best, trio of pitchers ever on one team. Of course, Avery and a few others weren’t bad…
There is no doubt in my mind the Astros should have went to the WS in '80, '86 and probably in '96. And I agree with you, it was not Astro pitching that kept us winning most of those years…

2 Likes