Attendance is OK so far! (TURN THE COURT AND THE CAMERAS)

Y’all can’t be happy about anything. It was a sellout and everyone was in their seats at some point in time. I got up occasionally to use RR and get a beverage. I don’t understand, it was a great crowd and good game. We dominated them. Find something actually worth complaining about like the tickets we got for parking on the street.

13 Likes

Sasser and Edwards played !!

This attendance self-flagellation is baffling. It’s like some people are triggered by seeing an empty seat on TV.

Maybe listen to the radio or something, but get off of my wave.

8 Likes

It’s sarcasm

We do historically have attendance issues but when you work in a city that’s 70 miles across and you have to pick up your wife there’s not much prep that can impact that.

And, just for the record, I have only seen a couple of arenas full at tip off this year. GA Tech’s game last night (Atlanta) was 30% full at the height of the game…as a comparative example. And they are in the most famous bball conference in the country.

[Note: if you’re suggesting other people (closer in) need to do their part then I sgree with you.]

1 Like

Did they do the things with the crowd using the song Mr. Brightside? If so how was it

1 Like

The game was a sellout, but there will always be empty seats, especially on school nights. I have 2 season tickets, but my wife will not go to a game during the week because we babysit grandkids the next day and for a weekday game that seat is empty. There are guys that are working and have out of town trips, those seats will be empty.

Some whole families don’t go during school nights. That’s the way the world is, everything doesn’t revolve around UH sports. You take people who have to get up in the morning at 4:00am to be at work; getting home at 10:00 or 11:00pm puts a big hurt on their ability to get enough sleep to function at a high level the next day. People need to put things into perspective, Houston is a large city and just getting to and from the games in traffic is a real challenge for a lot of people. But we had a great crowd tonight, a lot late arriving due to traffic, but still a great crowd.

4 Likes

It was okay. Kind of expected, and it got a little interrupted.

I personally witnessed two guys getting into their seats for the first time with 47 seconds to go in the first half. They had to run two others out of their seats . . . . .

1 Like

Thank you for that update Russell. The camera placement makes no sense at all. Who was responsible for placing the cameras is the real question. The stinky rodent can’t be satisfied with the optics. Optics are everything…unfortunately.

3 Likes

There are plans to reverse the camera side but Covid stalled it a bit.

For the Virginia game the club area was filled much more than usual.

3 Likes

I watched during a time out and Renu went to Pez and they were having a deep conversation. Renu pointed to the club section then to the students and fans behind her seats. I think it was Pez that looked like he pointed towards where the cameras would be flipped to and the court itself. By appearance and the gesturing it looked lie Renu and Pez might have specifically been talking about the cameras as we have on this board. Just speculation but by the hand gestures, pointing, and where they were looking it seemed like Renu was addressing the tv camera situation.

6 Likes

This. The stadium for all purposes was full. Empty seats here and there isn’t that big of a deal. Remember…weekday, and literally millions of people on Houston freeways. Some people don’t want to get out in that.

2 Likes

Should not be a big deal just move the damn cameras, I’m sure the floor comes apart, just reverse the UH and it’s done not rocket science

8 Likes

I am now retired and my wife’s employer allows her to leave at 3:15 on game days. We live in the Woodlands, on the road by 4:15 / 4:30 or so and have been getting into the parking garage at 5:30 or so. We’re lucky and don’t have much traffic on Scoot to Holman when we exit at 5:20 off I45. I appreciate all COOGFANS having to work and do their best to get to Fertitta by game time.

8 Likes

This right here. Is this one of the marvels of engineering conundrums that keep it from being done like yesterday? Sounds like someone needs a swift boot in the backside.

Oh, oh it was COVID. I see. In between the Final 4 and the Hofstra game it was just relentless in the effort to have the engineering and construction firms do the dang thing.

Pez: "So what do you think about getting this done over the next few months?

CM: “COVID.”

Pez: “And the day after?”

CM: “COVID.”

Pez: “Ok. Well, you can’t say I didn’t try. Put it on the things to do next year list. Now, where’s the PO for the golf team’s customized tees?”

1 Like

i don’t know why we are entertaining Coog1. Attendance is not an issue.

6 Likes

Moving the cameras requires a spot to put them, obviously. This will most likely displace some valuable seats, which comes at a cost.

They’ll also have to do some work on the lights to make the pre-game and halftime shows work with the repositioned floor. This wouldn’t seem to be too expensive, but who knows?

It’s all feasible, but it’s not as simple as just setting up a tripod on the other side of the court and rolling with it.

1 Like

This is what the OP is bitching about.

8 Likes

Follow up post on attendance averages so far.

6,967 Houston
6,654 Virginia Tech
6,560 Colorado
6,558 Clemson
6,554 Utah State
6,501 Villanova (100% capacity)
6,484 Georgetown
6,480 Mississippi State
6,022 Georgia
6,022 Oklahoma
6,000 Gonzaga (100% capacity)
5,989 Washington