Big 12 / Pac 12 / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 1)

Lololololololololololololololololololol. Then they also add more to an expanded Big10 than Oregon.

4 Likes

No they don’t. Stop lol

3 Likes

My guy. Pitt and WVU have been fighting each other since 1895 in football and since 1906 in basketball.

Hopefully.

2 Likes

And Rutgers played in the very first college football game.

Doesn’t mean they resonate with the average college football fan that has no affiliation.

I’ve never seen it promoted to the scale of Ohio State/ Michigan, Florida/LSU, USC/Notre Dame, Texas/Oklahoma, etc.

Of course the backyard brawl is not driven by as much interest as Ohio State/Michigan, but it does garner a national audience and it is freaking massive in the entire mid-Atlantic region
Pennsylvania and West Virginia of course but New Jersey, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Ohio. I understand your ignorance of it, but there is a reason that ESPN Gameday is doing a Thursday night show for this game.

3 Likes

Lol you replied to me instead of the other guy

2 Likes

BTW, i believe that currently tickets for the WVU v Pitt game are the third highest priced tickets of any game that week.

Yeah, i wasnt trying to single anyone out. Honestly i get why someone in Houston Texas might not get it
for instance by visiting this board ive noticed you folks have a burning desire to womp Texas Tech’s and Baylor’s arse
i didnt really know that much about you guys before i showed up to talk realignment. Its been pretty cool to see how your fan base sees the college football world.

1 Like

I think Espn is more there because it’s kinda cfb kickoff thursday, and Pitt is ranked. If a normal weekend espn prob not make as big a deal. Other than kickoff and people thirsty for p5 v p5 cfb after long 8 months, I don’t know if a whole lot of interest outside of greater Pittsburgh area, (greater Pitt would prob include WV, right?)

Its much bigger than just the Pittsburgh metro. It is absolutely enormous in the entire Mid-Atlantic region, but it will also have a pretty significant national audience. Now ESPN doesnt do Thrursday shows very often, and i dont think theyve ever done one to open a season
the backyard brawl rivalry is over 100 years old, and its a pretty big deal. Im very interested in how it does ratings wise vs all other Thursday night games and against previous Thursday night openers.

Yes, will be interesting to see the ratings. Having a ranked Pitt may draw some additional national interest given its wk 1.

Tickpick says these are the top 5 most expensive week 1 games:

• ND @ Ohio State – $380
  • UNC @ App State – $371
  • WVU @ Pitt- $236
  • Arizona @ SDSU – $230
  • Oregon @ Georgia – $182

ESPN’s College GameDay will also be at the game!

The College GameDay crew will be live from inside Acrisure Stadium ahead of the “Backyard Brawl” rivalry game between West Virginia and Pitt University (7 p.m. ET on ESPN) and will rejoin the telecast during halftime of the game.

1 Like

Interesting that it’s even a little higher than Az vs. SDSU, but I suppose there’s no ranked team in that one.

1 Like

Our conference already has State of Utah vis BYU.

Just check the attendance when Arizona plays Utah vs playing BYU.

BYU secures all we need in Utah, which has a population smaller than Metro Phoenix. Just not a large market.

Choosing to double our market in Utah while ignoring San Diego is beyond crazy. I predict that Yormark is not crazy.

You don’t have to be blue bloods to have heated rivalry . We’ve had our fair share when we were sub 5 and not even on P5.
I don’t understand why people feel a need to be so critical or dismissive of others

1 Like

In CUSA days, I thought we had a budding rivalry with Southern Mississippi.

4 Likes
9 Likes

Now ill admit that currently Utah is a very good football product, however if we did take the San Diego market, the Aztecs could, and probably would flourish, but Utah and its relatively small market would wither and die in the MWC
and i have to say that after a short time dealing with the attitude of their fans
i think id be okay with that.

2 Likes

Yeah the price for the SDSU game caught my attention as well.