Calling it now...UH SMU will be a top 25 matchup

Yes we are 5-1 and have looked impressive at times, but we’ve beaten nobody with a winning record.

Per FPI, best win is against #89 Tulsa. We lost soundly to #46 Texas Tech.

You can’t just look at the 5-1 record and think we should be getting votes as one of the best 25 teams in America.

Massey Composite had us #51 going into the week. After last night and if we beat East Carolina, we’ll be in the 40s going into SMU.

That seems about right.

7 Likes

Let’s Beat ECU!

2 Likes

They probably are. You’re letting your bias show.

Edit to show some computer rankings: in F+ which is a composite of FEI and SP+ Coastal Carolina is 20th and our wonderful Houston Cougars are 56th.

2 Likes

No, I know. I’ve seen them play too.

I just mean to say that some of the comments are about what we need to do to be ranked, like beat this team or beat another team…

I’m just not sure who you beat matters as long as you keep beating everyone you play.

Which, interestingly enough changes dramatically when you start talking about inclusion into anything that matters. But as far as Top 25, I think its 80% about quantity of wins.

We might be in the Top 25 AFTER we beat ECU and SMU.

I thought UH was playing ECU next?

Here’s my bold prediction:

The winner of the UH-SMU game plays @ Cincinnati in the CCG.

6 Likes

That someone else is UH.

There is a possibility we could lose and still play CCG

1 Like

The ECU game has the potential of becoming a trap game. Hopefully, the home game will be a difference maker.

ECU might be better than SMU. I’m worried.

1 Like

Navy beat UCF last weekend. Tulane is better than their record shows. No gimmes for anyone. That said, I also hope that both teams are ranked and that we put a smackdown on pony town.

1 Like

Smu WRs can flat out fly. Going to be a huge test for our secondary. Dline is going to have to get after Tanner or we will be in trouble. They don’t have a great defense so that will help. Safeties are going to have to play a lot better than they have been playing, can’t let WRs get past you against smu

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/cfbonfox/status/1447200252612669442?s=21

4 Likes

UH?? Surprising. Is Coastal Carolina really the number 10 team in the country? They have played nobody. Also, Boise beat #10 BYU; why wouldn’t they be ranked? I think RJ needs to do more homework.

We have no chance of being ranked until we win the next two games. Then we must keep winning to remain ranked.

So essentially it is either heading to the conference championship game vs Cincinnati as a top 15-20 program or not ranked at all.

1 Like

Houston’s #40 in the coaches poll, with three votes. Defeating ECU moves you to 30 range and beating SMU is where you crack top 25 as a 7-1 team. First things first beat ECU !

6 Likes

Anyone have a clue when the game time would be published? I’m trying to see if I can attend and plan to bring some people and they won’t be able to make a kickoff before the evening.

My guess would be probably the week of ecu…

The biggest issue with defending SMU is the issue of bruising.

Leave a lot of bruises in the first qtr and it takes the steam out of them.