Census Results

I’d be happy with moving to #1 in state population, and at least having Houston pass Chicago for #3 on the city population list.

Sure. Once you stop growing you die. Slowly at first but it picks up steam. Your tax base dwindles and key services like police and fire get cut. Teachers, police and Firemen’s pensions have to be paid. All of this is playing out in the midwest. Detroit is tge Classic example but Illinois is on its way to bankruptcy.

Once you get into the death spiral of negative growth (or low growth) you die. Unless you are a tourist area which Texas will never be.

This is the classic case of what happens:

If California thinks it is immune to this, they are very wrong.

Yes…the US won’t be a developing nation forever. Houston, a relatively new city on the workd stage, in 100 years from now will be drastically different than today.

The cost of living will continue to rise as it has since 2000. You can’t superimpose the past on the future because the future will bring a new set of challenges.

Disagree about the rust belt. They have done a ton to keep companies, tax incentives like its candy on Halloween. They just had bad industries that were dying and moving to third world countries. You saw states like Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania lost seats. You cant keep pushing manufacturing and coal when they are dying (I hate elections since Ohio/Penn have so much power as swing states we have to hear that trash about trying to keep low wage manufacturing jobs). In Texas we have growing and evolving industries. If local Austin leadership doesn’t push hard for tech and create an environment that attracts those companies/people, we don’t get all these new companies moving here now from Cali. So all the R leaders wishing Austin was less blue, it would have cost the state tons of business if that was the case. Overall friendly business tax structures are nice, but that isn’t a top factor or all these businesses would be in North Dakota or something.

So driftingg back on topic, looking at the Censuses numbers California got jobbed losing a seat, it shouldn’t
Have gained any based on the change but there’s no way it deserved to lose a seat at 6 percent growth. There are at least 10 states Red and Blue that deserve to lose a seat.

The next census is in a decade. That gives California 10 years to figure out why people and businesses are leaving. In the mean time Texas picks up two new seats and is knee deep in redrawing the district maps.

New York’s Governor is talking about legal action because he thinks the numbers are flawed. The New York Governor…flawed numbers…that is some ironic stuff right there.

Want to talk about Rust Belt failure?

Just take a look at Cleveland, OH.

At the end of WWII, it was America’s fourth largest city.

Today, it is #53.

Enough said.

Maybe next time the reapportionments will get it right and take seats from the address that lose population that correctly did and prioritize taking away seats from slower growing rural states that already are completely overrepresented.

But still didn’t change the fact they got docked over, moody likely by left over hacks.

And if the Drew Carey Show couldn’t save it, nothing could! Never been to Cleveland and don’t have much interest in going. A quick google showed me they have a ton of corporate headquarters there. Per capita, they might be one of the highest out there. Low taxes and cheap empty office buildings probably drove that, too bad company headquarters don’t bring many jobs.

Looks like a lot of that is remnants of another time, at least in terms of the largest companies. They have been in decline for a long time.

Even if they have lost a few, that is still wild that the Bay Area has more than Houston and DFW metros combined. I am sure Austin would pop up on an updated list.

1 Like

I’m sure the Bay Area has lost some since 2017. Agree about Austin.

It’s interesting to see where the growth is. I didn’t expect all of them.

Well since we don’t have fractional representation they will always get the minimum of 1 representative. We really need to at least double the number of House seats. Haven’t increased the House since 1921 when we were a third the size in population. The average population per seat for the other 6 G7 countries is ~150K per seat. We’re now at 760K per seat! Back in 1929 when the cap was put in place we were at 200K per seat.

I went to college there at Case Western Reserve University. Cleveland is obviously a hot spot for healthcare (the Cleveland Clinic is generally ranked as the nation’s #1 hospital by USEWS), and for education (see the first sentence of this paragraph; the Cleveland Clinic has close ties to that university’s medical school). Cleveland still has strong museums, a top theater district, and a top symphony, all of which are carryovers from its past.

But otherwise, that city has been in decline for decades. The Cleveland suburbs are still decent places to live; that’s why the Cleveland-Akron-Canton Consolidated Statistical Area has about 3 million people, and remains a major media market. As such, the city retains major league sports teams, etc. But the city limits only have about 1/3 the population that they had during Cleveland’s late 40s/early 50s heyday.

Today, Cleveland is famous for having a river that literally caught on fire, being “the mistake by the lake,” etc.

Its heyday economy, which was based around heavy industry such as steel and auto parts production, is largely a figment of the past.

Cleveland is also among the worst examples of “white flight” that I’ve ever seen.

The city limits, for example, are 48% Black, and 40% White. Some of the adjacent suburbs like Parma, Strongsville, and Chagrin Falls, by contrast, are over 90% White (98% in the case of Chagrin Falls).

And people say that segregation is bad in the South??? Sounds worse in many parts of the North!!!

I remember that happening in east Houston when I was kid. Crazy time and really close to where I grew up.

Cleveland’s Cuyahoga River fires were particularly large and noxious.

Yeah, not trying to compare them. Your post just triggered that memory.

Apparently, Greater Cleveland does still have eight Fortune 500 HQs. Only three (Sherwin-Williams, Parker-Hannifin, and KeyCorp) are located in the city limits though.

No. 99 - Progressive Insurance (Mayfield Village) $31.9 billion in revenues

No. 177 - Sherwin Williams (Cleveland) $17.5 billion in revenues

No. 203 - Goodyear Tire and Rubber (Akron) $15.4 billion in revenues

No. 218 - Parker-Hannifin (Cleveland) $14.3 billion in revenues

No. 263 - FirstEnergy (Akron) $11.8 billion in revenues

No. 413 - KeyCorp (Cleveland) $7.39 billion in revenues

No. 414 - J.M. Smucker (Orrville) $7.35 billion in revenues

No. 433 - TravelCenters of America (Westlake) $6.9 billion in revenues

The rust belt should be a booming area. It has first rate universities and has what everyone desperately needs which is water. If there wasn’t a treaty with Canada about having to use great lake water only in the states that border the great lakes, that region would be the water version of Saudi Arabia.

But as it stands it is a dying region (in some places dead) killed by union demands and big government liabilities. Illinois is figuring out that their public pensioners are getting their checks in Florida,

Spoken like a true Pinkerton company man. We should all be grateful for management not wrapping barbed wire around the phallus they jam the working with ever since we all embraced right to work (for less)

1 Like