CFP folks now considering a 16 team playoff!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I would suspect Kyler is already working on leading his receiver on 1 yard out patterns right now.

3 Likes

I reject all proposals that don’t include auto bids for all 10 conference champs.

1 Like

An expansion will go to 6 teams. 5 P5 champs get a seat then 1 at large. No more than 2 SEC in this scenario and all P5 get reps so there is balance and representation across P5 leagues. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State (top blue bloods) are less likely to play another game since they will get a bye as the 1 or 2 seed so they will be happy. Some more interesting and newer matchups with 3-6 and 4-5 vs what we have been seeing. 2 more games, more $$$. Still a “chance” for a transcendent G5 to get the 6th spot being sold to G5 leagues but likely will be a defacto SEC #2 spot and G5 team will never make it. Possible “concession” to G5 would be G5 team might only have to be ranked in top 8 or even top 10 to get the 6th spot. Of course, whatever that number is will magically be the unattainable bar in the actual rankings. Incremental, controlled, exclusionary, lucrative. JMO

If they go to 8, no outsider ranks higher than 9.

2 Likes

That’s pie in the sky thinking.

A 16 team “playoff” with all teams from “P6” conferences that could not win their conference during the regular season does not make sense and will not increase eyeballs. Adding the conference champs will not lessen the “P6” dominance I’m college football.

Back in the conference USA days our champion couldn’t even beat the SEC number six or seven. So I appreciate your sentiment but in most cases the second or third best team is still better than most.

But they are not better than the #1 or #2 team that finished ahead of them in conference play.

espn message to all the cfp followers:

I am astonished that some of you think that the cartel will let any G5 in. How in the world do you think this can be true or point to a possible invite?

But that was under the assumption that a CUSA team had NO SHOT at a National Championshop.

Give a CUSA team a few good years at making the field of 16, watch their recruiting improve. Why? Because unlike in the past, they DO have a shot and we are talking about a non P5 Gonzaga approach to building a National Championship contender.

16 is the only acceptable tournament. Ten champions, and 6 at large (which will cover the remaining top 10)

Seed them however you like. Just INCLUDE them.

Once this happens, the sport will explode in popularity and destroy March Madness.

3 Likes

There is a consensus going on now that 12 is the right number according to 2 “The Athletic” articles and of course G5 may be allotted one spot while P5s have eleven.

12 is the right number with top 4 teams getting a bye.

One P6 or G4 team :stuck_out_tongue: is better than what we have now.

1 Like

Either one if these are nice. I do like 12 teams because it actually gives a G5 a chance to win a playoff game.

1 Like

Wishful thinking Ron1102. I like your effort.

I think if we go to 12 with home sites for the first round, the top 4 will realize quickly that they’d rather take the revenue from an extra playoff game day against a G5 conference champion than have that bye.

1 Like

They will have a vested interest in prolonging their run if they expand it more

A most interesting comment.

“ … If we did expand it, you would want access,” Phillips said. “Each of the Power 5 conferences would want access not different from other Group of Five’s would want access, so we would have to work through that. But as I sit here today, I would tell you I would be in favor of having access for the AAC if the CFP expanded.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-gridiron-365/os-sp-acc-college-football-expansion-20210514-pullt5jvfzhhpntcy7pwmuqhjq-story.html%3FoutputType=amp

3 Likes

Thank you for posting but I will believe it when the cartel gives it its approval which appears by definition impossible.
The ACC commish might be invited for a meeting and…

…furthermore