Chambers transferring

Getting sacks is putting in effort. Just being an all down back isnt supposed to be overnight he needed in game reps.

I agree with all your points. That’s my understanding but CDH makes it sound personal and idk why. If he had knowledge of his productivity in the few games he played I dont see why not play him. Worst guys have played because of lack of depth.

2 Likes

If it truly is an effort thing and he came back and was healthy, I don’ think he’d beat-out Parrish. Derrick’s limitation is that he lacks length and gets stuck on blocks ( and held a lot). I think he combats that by picking up the dip and bend this off season. Pair that with a no quit attitude and that would be an almost insurmountable battle in front of Chambers. I’m going to go with he’s injured and never got in shape. I think that was the deal with Justin Murphy too. Wasn’t he the linemen puking during the Tulane game?

But then again, CDH was adamant about guys not being used to “practicing hard” and I got the notion he was suggesting guys were acting banged up to get out of the crucible. This could also be the case with Murph and Chambers. Thus explaining the “I only have time to coach” attitude towards Murph.

1 Like

How do we know this was Isaiah’s idea? CDH might have planted this seed in his head. If CDH orchestrated the redshirting and roster management it’s also possible that he’s responsible for weeding guys out that he deems unfit for the ideal player in his program. It appears to me that CDH has a plan. He has a white board in his office with Player Names, Position, and GPA that is his depth chart. I’m trying to buy in as a fan.

did you ever play sports? That’s like saying, “He hits home runs. He puts in effort.”
No, he could be a lazy ass that doesn’t even show up to practice or when he does he is drunk. I have been on a team that voted to kick off one of our two ace pitchers because of behavior like this. We don’t know what happened, but it is possible that while not as bad as what I just described, or he probably would have been removed frmo the team, that he was noticibly slacking and thus was not rewarded with more game time. Just like Kelvin will bench a dude who scores 20+ a game if he doesn’t rebound and play defense.
Culture.

1 Like

Yeoman once kicked Paul Gipson off the team. Paul was one of our greatest ever running backs in 1967 and 1968. Received Heisman votes in 1968. But in 1966 he violated Yeoman’s rules and was dismissed. Perhaps Chambers violated Dana’s rules? We will know the true answer when Chambers transfers. He could be a stud elsewhere or we never hear of him again

1 Like

I’ve played plenty of team and single sports. Both competitive and recreational. I know theres always guys who dont seem to “try” that get the job done and if you have a 220+ player trying to keep you from reaching a QB itll take effort. Effort is just the amount of work you put in to make an attempt at something. If you took out the trash for your wife you made an “effort” just as the person who made home runs made an “effort”. The other comment about kicking someone off for being drunk and they were Ace is different. That’s situational to bringing in your problems to a team environment and as a team kicking them out. Of which none of those things happened with Chambers. @tucsoncoog If he violated rules he’d be suspended. Hes not. But as stated above he needed more reps because of all the time hes spent without playing.

I wish I could tell that to my wife. I don’t get credit for jack around these parts. lol

6 Likes

If people aren’t putting in effort in practice they are being a negative leader. You don’t reward that. You seem to have a massive disconnect here. In game play, doesn’t mean effort. I can have an unhittable curveball, but if I am not willing to do full bullpen sessions or run my laps or stretch with the team a good coach on’t let him play. That is why I used the Kelvin Sampson example that you conveniently ignored.

3 Likes

I think we need to assign a level to effort here. I don’t know what exact level CDH wanted Chambers and Lark to play at, but it wasn’t enough because we know they’re both explosive. I’m going to guess that their effort level at practice matched the amount of snaps that week. No surefire way to quantify it but coaches know and can Identify those who aren’t trying hard (enough). It’s easy.

Sumlin kicked AJ Dugat (3 star) off the team a few games into his freshman year.

People come and go. Coaches have guys they like and those they think need development. I’ll have a much better idea of what I think of Dana’s program by the end of next year. I think he’s re-seeding the program with personalities that fit his system.

I like all kids that have played here. Past and present. I wish them all success.

6 Likes

I didnt conveniently ignore it. I explained why I thought he needed more reps. You’re implying hes being a princess and I’m telling you it’s from his knee and not having the reps in game. You’re saying from conditioning but that will only get you so far, you still need to go through it and the times he has hes been a threat. CDH doesnt strike me as a keep a cancer on the team.

I didn’t actually mention conditioning at all.
Game reps get you sharper, since you think he looked sharp then that wasn’t the problem.

You’re right I’ll withdraw that but I dont think if hes acting in such a way detrimental to the team he’d still be on the team.

That’s why most of us suspect it was a lack of effort in practice. Not necessarily an actual team violation (ie drunk). It also might not be. But many of us questioned why he wasn’t getting more reps since he is fast off the edge and that seems to be the most probable explanation. The other one is he doesn’t follow his assignments well and just goes after the QB which I would not be keen enough to pick up on. That could give him some pretty numbers and wow plays, but hurt the overall performance of the defense.

Sounds like JJ Watt. He always gets praised for getting to the QB, but teams have identified his weakness of over pursuing the play and run right at him. JJ is obviously an elite defender, but he tends to leave his defense out to dry by playing off-script.

2 Likes

Yup stretch plays that run right at that void can exploit it. People were actually griping about the interior guys staying on blocks this year. I’m sure they were coached on holding the POA and letting LBs fill gaps. Getting upfield too fast in a 4-2-5 man-scheme can derail your whole defense. We have to recruit more big guys that can move laterally like Ed. We might have one on the way in this class.

That defense is about pushing forward and owning your lane.

Chambers was beaten out by Payton Turner. That’s the bottom line. There is more to playing defense in college then trying to get to the quarterback. Turner started over him in 2018 when Applewhite was here and Turner once again started this year. It’s not like Chambers was a star player for Applewhite in 2018 and then was suddenly and shockingly benched this year. Yea, he showed flashes with 3 sacks against Rice in 2018 and then another 2-3 sacks against Tulsa this year which made up the majority of his production while playing for Houston. If he wasn’t a 4 star recruit coming out of high school then half of you all would not be complaining about him not starting. Our defense is finally adding a lot of quality depth and we have talent across the board entering next year. It’s not the end of the world that a player with talent is leaving for more playing time elsewhere.

9 Likes