Clayton Tune to Cardinals ! Good for him

Can someone summarize the NFL minimums for drafted
players and UFAs or is it contingent on making the roster for them ?

New guys will be playing out of their minds at getting a shot and of course with
football being the sport it is, everyone is one practice or scrimmage away from
ending their career.

So happy to see Dell, Tune, Parish , and others getting their shot in the NFL. Hope there
is some money forth coming for all the years of effort, work, and injuries overcome
to get to this level.

Edit- Found this related reference to my query. Looks like good money there if this is accurate.
But please add on if you know

The NFL has a rookie wage scale for all drafted players, courtesy of the CBA. The CBA provides for a minimum rookie salary of $750,000 in 2023. Players can make more than that, bust most rookie contracts will include a 2023 salary of $750,000.

Contract reference site Over The Cap provides a rundown of rookie cap numbers for this year’s class. The numbers might move a little, but this provides a solid framework to work from for determining how much each pick will make from 2023 through 2026.

The first pick of the sixth round will sign a contract worth approximately $4.070 million and receive a signing bonus of approximately $229,940. The second pick of the round will receive a $4.063 million contract with a $223,328 signing bonus. The numbers decrease each pick until the 40th pick where the player will receive a $3.98 million contract with a $140,440 signing bonus.

1 Like

College career and NFL potential don’t always sync.
The NFL cares more about physical attributes and metrics than college wins and losses. They want to know what’s gonna be more than what was.

Bryce Young was the #1 pick in the NFL Draft. Metrics an college wins and losses: yes. Physical attributes: not so much.

Looks like Tune may not have Head Coach Gannon very long.

https://twitter.com/NFLCharean/status/1652502379709775872?s=20

1 Like

I was about to say the same
 Jo should of watch him play his first few years. He was like a deer on headlights! He was also rushing things and would telegraph his passes. Glad he improved his last two years here despite Dana.

1 Like

I think he has an excellent chance to beat out McCoy for the back-up spot.

1 Like

Tune prob is far cheaper to keep than McCoy and greater upside at this stage of they careers

2 Likes

Texans screwed up they should have drafted Tune, there going to be sorry they didn’t

3 Likes

His name was Jimmy Lawrence. After football he came back home (Harlingen, Tx) where he and his wife Mack (don’t know her full name) opened and owned a drive-in restaurant called Broil A Burger. I ate many a burger there growing up and would kill for a Jumbo #4 (burger with chili and cheese on poppy seed bun) today. RIP Jimmy (died 5/17/90). Thanks for all the great memories.

Edit: James Boydston Lawrence (March 15, 1913 – May 17, 1990)[1] was an American football player. He was drafted in the first round with the fifth overall pick in the 1936 NFL Draft.[2] He played professionally in the National Football League (NFL) for the Chicago Cardinals and the Green Bay Packers. After starting the 1939 season with the Cardinals, he moved to the Green Bay Packers. A member of the 1939 NFL Champion Packers, he played in the annual All-Star Game that year. He played at the college football at Texas Christian University (TCU).

Legacy[edit]

His great-great nephew Clayton Tune was drafted by the Arizona Cardinals in 2023.[3]

4 Likes

Is every Arizona QB from Texas?

Appears to be.

Tune probably replaces McCoy.

Clayton should get playing time in Pre-Season.

Murray was injured. He may lose some of his mobility.

2 Likes

Somewhere online I saw a screenshot of the Dallas Cowboys round by round target list. They had Clayton Tune as their top target in the 6th round.

3 Likes

What’s that three UofH QBs in the pros - Keenum and I assume Allen is still somewhere

2 Likes

Was Kyle Allen with The Texans in 2022?

1 Like

Yes. He started 2 games.

I believe he is in Buffalo.

Maybe the eagles will let Greg Ward throw for a trick play?

2 Likes

I only know of Gary Ward! :smiley:

2 Likes