Coach Hughey

He lost to prairie view early in his tenure and avoided hbcus locally ever since - but why blame him? We all know who has looked out for him so shouldn’t we call that person to the mat?

Who’s looked out for him? A booster, Pez or Renu?

We’re hosting the 2-6 UTSA Roadrunners tomorrow at 11 a.m.

1 Like

You got probably have two out of three correct, the third is a :basketball_woman:

1 Like

Is someone looking out for him, or is women’s basketball just very low on the priority list right now?

I’d be surprised if a couple of changes weren’t made after spring 2023 is done with the Big 12 starting in the fall. I’d guess baseball, softball, and women’s basketball top that list.

Just a guess.

1 Like

Others would’ve been canned much faster but the key is who does he report to directly? May need to pull a public records act for a copy of his evaluation

1 Like

Couple DeSoto ladies on the team, about three from Houston area HSs and a bunch of transfers.

Womens hoops reminds me of baseball. We ain’t got specific support to buyout those coaches and hire good new ones. Let their contracts drop by a year. Same happened at SMU with Jankovich in mens hoops and Travis Mays in womens. Mays was worse than Hughey. The upside is that SMU women are now competitive.

Now let’s look at UTSA. They had a home run hire in Karen Aston from UT. She didn’t live up to the Horns expectations but she’s an excellent coach. They play us right now. We’re winning by ten with 3:23 to go. Five of their six losses this year are on the road and by an average of just five. I thought this could be the game they break through but we should pull this out.

1 Like

Someone got lots of kids to attend today’s 11 am game. Up by two with 19 seconds left.

Going to OT. I see that Aston is paid $250k salary plus $100k for media and public appearances.

Hughey makes $240k base plus $70k in non-salary comp. If we cut him at the end of this season we will owe $255k for half his remaining two years of base salary.

Whitting’s contract of $325k base plus $100k other comp expires at the end of this season.

Solid OT and four point win.

1 Like

I had the game on today for a good bit of the 2nd period.

We were up by 20+. Couldn’t miss anything.

I had an appointment, so I couldn’t wait around to watch the rest. Got much more competitive, apparently.

Almost blew it. We clearly have better athletes.

Unless this player All-American good then that should not hold anyone back from being fired.

I am re-directing my baseball money to the volleyball program……my football money is going to be going elsewhere next year….just need another program besides men’s basketball and volleyball to give to.
Track and field?

1 Like

Adding VB next year as well. Will look at T&F also depending on how much my FB tickets and CP costs go up. Basketball is a lock!

2 Likes

Coogs lose to Washington State, 70-63.
Coogs run a full court press that led to many uncontested WSU layups.

They lost because the offense went cold in the second quarter. The defense is actually not that bad. However I would prefer to have Washington State’s coach over ours. The other Cougars played better overall than our Cougars.

1 Like

In this clip from ep 77 of Folks Talkin’ Sports, does the UH Administration (President Khator, AD Chris Pezman, Tilman, etc.) care about women’s basketball?
The Houston Roundball Review shared a post on Instagram: "In this clip from ep 77 of Folks Talkin

1 Like

Big buyout ?

Hope not - whoever would do that needs to be canned :joy:

They beat a decent SMU team easily.

Well we better extend his contract he won a game lol

4 Likes

SMU was without starting point guard / best player.