Coog Draft Guesses

8. Indiana Pacers (via Wizards): PF Jarace Walker, Houston

I would have liked to see a little more offense from Walker at Houston. He’s more defense than offense, but he’s also not quite a small-ball five or a big wing. He’s a long, powerful defensive-minded four who really improved in his senior year at IMG Academy. What you have to love from Indiana is adding two extra assets (in the future) while still getting their guy – though I might have preferred Taylor Hendricks here. Grade: A-

25. Detroit Pistons (via Grizzlies and Celtics): SG Marcus Sasser, Houston

The trade is that the Celtics, who acquired the pick in the Marcus Smart deal yesterday, are moving down to 31 for a future second. Detroit needs perimeter shooting and Sasser is a combo guard who can score. He could fit nicely next to Cade Cunningham and Jaden Ivey. He’s also the kind of tough baller that Detroit wants. It’s interesting that Celtics traded this because they don’t add much. Grade: B

1 Like

True, who wants toughness, shot making, great handles and relentless defense… what, what’s left?

1 Like

court vision and passing, according to the article

That’s kind of a weird analysis. I agree Marcus won’t be able to play as a traditional PG in the NBA so will either need to play with a big PG who can match up with wings on D (which Detroit actually has) or like a Jokic, Sengun, Sabonis, type Center who can initiate half court offense from the high post.

But I don’t get the hunted on D line at all. He’s got a 6’7" wing span and a very strong compact body otherwise with great lateral movement and instincts. As he develops he should be able to really irritate the Curry/Dame type PGs and passably hold his own in switches up to a certain point.

3 Likes

Sure, but they also left out toughness. And let’s be honest. I don’t see court vision captured on the scoreboard.

Idk about that… Miller is going to be a prolific scorer for them…

I read that as meaning that opposing defenses would try to get the ball into his hands because they don’t think he can do much with the ball. I could be wrong, though - I assumed his defense was viewed as a plus.

Two different points. I’ll type slower for you next time.

1 Like

Any videos of Sasser hearing his name called?

Shead put this video up… It says login but goes to the video of Sass being selected.

2 Likes

“The New Big 12 Represents”

Final Grade: A (Best available pick. Pacers got a good one here)

OT

1 Like

That toughness is also an intangible to consider that the author didn’t include.

AND

The intangibles do not impact the score as much as shooting and possessions (retaining and stealing).

Can’t believe they call each other the N word lol

1 Like

I don’t think he’ll be a total bust but when we’re 10-15 years removed from this draft I don’t think he’ll be one of the t-5 players from this draft

Sasser rocking #25 for the pistons. Had the live press conference with Monty, Troy Weaver, and Ausar.

6 Likes

Agree, though I would add that a critique of his vision is based on limited data. He wasn’t asked to play that role much. Maybe he becomes a true point guard, if that is a thing going forward in the NBA.

1 Like

No he is hetter as a off guard
Great fit for Sasser in Detroit

Maybe he is fingerlexia

Maybe Skip is simply rooting for Dallas kids.

The writer clearly hasn’t watched Sasser play. He has better defense today than most Guards in the draft. He’s no Jett Howard.