Current Bowl Projections - 10/24/22

UMass and a stumbling Auburn?

Auburn hired the Miss State AD a few days ago. Mike “Pirate” Leach headed to The Plains ? Doubtful but they will have a new HC.

Seems like every season Coogs are projected for a NE bowl (something like Pinstripe or Fenway) and it never materializes.

Not sure A&M won’t get an invite. W-L records are important, but bowls want to see fans in the stands and A&M has a strong following.

Also keep in mind A&M opted out of a bowl last year due to COVID and injuries. They want to go to a bowl.

W/L is important since a school is not eligible without 6 wins. The only way a team with less than 6 wins gets in is if there are not enough 6 wins overall to fill spaces. Unless they changed the rules recently.

5 Likes

I would love UH TAMU screw the payout that sounds fun

Pez and CDH are both on record saying they don’t want to go north if they have a choice. Last year we had to lobby for Bham a bit to stay south.

2 Likes

Makes sense.

A) College Football played in a baseball stadium sounds less than ideal
B) Outdoor bowl in the Northeast in late December is probably not going to be good for fans
C) it would have to be a really big-time name facing the Coogs to get many UH fans there. We can barely get a decent crowd on a Saturday game in Houston.

Keep it as close to SE Texas as possible.

3 Likes

Because those bowl projectors are throwing darts and have no clue. We will try to keep our bowl game regionally convenient, which makes sense for travel costs and fan support.

The one regionally I would prefer to stay away from is Frisco. That just screams minor league high school stadium in the sleepy suburbs. I don’t think we’ll go there though and we defenitely won’t in the B12.

Definitely. I like that area but that is not a bowl I want as a reward for the team at the end of the season.

One exception might be the First Responder Bowl if the opponent is P5.

I get the feeling it will be the Ft. Worth bowl.

1 Like

Yeah, First Responder, Independence, or New Mexico would be my choices.

I never want to go to Ft Worth again as long as I live.

5 Likes

Because of Fort Worth the city or because of the opponent? Just curious…

I would just rather go somewhere else for a change.

I live in Phoenix, and I’m not getting the greenlight to travel to our game anywhere east of here, so probably kind of moot from my perspective, but I always figured that if it wasn’t a big NY6 game, then I’d almost rather have it close, like Dallas or SA.

If it isn’t a premier opponent, do I really want to drop the cash of going somewhere new for a game, or would I rather have an additional game in a convenient location?

1 Like

Over the last 20 years, UH has been to FW 5x and Dallas and Frisco 1x each. The Frisco Bowl is listed with 2k in attendance…sounds like some of those BBVA games in our lost season between stadiums.

The only other locations with more than one appearance during that span (2003-2022): Honolulu and Birmingham.

1 Like

Didn’t want to start a separate thread so this is close enough.

Lol, the CFP rankings justifications are as entertaining as the games themselves.

https://twitter.com/nicoleauerbach/status/1587587402171834369?s=46&t=iFLLeqT7jyDl3n8nLwxOjQ

That’s ridiculous - no way they are evaluating everyone that way.

2 Likes