Day 6 - …and I thought July will be a quiet month

“You want to learn the first rule? You’d know if you spent a day in your life. Don’t ever open your mouth 'till you know what the shot is.”

1 Like

As much as I dislike Baylor, the smart move would be to poach TT, OS and Baylor. The Bears will help ticket sales in Houston better than TT or OSU, especially in hoops. Hold your nose, and invite them in. Ma
ck Rhodes, I’m sure, has been on the phone to Pezman.

Yes, the second Texas and Oklahoma deliver their formal request to leave the Big12, Aresco should issue formal invitations to the Big 12 members.

1 Like

I’d go with BYU, TT OSU, KU, and ISU to get us to 16.

1 Like

“We are in communication with all the parties that may be affected during this time of changing affiliations. We know we will get screwed like we do every time realignment gets mentioned even in the drive-thru line at Whataburger, but all our efforts will be on behalf of securing the best financial deal and most competitive set of conference mates for the bright and shining future riding unicorns and chasing rainbows.”

Congrats Baylor!

4 Likes

How about Kansas and Houston to the PAC? We will be AAU soon.

In numerous threads the reasons are laid out why the PAC can’t add value with anyone not Texas or OU. The numbers don’t work to the PAC’s benefit. The PAC may be a non-profit, but they ain’t a charity.

1 Like

If the SEC, ACC, and B1G all go to 16+ schools and B12 is on the brink of destruction, the PAC will risk falling behind if they don’t got to 16+ either…it doesn’t matter if a new school adds extra dollars…it’s about survival.

The PAC survives just fine. They just won’t expect to keep making more and more with every new TV deal. Fox, ESPN, nobody will give them more money just to add schools. TV/media rights rules the day.

Too, the PAC footprint is limiting, but it also insulates them. If we had teleportation, maybe the Big Ten would grab USC and Oregon, but that’s a long way off. UH brings plenty of value to the AAC and even an expanded Big 12, whose new TV deal will be a fraction of the current payouts. But we don’t bring $30 million to the PAC. This is easy to follow. It is about money. Not tradition, not rivalries. Money.

1 Like

Texas is increasing in population size so eyeballs are not static. The state has almost doubled its population in 20-30 years through organic growth and people moving here for jobs. A bunch of folks are coming from California now. BIG10’s business model makes money off new eyeballs and leans toward expansion. I believe PAC12 owns a portion of their network so may benefit with expansion.

I would really love a scenario where Baylor was left out of the AAC and had to go to the MWC or CUSA. That would be so fantastic. We need to email Renu to vote no to Baylor, should that voting opportunity come.

7 Likes

UH is nowhere near AAU membership

Oh, person is back. Yay.

3 Likes

The way we potentially take a step back is if the Big 12 decide only to invite two and we aren’t one of them.

And yes, kudos to our conference-mates for keeping their heads on and their mouths shut.

1 Like

it is a year at a minimum before Texas and OU leave and the Big 12 has 3 years left on their media deals after that so none of them are panicking about getting to the AAC “before the door is shut” or anything like that

with the Big 10 having a new deal coming up after 2022-23 ends that is what the members of the Big 12 need to wait to see at least

So I’m pretty sure the reason there hasn’t been anything said by us or the AAC is that there isn’t anything to talk about.

Do we really want to read, “We are aware of the situation, and currently it’s way above or pay grade. As soon as we are allowed out of the corner were will act in the best interest of the conference/university.”

I’m thinking more along the lines of Aresco addressing rumors of taking big 12 teams or AAC teams going to the big 12

My thoughts is that silence is due to AAC teams discussing an exit, and Aresco is doing all he can to prevent it

1 Like

I mean I feel like teams wanting out of the AAC is the most open of secrets. I don’t think it was a secret when we formed the conference. I always thought the unofficial moto was “The AAC we’re a team, we’re not a family.”

1 Like

Based on where we are in the process, there isn’t anything to say.

4 Likes