Don't look now, but the B1G commissioner reportedly prefers a spring football season

I believe we already have a plan for it, I want to say we hosted the conference championship in football while a basketball game was that same day or at least were ready because of the possibility. I don’t know the details on the conference tv deal if games are moved. If games are canceled because of a team outbreak of the virus (like MLB), not sure how that would hurt the tv deal either.

Time for every university to reevaluate its mission and what it wants to be. Lots of speculation that cancellation was as much to preserve amateurism as it was virus.

The next step is paying the players and then title 9 makes you pay everyone and then well, you’re bankrupt if you’re UH.

It’s time to determine how we can be self sufficient. We can’t spend outside our means forever. A revolution to the price of higher ed is coming, not just in athletics. We can afford to spend big in basketball. It’s very difficult to say that in football the way our league sets up. Tough times ahead.

1 Like

Man…I hate to even think this…but did UConn have it right?

The sheer number of FB scholarships vs BB makes for very difficult if not impossible to continue with all the “demands” being placed upon the universities. Going to be an interesting year. For both me as a fan and universities.

TV rights should dictate what we will see next. A Spring football season makes economical sense and…TV ratings sense. The draft you might ask? That will be a perfect segway to the next season with a minimal amount of time between seasons/training camp. We shall see.

I agree. I don’t think our AD survives this. Not football, at least.

Not sure I understand…are you inferring our AD has done something wrong?

1 Like

Spring football would be a total cluster. Every player who thinks they will get drafted won’t play. It would be a bastardized season and then you’d try to play again in 4 months? That’s not good for players.

2 Likes

I believe it’s just a reference to finances. We do massively deficit spend in football especially.

No doubt, lots of deficit spending. However, coincidental or not, our increase in athletic spending seems to go hand in hand with our ever increasing accolades in academic mentions. Chicken or egg?

I don’t know, and unfortunately it doesn’t matter any more. Reality, winter is coming and I feel bad for those who are about to lose their livelihood over this.

2 Likes

Agree…no one comes out of this unscathed. Including me.

No football :football: this year!

They would be drafter later. Media money dictates. Everything else walks.

The nfl doesn’t give a crap about the college game. College football already asked about moving the draft and the nfl laughed at them NFL not interested in delaying 2021 draft if college football season pushed back to spring, per report

1 Like

That is your opinion Matt. I could and yes it is my view see it happening.

Just curious, but does anyone posting have first hand knowledge of how the athletic department spends their money? Or how Pezman handles this? Legitimate question.

How is it my opinion? I just linked To a news story that said verbatim. “NFL not interested in moving 2021 draft.”

1 Like

Not trying to be flip or disrespectful to our AD, but I don’t think any extraordinary/excessive expenditures are made without the approval of Pres RK or FT.

1 Like

I agree, I don’t think he flies solo on spending at all. I believe it’s a joint decision.

Sorry. Not Pezman. AD for our athletic department. I really think we’re going to go under. Especially if we can’t cut a ton of sports.

2 Likes