Fake news?

Not sure anyone ever considered them to be anything like hippies.

Some of the best people I’ve ever met were Mormons.

So you consider having multiple wives, living in isolated compounds shut off from the rest of the world to be Mainstream?

Today, the church of LDS has evolved to Mainstream but the FLDS still holds on to these ideals.

Not being mainstream doesn’t make you hippies or extreme left. There is an extreme right that is also not mainstream.

Actually it does
Liberal is opposite of mainstream.
Hippies were far left, many lived in compounds, had multiple “wives” or partners

Renember when Bush led "conservative " administration burned down the religious compound in Waco?

You’re telling me the Conservative mainstream wants that as part of their ideals?

The extreme right today (Trump) is trying to return the old Puritan WASP nucleus of the 1930s

Again, there is out of the mainstream movements on the right too. They aren’t also extreme left. That doesn’t make sense.

You’re confusing what’s considered to be heresy and cult within a religion with extreme left. It’s not the same thing. And btw, most Protestants still feel that way about Mormons. Nothing has changed.

Some of them are, not all. Trump is a hodge podge of movements that have coalesced around him. Not all are religious (including trump).

1 Like

I’m believer too each his own. Joseph Smith the founder was quite a character ( part con man religious fanatic, want to be President) read his history and the founding of Mormonism got a lot of inspiration from Islam, or Moslems (hence Mormonism) as he knew the religion in his day, wanted to be like Muhammad do a reigious jihad on the USA, wanted to convert the country if necessary by the sword like Muhammad. Wanted to found his own religious empire was murdered along with his brother by angry mob ( woman trouble I think due to him sleeping with their women I maybe wrong on this) in Missouri, leaving Brigham Young to lead them to the promise land present day Utah. They wanted to found the nation of Mormon. The USA wasn’t having it a Nation on there border founded by religious fanatics. They were incorporated into the USA under direct pressure by the U.S. Government.

1 Like

I don’t disagree.

This^^^

All i’m saying is that they weren’t always viewed as allies to the conservative movement, as defined by the original “Puritan ideals”.

Today- yes
Always- no.

They had some very radical beliefs

Trump’s movement is actually fed by ideas first expressed by urban Catholic tough guy Pat Buchanan.

Trump basically took that guy’s ideas and changed only one thing: unlike Buchanan, he supports Israel. He had to do that or risk disillusioning evangelical Protestants.

2 Likes

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/donald-trump-pat-buchanan-republican-america-first-nativist-214221

That was an explanation for the OP, and MAGA in general.

1 Like

The Utah War or the Mormon rebellion is interesting history that no one knows about.

This is a pretty funny read.

I remember it was the Bill Clinton administration that burned down the “religious” compound in Waco.

You are correct- 1993

I read up on a little bit after you mentioned it. It doesn’t surprise me conflict broke out
 Considering the Mormons mindset and Brigham Young’s. The Kingdom of Deseret.

Ditto same here, good people