Game 20: Temple @ #1 Houston - January 22nd, 2023 (L 55-56)

i dont get the leaning in on the ft points… if this was top 10 kansas and it was sasser missing id be right there with you…

whenever we have a bad ft game, it not because our guys cant make fts like they normally do, its because bad ft shooters are shooting them…our bad ft games are games with chaney and roberts are mostly on the line like today…

and i know someone will say we lost by 1, “if we made them we would win” the goal of this team isnt to beat temple calibur teams … tramon makes that last shot doesnt change the bad offense

in a wierd way this temple game might be a blessing… we probably just move on if tramon makes it…but with the loss Sampson willl likely make big adjustments to the offense

4 Likes

We were missing a lot of open or lightly contested shots, it happens from time to time. Even then we would have won the game if we shot 13 of 21 from the FT line. That would have only been 61.9%, surely not difficult for a college team. But alas we shot only 11 of 21 or only 52%. My grandson’s junior high team shoots a tad better than that. There’s just no explanation for that and I had to assure my bride that we do actually practice free throws. Of course Temple shot out on their minds at the charity stripe.

Well, the string at #1 is over and time to start another. It just looked like our guys were lethargic today and I don’t know why but I am sure that CKS will bring it to their attention. I have expressed before that I didn’t think we had been playing like a #1 team, but I still think that by the end of the year, we will be playing better and I am hopeful of making it to the Final 4. If we can get to the FF, then anything can happen including winning the whole shebang.

2 Likes

I agree with you we just need other guys to step up someone needs to kick Ja’vier in the butt and tell him he needs to be the animal like he was against North Carolina A&T and the University of Alcatraz.

Yeah. Win in Orlando on Wednesday and we will have yet another Q1 win

It’s just a bit bewildering how the team looked completely flat all day for a home game after 4 days rest tbh.

4 Likes

I also thought the “foul” call on J’wan at the end was enormous. It should’ve been let go. It’s got to be pretty obvious to call in that situation.

1 Like

They’re college kids. Not machines.

2 Likes

Free Throws today:

Jarace Walker was 3-6.
Tramon Mark 2-4.
Marcus Sasser 2-3.
J’Wan Roberts 2-4.
Reggie Chaney 0-2.

If Jarace Walker and Tramon Mark hit their 70% plus avg., UH would win the game.

1 Like

and we would have won by 1 point…temple isnt good enough that we should have been scrapping and clawing for a one point win… thats my point that people are keying on the free throws ignoring the bigger picture… that we could only score 56 on temple (make it 58 with the fts)… a temple that let umes score 86 and tulane 87 or vandy 89…

2 Likes

Our problem is the lack of depth and production from the guards think about how good this team could actually be. Okay so you have Marcus Tramon and Jamal they all give you around 25 plus minutes a game. You don’t get anything from Ramon I hope whatever he is going through he is doing well though. You have Wilson on the bench who could play and could probably get production and good minutes out of him who could play. So you are counting on two freshmen who one in Sharp against weaker opponents can hit open and stepback threes but is limited in getting his shots in bigger games. Then you have Terrance who I think can become a really good basketball player who does not really handle the ball well and right now in his career I would say he is a mid to below average shooter. So our starters at the guard positions do not really get any help and they have to play extended minutes in games and are able to barely close out some games we should be winning 10 plus.

1 Like

FTs aren’t worth stressing. We were shooting 72% as a team before this game. We shot some below our average and Temple shot a few ticks above theirs. Cost us a few points. Missed a bunch of little runners and had a few possessions where I felt like we settled for deep contested jump shots. Gotta find some easy offense. One area where I do think we miss JC. Was nice to be able to dump it into the posts a few times last year.

3 Likes

When 4 of your starting players shoot a combined 13-48, you likely will lose the game. The rest of the team shot 6-8.
Jarace Walker 3-12.
Tramon Mark 2-9.
Jamal Shead 4-16 (3-8 from 3s).
Marcus Sasser 4-11.

2 Likes

And I know that I am not a coach but Jarace needs to come back I know the NBA is good and seeing the names pop up but he is going to get his feelings hurt if he leaves and thinks he is going to make a roster

1 Like

“Winning is Hard” - Kelvin Sampson. When the team is this good, Fans takes wins for granted. And here we are today. This loss will not go unpunished, unfortunately. But it is what it is. Move on to UCF.

I see your point. But i don’t think we take wins for granted. Sampson has raised the expectations of the program, so fans have followed and raised their expectations. Temple has had some awful Ls this year. This is probably on par to the worst home loss since Oklahoma St, back in 2019.

With a growing UH fanbase, you’re gonna have the harsh reactions to losses by some fans

And, unfortunately we’re just gonna have to get used to it. We need more eyeballs, more fans invested for Big 12 games

1 Like

We’re not a top offensive team. ESPN has us ranked 80th. In order to win 6 in a row in March you need to at least be playing like a top 50 team on offense IMO.

It caught up with us in the Elite 8 last year. We were 10th at the end of the season in total points. And that team was playing well last year going into the Elite 8. Not great offensively, but predictable production between the point and post. Not to mention they were a better rebounding team.

So, if we’re not better than last year’s team in rebounding, and we’re 60+ spots below last year’s team in offensive production how do you finish as the best team in the country?

Gotta improve on offense.

2 Likes

Lol. Oh my goodness. Please tell me you’re joking?

Dude is going to be a lottery pick making millions of dollars. But, yes. He should come back.

1 Like

They probably didn’t rest much during those 4 days, Sampson practices them really hard and I think sometimes too much and too hard, the day of games they have hard all out practice before game? Doesn’t make sense, a walk thru yes but not a hard practice, I think the team is tired, I’ve noticed it towards the end of other seasons with Sampson, I’m not a coach but I think he works the dog poo poo out of them, what are y’all’s thoughts? Don’t bash me just my opinions and observations

1 Like