Game 31: #1 Houston @ Memphis - March 5th, 2023 (W 67-65)

Who thinks that they are bad?

Fyi - Kendrick Davis was the consensus top player in the portal. So, he is good. In the whole NCAA tournament you will not see a better pg than him.

1 Like

If they can be motivated to play as hard and as well as they do against UH, then I expect Memphis will make it to the Sweet 16 (in the NCAA tourney) this year.

2 Likes

Full game

1 Like

- Trust me bro

They under achieve against weaker teams. Coach Penny is mid as far as coaching goes.

The kind of intense win you need going into the tourney. We clean up a few sloppy passes and Walker stepping out of bounds (one was clearly a mistake by officials) and we will be fine.

I think Memphis could probably beat just about anyone, but they also seem to have the ability to lose to lots of lower seeds. I think S16 is probably their ceiling, just don’t see them winning more than 3 games in a row

1 Like

Hmmm not really Roberts is better scorer then Gorham and you can argue that Jarace is better then Fabian also remember Fabian was coming from the bench and Chaney was the starter. So, no that team did not have a better front line then this team. This is the most complete team CKS have in Houston. If Sharp and Arceneaux and Francis rises up to the occasion, we will be as good as we can be.

1 Like

Are the rumors true that Sampson rejected his transfer here ?
Didn’t fit the culture ?

With Marcus coming back it was a non starter.

Pretty sure he rejected him 3 times

Coach has said that you would be surprised at the list of guys who wanted to transfer here than we rejected.

1 Like

Well I think that J’wan has a better post game with his left hook then Gorham. But Gorham’s ability to shoot opened up the lane which made it easier to score in the paint. I remember Fabian and Gorham being on the floor together quite a bit during the tournament. Sometimes when we have J’wan and Chaney in at the same time this year the paint feels cluttered. I just wish J’wan would shoot the midrange. It makes it more dangerous because the defender doesn’t know if he will shoot or bang down low.

I think Memphis gives everyone of those teams big problems,

If you’re only looking at offensive output (excluding efficiency), sure. Defensively or all around player, not even close.

2 Likes

My wife likes hoops and a couple weeks back we were watching the Memphis/Shockers matchup and she said,”I’ve been watching Kendrick for the last 3 possessions on D and every time he was just kinda standing there. It looks weird.”

3 Likes

I’m sure CKS was well aware of KD’s lack of desire to play D, which is why we never heard any interest from UH staffers after KD publicly said he’d like to play here.

1 Like

I’d say they’re about as good as the team we had 3 years ago. Though the actual roster construction is probably more similar to the team we had in Robs senior year. Part of their problem this year was injuries. The team we played this Sunday was mostly healthy. That team is top 30, maybe even top 25 in the country.

Shead