Glad I Found the Site

The “Like” button is so much better than rating posts by stars.

8 Likes

Will the new site have all the great and breaking information that the scout site had?

Given that we signed literally the TOP G5 recruiting class, I stand by my assertion that the damage, or for that matter, allegations of potential damage to our program that people on rivals made concerning Sellers’ statement were overblown. I understand your theory, but I need more than theory before I’ll accept that I am wrong on that. Show me some EFFECTS, that is to say, show me a recruit that actually changed his mind or a player that left the program on that basis of that rumor, and then maybe I’ll be more convinced.

The truth is, like it or not, Rob wasn’t saying anything that most of the rest of the people in his business weren’t saying. It just so happens that they were all WRONG, but I am not going to get on a publisher’s case for stating what was pretty much the dominant view in the industry at the time. If he said something else, then he probably would have looked uninformed, and that would have hurt his credibility in the business. Can hardly blame him. If he had gone against the grain and said that Herman would stay, and then he left, he’d have looked even worse for being literally the only person in the business saying that at the time, and being the only person not to “get” it.

Given that, I think that a lot of the folks on rivals overreacted, but feel free to disagree.

You can be sure of one thing: if we crash the playoff party this year, and DON’T get a P5 invite as a result, then the rumors in the media about Herman leaving will be even WORSE this year, and no worthwhile sports writer will be saying otherwise.

Prepare yourself!

I couldn’t find the password to the email account that I was associated with on the rivals board. I never went there. Just wasn’t my cup of tea. Been with coogfans.com since 2003ish. By the way, I was uhsigep96 on coogfans.com.

I just assume that the premium board will grow and the common nonsense threads about the big 10 just chomping at the jaw for us or the color blue, raised bevels and palm tree discussions that reach 12 pages will be found here.

1 Like

Does it matter and was it potentially damaging? Tom Herman says it was, by the fact that he took time to address the issue with the team and the media. You are disagreeing with him not just me and other folks who left the site.

I guess CTH should check in with you next season about what to do if and when it happens again—Well, being that he blew it out of proportion according to your perspective. Just let him know all of the phone calls from recruits and questions from his team are overblown concerns----the products of a “dubious” belief.

Portions of the media and other competing coaching staffs will say the same thing this year as its part of their job description. But guess what? Im not paying them a dime for cougar related services. The same goes for Rob Sellers.

I just like how much cleaner the page looks

They are all entitled to their opinions about how damaging it was, and I am entitled to my opinion that such concerns/opinions were/are overblown/dubious.

The bottom line: no recruit or player changed his mind as a result of the rumor, so any claims about potential damage are hypothetical/theoretical at best. They’re not based on any real-life, objective evidence. Given that, I stand by my opinion that such concerns were/are overblown and resulting assertions/opinions to that effect were/are dubious.

As I said, prepare yourself in case we crash the playoff party this season, because if we do, and still don’t get a P5 invite, you may not find a sportswriter alive who will say that Hermam is staying, and when they don’t, I hope you won’t automatically abandon them all.

Thanks for letting us know we are all entitled to our own opinions. Especially the Coach–and for letting us know the media may say he is leaving again—absolutely profound man.

You ask for proof?—You have proof of the effect. The head coach of the Houston Cougar football team deemed it important enough to address his own team and the media about it. He saw it as potentially damaging. Period. Proof.

Long live Coogfans!

1 Like

Seeing a thing as being potentially damaging and having a thing actually be damaging are two entirely different things.

Show me an example of a recruit that changed his mind, or a player that left the program as a result, and I’ll be more convinced. That’s the only proof that would show actual damage to the program. Anything else offered up, including what you did, falls short of being convincing proof on the matter.

So even as far as “seeing” it is concerned, apparently no player or recruit saw it that way. So NO PROOF…period…right back at ya!

Until you can show me a player or recruit that acted on Sellers’ interview in a manner averse to the program, I stand by my position that claims/fears of damage from Sellers interview are/were overblown, and opinions stated to that effect are/were dubious.

Disagree if you wish, but you haven’t shown me the proof that I seek.

If Coach Tom Herman cant convince you its important I dont know who can. You feel that you have a better perspective on the matter than he does I suppose. Keep grasping at straws.

1 Like

Not so.

I simply feel that I need examples of recruits and players doing what you allege would happen as a result of Sellers’ interview in order to be convinced that YOUR perspective on Sellers’ interview is correct. In other words, I need PROOF that your perspective is correct, before I’ll be convinced by it.

So far, I haven’t seen it, and you haven’t provided it.

Providing someone else’s identical perspective, no matter whose it is, doesn’t constitute proof. Proof consists only of real life examples showing that what you allege would happen as a result of Sellers’ interview did indeed happen, and there simply aren’t any.

As such, I remain very reasonably unconvinced by your perspective, regardless of whoever else might hold it, including Coach Herman.

Helpful hint: accept NO perspective, opinion, or assertion, other than possibly a religious one, in the absence of proof. Moreover, I would advise against basing your actions on unproven assertions or theories. Such assertions and theories may be based more on fear than actual evidence, and that makes them a less compelling basis for action.

Lets review: You statement was >

“a dubious assertion in my view; how many recruits make up their minds based on what a dang sports writer or publisher has to say?”

The answer comes in the form of Coach Herman addressing the media and his team in a public way about what a “dang sports writer or publisher” had to say. He obviously deemed it influential enough to do something about it. End of story.

He possibly opined that it would be negatively influential, but that doesn’t mean that it was, in fact.

All the proof in the form of actual results and examples suggests otherwise: top G5 class, highest ranked UH recruiting class since organized class rankings have been kept, no recruit or player rejecting or leaving the program as a result.

Given that I remain unconvinced of the harm that the other side claims Sellers’ interview might cause.

You seem to be missing the point. Harm and potential damage are both bad things Law97.

Do you wear you seat belt even if you have never been in a serious accident? Would you let your kids hang out with gang members even if no evidence of ill effects thus far? would you not wear a helmet while you rode a motorcycle because you had never wrecked yours? Do you buy fire and flood insurance for your house?

If a guy you were hanging out with pointed a gun at your head and shot but missed and invited you to come over again next weekend would you show up? No harm no foul right?

Coach saw a need to stop the rumors from a sports journalist due to the effects it was having on his program. Its really that simple.

I think that the difference there is that there are plenty of real-life EXAMPLES of people being saved by seatbelts, and/or harmed or killed by not wearing them, plenty of real life examples of people losing everything in a flood by not having flood insurance, and others being able to rebuild their lives as a result of having it, etc. to make people reasonably base their actions on them. Indeed, those numerous real-life examples provide a reasonable, rational basis for action when it comes to seat belts, insurance, etc.

See by contrast, there are NO real life examples of players or recruits actually doing any of the things that the naysayers alleged or theorized they would do as a result of Sellers’ interview. Given that, by comparison, those allegations aren’t a very reasonable or rational basis for action. Any actions taken as a result of those allegations are based merely on fear, rather than actual evidence, and fear alone isn’t an especially compelling basis for action, in my view.

BAD analogy. No comparison there.

So if you’re going to try and convince me based on an argument by analogy, then I remain unconvinced, because those situations (seat belts, flood insurance, etc) aren’t even close to being analogous to the one at issue here.

I’d like proof that it DIDN’T make a potential recruit change his mind. Otherwise I back up coach Herman. You can take up the bloggers side, I’ll stick with CTH.

@uhlaw97 @UHEEALUM

It seems this conversation is starting to go in circles and seems to be trying to prove who is more right. Can we get back on topic, which is people are glad about this new site? Thanks.

4 Likes

Good to be back, tricky little www. Site looks great, specially for tablets.

The www thing SHOULD be fixed now… :slight_smile: