Herman

Plenty to regret. Having a job that you are set for life versus spending 4 hard years at UT would cause most people to regret it. Imagine somebody offered you a $4.5 million a year job where everybody loves you and you had everything going for you, but instead of just stay and build upon what you already had you decided to leave for a job that gave the illusion of more glams and prestige with a slight bump in pay, but it turned out to be a lot more headaches and stress than any positives that you could have ever gotten out of it.

I don’t know about you, but I would regret it big time! First of all, if I found myself in Herman’s situation I would never leave no matter how hard other schools try to lure me away. There is certain things in life that is a fit for you and when you find it you should cherish it for I don’t think you could find it else where no matter how much more money somebody else offers you or the prestige that you might think this other place might have over your current place. You don’t give up a great fit to look for another great fit. More chances than not you won’t find a better fit elsewhere. I think both Herman and Scott Frost realized it now and they would tell you that if they’re honest with you.

Furthermore, I also believe in being humble and I don’t think having more money (Especially getting paid a little more with UT in Herman’s case) would make you happier. There is also a case to be made in being more satisfying to start your own legend instead of following somebody else’s footsteps like Herman was trying to do with the paths left by Mac Brown and Darrell Royal. Coach Sampson has even mentioned something about that as one of the reasons why he took the UH job instead of a job with a more successful program that already had the facility, prestige, and proven coaching history. He said he wanted to go to a place that had the least of those things and set his own path instead of simply following somebody else’s path. I know then he is an extremely rare coach and a perfect fit for UH!

3 Likes

Not true. We matched that contract and Tillman personally guaranteed if we lost Herman it wouldn’t be because of money

3 Likes

Even as a diehard coogfan myself, any coach would be downright insane to not take a head coaching gig at one of the most elite football programs in the entire country. Herman will never regret leaving UH. Herman knew that Houston wasn’t going to get into the Big 12.

The only reason we are even in the Big 12 now is because UT left. As much as I hate to say it, in a weird way we really should be thanking them.

Herman was great for Houston, and without him we wouldn’t even be here. Of course it’s always unfortunate when a coach leaves for a bigger school, but that’s just a part of being a G5 school like Houston.

7 Likes

Well, that’s you, but not me. I would not leave a program that gave me a chance and everything is going great for the both of us. It’s like the old saying goes – “You don’t leave fish to look for fish.” You want a dream job, make UH your dream job! Coach K did, look how he has turned Duke into a dream job for all the other coaches coming after him! That’s the mentality some rare people also share with me, such as Coach Sampson and Coach Krzyzewski.

1 Like

Of course they chose their profession !!

true but he got paid
in a big way. How many of us would say no to that pay day.
he could retire and buy a whole bunch of chic-fil-a’s

Well now we have one with Dana. He’s love the city of Houston, and he knows how much potential UH has in a P5 conference.

1 Like

Nostalgic purposes the 2015, 2016 days of Herman, Tre Stewart, and Greg Ward Jr.
Glad to have been at both the FSU Peach Bowl and the OU kickoff as an east coast Coogs fan

7 Likes

I could care about judas. Coaches need to learn in a continuous basis. The game evolves constantly on offense, defense, special teams as well as physical and nutrition. Saban and Belichick are great at it.

30 pieces of silver goes a long way. But really i don’t think it was about the money, he picked UT for the fame. Its funny UT didn’t like him, he personified their greed and arrogance.

11 Likes

He knew he had a shot at UT to win a Natty, no shot at Houston at the time, it wasn’t about money, it was about the National Championship opportunity

Fame and greed are pretty close allies

“Coach Sampson has even mentioned something about that as one of the reasons why he took the UH job instead of a job with a more successful program that already had the facility, prestige, and proven coaching history. He said he wanted to go to a place that had the least of those things and set his own path instead of simply following somebody else’s path. I know then he is an extremely rare coach and a perfect fit for”

It’s called maturity and life experience. Sampson been there done that. Young coaches don’t understand trying to build a legacy. They want to go right to the top.

4 Likes

Reportedly, Tillman said he would match the offer, but it doesn’t matter, I guess. To your point, and for what it’s worth, in my humble opinion, some would say no (certainly, I know people who have turned down much higher paying jobs and opportunities in pursuit of their own definition of success). Clearly, however, we (UH) weren’t part of Herman’s definition of success and happiness, and that’s all that matters. If he had stayed, Herman might have become a UH legend, but he didn’t, and left in a way that was questionable at best. Plus, if what @coachv is saying is true, then Herman always intended to leave us. So, no matter how exciting Tom Herman was for UH football (and I loved those times), there are better coaches out there if (and that’s an if) CDH does not end up working out for UH Football.

3 Likes

Beard left Texas Tech for UT for exact same pay. TTU was paying him a boatload because of his success and trying to keep him from looking/going elsewhere. Guess what! He still left when UT came calling. It happens!

2 Likes

That battle with OU, then a bruising roadie at Cincinnati took a lot from that 2016 team. That team simply ran out of gas after that roadie. Navy simply shoved us to the ground and you could see the dazed looks from the stands at SMU. We renergized for Loiseville but never fully recovered. Herman’s pending departure is the reason we lost at Memphis.

1 Like

Herman was exactly what that 2015 team needed. A high strung energy guy who pushed a talented team to glory. Peach Bowl, AAC championship, wins over OKlahoma, Florida State, Loiseville. Recall too that there were three ranked teams in the AAC in 2015.

Magical run for sure and for that am glad Herman took this job, whether it was a stepping stone or not.

9 Likes

I was at the game and still think if that hurricane didn’t hit, Ed O and the fellows would’ve won in Annapolis in less wet conditions. #6 ranking before that October afternoon

1 Like

He had a great shot at UH. UH was ranked #6 after their first game of the 2016 season. Only would have had to get us up 2 more spots and with Louisville still on the schedule he had a GREAT shot at competing for a Natty at the University of Houston
he just didn’t want to.

1 Like