KU next domino?

That’s true, but at no point in the process was I sorry that we made the leap. Even knowing what I know now (knowing what I knew even after we signed that first, crappy TV contract) I wouldn’t have done anything differently. Would you?

That’s an interesting question though it’s not what I was referring to.

Coogs1996’s comment suggested that Kansas’s departure would trigger some NCAA or conference charter rule that would dissolve the conference (or relieve the departing schools of their obligations). That isn’t the case as long as they can re-stock. Which, as long as there are teams remaining, they will be able to. If not with AAC teams, then with MWC ones.

This (if it wasn’t ####%) would be horrible for us.

Fortunately the Irate 8 are gonna soak up their money in private for a couple of years while they put a public guilt trip on UT and OU.

Ku brings in the third most media money in the b12, because they are so iconic in basketball

Kansas isn’t going anywhere. This is all generated by fans and media.

2 Likes

KU leaving would further destabilize the Big12. It might be the right move for ESPN to reach its ultimate goal of the big 12 collapsing.

Yeah I can see the benefit to Mickey and KU. But what’s the benefit to the B1G?

Destabilizing the B12 would also destabilize the AAC. It works to our favor further down the road but right now it would deplete us of our better teams.

Cincy and UCF and Memphis would all join them today. I’d bet on it.

But after a couple of years of ESPN drumming the B12 everyone would be a bit more apprehensive. That’s why I want them to stay intact for now.

American schools joining Big 12?? Not without any Big 12 TV contract after 2024…we do what ESPN tells us…

1 Like

In this scenario, I expect ESPN would make financial assurances to the BIG in the future for taking on KU now. KU is a good school with a long sports history that fits BIG culture. Football drives the bus but is horrible at KU. However, a few school’s bb is so elite it could swing the deal athletically. We’re talking Duke, UNC, KU, Kentucky level blue blood bb.

BIG would get a good program that fits and not have to spend a lot of money initially. Also would do ESPN a favor which BIG can collect on later

Good luck with that. Cincy would go tonight. Book it.

Texas Tech and OK State would fit in the AAC. Maybe TCU.

1 Like

B1G is mostly Fox. Fans love realignment talk. Might B1G add Kansas despite being a sinkhole for TV money? They could.

The B1G gives Kansas $45 million per year, some of which they’ll take from the current members. Doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes

I can see my family inviting the winner of the science fair to live rent free in my garage apartment.

I know it’ll cost us $5000 to remodel the room but somewhere down the line this kid is gonna help us save money on our electric usage.

1 Like

The benefit to the B1G is that they’d get another basketball “blue blood” added to what is already a “powerhouse” basketball conference with blue bloods of its own.

The downside?

There will now be another sucky football program to battle it out with Rutgers and Illinois for the B1G cellar.

The downside is KU doesn’t bring $40+ million dollars worth of TV viewers. Why pay money to lose money? Fans just see games and rivalries, most of which they get for free on TV. Lovely idea, but I’d pass were I the B1G.

2 Likes

from what i’ve read, fox and espn split football, cbs is mostly bb, and espn owns btn. that doesn’t scream “mostly fox” to me.

Fox has first rights to football games, gets to pick which ones they want. Also pretty sure ESPN is not involved with the Big 10 network. It says Fox owns 51% and the conference owns 49%.

1 Like

PAC contract

• 5 prime time football games on ABC and Fox
  • Football games will also be on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and FX
  • Basketball games will be on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and FoxSports regional networks
  • ABC/ESPN and Fox will rotate the annual football championship game each year
  • ESPN and Fox/FX will alternate the basketball conference tournament
  • ESPN will also carry some of the Pac-12′s other olympic sports not on the Pac-12 network

For weeks I see post after post saying, “its about the $$$.”

Then the same people suggest that the Big Ten are going to take Kansas.

Is it about the $$$ or not? Because Kansas football would suck the air, cash, excitement, and life force out of the Big Ten. They would make Indiana look like Alabama.

1 Like

I thought that the “Not So Big 8” were meeting with the PAC 12 about a merger?