Memphis

I slightly disagree, but mostly agree.

Penny has a system. In fact, he kind of mimics Sampson. He loves the coogs toughness and great defense. That’s exactly what he wants and until the last three games he has achieved it for the last two years defensively.
But Sampson recruits the kids based on if they will work here.
Penny just recruits the highest rated kids. He assumes he can make them work.
It doesn’t.

4 Likes

Guys like Jarrace and TA may start or get starter minutes during their Freshman seasons, but we know with the emphasis on TEAM defense that they will have to work well with the rest of the roster first. That means that initially they will get smaller minutes. Those minutes will grow as they progress.

KG contributed 29 minutes per game to an NBA team as a 19 year old, Lebron contributed 39. Obviously, age and maturity are not always hand-in-hand.

There is no defense played in the NBA.

3 Likes

Who sees Murray St beating Memphis in Fedex friday night?
The 7-1 Racers just beat 7-1 MTSU at home. Otherwise their competition has been pretty weak honestly.

1 Like

They must have a toxic locker room:

Memphis basketball: Penny Hardaway owns his role in clubhouse rift (commercialappeal.com)

He needs to recruit coachable players……
……oh, wait…. He cannot coach !

@ 14:10 The boys let Penny have it on this self created mess.

Do you watch a lot of NBA?

None.

1 Like

I must admit, I’ve had a lot of fun reading the Memphis message boards the last few months. When the news broke UH, UC, UCF and BYU were headed to Big 12, I jumped on a Memphis message board and enjoyed their bitching. There was a lot of UH bashing, too, and then we beat them in football. They have such an inflated opinion of their basketball program (no NCAA berth since 2014) and they trashed our Final Four. It’s really laughable, so screw them and I’m going to enjoy every moment of their demise in a new league. Memphis: bad school, small town that’s crime-ridden, bad facilities. No wonder Big 12 has passed them up twice.

11 Likes

There is a bad smell in Memphis?

The no defense in the nba takes are always so bad. And comparing it to college is even worse. College players are just significantly worse at offense and that’s why it looks like they play great defense. We literally double the whole game and have dudes in shambles. You do that in the NBA you would get cooked. It’s why when we play good teams with guys who have basic skills like ball handling and passing the defense doesn’t look so great lol. We played baylor who has a bunch of NBA guys and they absolutely cooked us by simple just passing the ball.

9 Likes

Being older, playing 82+ games and playing against guys who can make shots certainly impacts defense.
There is a reason traps and presses don’t work at the highest level

2 Likes

My observation of Memphis is that when the players are pulled out they are talking with Larry Brown and Penny looks like a spectator. Sampson will pull a player and coach him himself. Perhaps Larry and Penny are coaching two different ways and it’s leading to the players not sure what to do thus all the turnovers?

The turnovers issue that they are having has been plaguing them since last season

I have a hard time believing Larry wants Bates to play PG

Great video

Penny’s seat has to be getting very warm.

Memphis has now dropped 4 in a row. 3 to unranked opponents. They have Bama and Tennessee next. They basically not have to win the conference tournament to get in. Might not even get an NIT bid. Will likely have a lot of players transfer soon.

2 Likes