Moving to electric vehicles will dull recessions currently inflated by oil

Top comment on that websites article…

"Uh, what? This smells like bull**** to me.

My Chevy Bolt uses about 29Kwh to drive 100 miles.
I pay .25 per Kw to charge at home. That’s $7.25 for 100 miles.

My gas car gets about 22 mpg combined, for 100 miles that’s 4.5 gallons @ $4/gal = $18 in regular gas for 100 miles."

Sidenote: .25 per Kw!!! Damn…That’s almost double my current rate.

1 Like

Is there any “luxury” ICE vehicle that gets 50 MPG? (not that I can find…a Lux hybrid gets close I guess)

Meanwhile…another article comment gem…

“This is an anti EV thing that AEG’s been pushing for years, even Jalopnik’s sister site has an article debunking this…”

I have an electricity plan with free nights. I charge my Tesla for free.

3 Likes

Something interesting, the Saudis are big investors in EV. So they know something we don’t?

At Rudy’s for lunch today. Is this a protest, or just an Aggie??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Probably rolls coal as well.

1 Like

This is how to piss off a Tesla owner 101. I’m in a Tesla group on FB. You should see them lose their everloving minds when somebody does this. I always ask, how far did you have to drive to a Rudy’s just to recharge? Some Tesla owners just like to charge at places just because they can, not because they need it. They give the rest of us a bad name.

It’s a real a hole move. Just like parking in a handicap spot, one for expecting moms, or designated vets parking spot. You wonder if they are that unaware or just that big of an azz.

1 Like
1 Like

‘targeting a driving range of up to 500 miles and towing capacity over 10,000 pounds.’

I did one of those market research group things (think I got paid a couple hundred bucks for it too) a few years ago…all were truck owners. One of the suggestions we were mostly agreed on was 500 miles should be the min target capacity for a vehicle. Nice to see that number being hit or at least targeted in the real world.

Also, towing 10,000 lbs it going to really lower your miles…there’s a video on it somewhere were they do real world towing and its striking. Unless the truck was optimized for the 10K lbs its not going to do well mile wise towing. Going to be hard to get around that until more super chargers are out there or even faster charging than now becomes a thing. Best to have a EV for driving and an ICE for towing currently. Edit add: Quick web skim looks like heaving towing is going to cut your available miles in half per Motor Trend mag and maybe cut it up to 60% or more.

1 Like

Not surprised by this. On highway, unloaded, I can get 20.3 mpg in 2500 V8 gas. Pulling a loaded trailer I’m pretty much in the 8-9 mpg
range ~ 60% drop.

1 Like

What I don’t get is why doesn’t Tesla make a car that could go 1000 miles? Priuses only go 0-60 in 11 seconds, but people buy them because it gets great mileage. Just dial down the performance to maximize range. Not everyone wants a car that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds.

1 Like

Sounds right, physics being what they are and all.

1 Like

The acceleration advantage of electric vehicles is mostly due to electric motors being able to get to full torque much faster than combustion engines. There’s less things happening turning energy to rotation in an EV vs an ICE.

The total miles limit is mainly due to weight. Those batteries are really heavy and expensive. Add enough for a 1000 mile per charge rating and you’ve lost a load of efficiency while adding a huge cost. Since US drivers only drive an average of 35 miles a day it doesn’t make financial sense. You’d probably snare some early adopters but the cost would keep avg buyers away.

Tesla doing so bad that they are going to build a new factory in Mexico.

i hadnt posted in this thread but its really poor policy and entirely to costly to continue to move to eletric and renewable energy:

1. wind turbines have a 20% efficiency compared to a 85% efficiency in coal, gas and in nuclear power plants. This means that wind power loses 80% of the energy that the wind turbines create versus only a 15% loss of energy in coal, gas and nuclear.
  2. natural gas provides 22 percent of the energy for the United States . It’s estimated that replacing natural gas’s 22 percent of energy consumed by the United States would take 300,000 wind turbines and you’re going to need 1.2 million windmills to replace all current carbon fuel in the usa and the transmission lines that go with that.
  3. and don’t forget, oil is 30% more efficient that ethanol per gallon of gas.
  4. megawatt hoiur costs: coal comes in around $23 to make a megawatt hour of electricity with the next best thing being gas at around $44 and those lovely renewables are barely in the same neighborhood with wind costing around $142 and solar costing around $396.

the usa is estimated to have another 1.2 to 1.8 trillion barrels of shale oil in the Green River Formation that stretches through the Rocky Mountains. you want to dull recessions thru energy, unlock the production of that.

now, i’m not advocating going all oil, gas and coal; i would actually be most pro using cities of size powered by nuclear, small and rural by coal and transportation by oil+gas. do that and the country gets a lot greener, its carbon resources last a lot longer, makes living in the usa and producing products in the usa the cheapest they can be and keeps the most costly and material in smallest supply, car battery materials least needed.
electric vehicles were never a good solution or they would have beat out gas vehicles when first tried decades ago.

So you want us to be dependent on foreign oil? Want us to be Saudi Arabia’s, Russia’s and Venezuela’s puta? Those windmills are free energy made in the USA. We aren’t importing wind. What’s that mean windmills are 20% efficient? You mean they are wasting 80% of the wind? Lol, you’re brainwashed.

Show your sources please.

Fuel costs for wind and solar are zero. What
fossil fuel has a zero fuel cost ?

And advocating for any use of coal is really
short sighted. High CO2 emissions and dirty
air in terms of nasty particulates and coal ash
disposal problems. Coal is fuel of last resort.

Wind and solar generators across the state have been asked by ERCOT to initiate curtailment — essentially, to reduce output below the maximum generation capacity when generation exceeds transmission capacity. Curtailment prevents transmission congestion caused by grid constraints and helps to avoid overloads.

There are simply not enough transmission lines to move all the wind- and solar-generated electricity to the customers that need it.

Transmission lines can take eight to 10 years to build and require significant capital investment. Increasing energy capacity in any sector is not as simple as just increasing production. In a recent interview with

2 Likes