My Terrible Opinions on Our Big Men

Lath is the next Olajuwon now. Yay! Can’t wait.

1 Like

Roberts, Frances & Tugler is good enough.
TA & Sharp are good enough.

If LJ and Shead leave we are not good enough at PG & SG

2 Likes

Well I saw Akeem before he enrolled at UH.
Saw him playing at Fonde against mostly pros.
I can tell you Dream was the immediate talk of those pro players.
Nobody pushed him around. Only a select few non pros were allowed to play at Fonde and Olajuwon was one of the few.
He was raw but obviously oozed with talent.
Guy coached him from raw talent but Lewis had a special talent and he knew it

2 Likes

Playing against Moses Malone taught him a few things.

2 Likes

“C’mon Mo, be a mon”.

Few people could get away with that!

As I recall, that was after Malone took him under his wing.

1 Like

The Fonde guys weren’t nice to him and it worked.

1 Like

MacFarland is a 4 star ! Will be getting a lot of minutes next year. He is 6 11 and is quick.

6 Likes

Thanx

That happened after he enrolled at UH but yes Malone helped his game a lot.

Watching him you could tell he was different. The Bunce brothers and Micheaux roughed him up every day, and the assistant (Fitzpatrick?) would be out there screaming.

1 Like

If everyone is back McF will get limited minutes at best.
If Roberts leaves and we stay status quo our front court rotation is Francis, Tugler, Arceneaux with McF getting SOME minutes as the 4th big…

Roberts returns and he is the 5th guy.

Lath has size and height. He got a scholarship for a reason.

1 Like

McFarland is a major wildcard right now. I could see him being much better than people expect.

3 Likes

McFarland is going to be a major piece next season. He can compete with Francis as a starter level big right now.

1 Like

Yes. That is true. However, the reason was we were also courting his best friend to come be the heir to the Kingdom and take over PG after Shead. We all now it didn’t go as planned and that’s why I think Lath could be gone.

For those bringing up the Hakeem stories to say that Lath could bloom as well, one thing about Lath that doesn’t seem to fit the mold of Sampson bigs is that he is not really a leaper. Seems like his feet barely leave the floor. But it is a small sample size so maybe that will improve also.

But on a positive note, and speaking of leapers. I cant believe nobody is talking about that inbounds play we ran early in game I think it was 6-0 at the time. Would have been the second best dunk of the year behind Shead’s vs aggie. Francis tried to end Filipowski’s life on that play :joy: :joy: :joy: cant believe he missed that dunk, and if the roles were reversed I’m sure we would have been called for a foul. F dook

2 Likes

So where did the “Mcfarland signed with somebody else” come from?

2 Likes

Carlton could jump like 5 inches!

Roberts got hit in the face early in the game, no review for flagrant, no foul

1 Like

I’d rather our Big rotation next year be Francis/McFarland and Roberts/Tugler. Id expect plenty of scoring from Roberts, Tugler and McFarland. Francis will surely try to add to his offensive game this off season as well.

Arceneaux needs to be getting minutes at the 3 not the 4. We were not as good rebounding this year as we have been in previous years. Having something like Francis, Roberts, and Arceneaux on the court at the same time will get us back to our exceptional rebounding days. We can preach and practice effort and rebounding all we want but you can’t expect a small ball lineup to go out there and out rebound these 7 footers we now play on week in and week out.

1 Like