Navy vs UH -- Week 4

Not necessarily, no.

It depends on if they still have an IRR (Inactive Ready Reserve) clause in their contract which still binds them beyond their active duty separation date.

Flag Officers (Generals and Admirals), however, at the rank of two star and above serve at the pleasure of the President.

They can always be called back.

Enlisted - It is an eight-year commitment with either four or six years active duty. During those eight years and after your active commitment, you can be called back from IRR.

Lol ok

1 Like

Well it is 21st day of September n not much going on here so

3 Likes

@acruz2
"wink, wink

GO COOGS!!

@ Jess22
well played. Great song & great group

1 Like

Agree.

Niumatalolo is one of the dirtiest coaches I’ve witnessed. I hope everyone has knee braces on and the refs are on alert for chop and cut blocks.

Pretty sure they played September over the PA system during the Grambling game. And, if no one has mentioned it yet, I like the PA announcer. Is he permanent or just filling in for the Minute Maid guy due to an Astros conflict? And I don’t think I was dropped by the WiFi. We must have P5 WiFi now!

1 Like

Well that’s cool. I would like to see this kid tear it up.

Not much respect it. But we’ll get there.

When I was in, enlisted men signed up for a total of six years, normally 4 active and 2 inactive. When you went on as a regular navy enlistment, you served 4 years and were then separated, not discharged. You were transferred to the inactive navy reserves and then after two years were then officially discharged. However there were various exceptions like “Kiddy Cruisers” who signed up at 17 any time before their 18th birthday and then on their 21st birthday they were separated and transferred to inactive reserves. But in any case it was a total 6 year obligation.

I really don’t know what the options for officers were, but I suspect the obligation was also 6 years.

Our recent history with Navy has been we stop their running game and they kill us with long over the top passes. I believe our d-line and linebackers can shut down their triple option. Just hope our secondary doesn’t leave their receivers in the wind.
And of course our offense can improve.

1 Like

The two 11-2 years they have had since joining the AAC - 2015 (Keenan Reynolds) and 2019 (Malcolm Perry) they had the perfect QB for their offense.

Tai Lavatai- The starter got hurt vs Marshall. Don’t think he is back yet.

Xavier Arline (107 yards of 32 attempts) is the running QB.
Much smaller than Lavatai and limited as a passer. (2 for 8-25 yards passing)

Small sample size but Maynor (5 for 11-59 yards passing) who replaced Lavatai is not much of a runner. Just 4 yards in 7 attempts.

I like the UH defense to stack up and beat down the run game & they wont have the passing game to take advantage.

Ironically Navy Football actually has more followers on Instagram than UH football

1 Like

Mike,

For Officers, it varies by Commissioning source.

Officers commissioned through OCS have a three year Active Duty obligation. This is generally followed by five years in the IRR for a total of eight years.

Officers commissioned through ROTC generally have a four year active duty obligation, followed by four years in the IRR. In the case of Army ROTC graduates commissioned directly into the Reserves or NG, the obligation is typically eight years as a drilling reservist.

For service academy graduates, the obligation is typically five years active duty and three years IRR.

Aviators, regardless of commissioning source, typically have a 6-10 year active duty commitment depending on the air frame. Naval and Air Force aviators nearly always have a ten year active duty obligation.

Graduates of State National Guard OCSes generally have an eight year obligation as a drilling reservist.

Health Professionals on scholarship typically owe one year active duty for every year of medical/other health care school and residency paid for. I believe the obligation for health professionals, non-scholarship, is three years active and five IRR. Not sure about health professionals directly commissioned into the reserves or guard, but I’m guessing that’s eight years drilling.

Reserve component direct commissionees typically have an eight year drilling obligation.

Chaplain and JAG direct commissionees typically owe three active and five IRR. Those directly commissioned into the reserve component generally owe eight years as a drilling reservist.

Hope that helps!

Of course, as the Officer advances, the Officer incurs additional active duty service obligations. Going to the Captain’s Career Course, Staff College, and War College all add a one year obligation after graduation. Also, each change of station is at least a one year obligation; overseas it can be up to three. That’s why I had to retire at 20 years and two months active instead of right at 20. I needed a little over two more months to complete my three year tour requirement in Hawaii.

2 Likes

Sound system sounded better to me, anyway much better sound than that damn NRG stadium

1 Like

Agreed. We cannot allow the long pass to hurt us like it has in years past. Hopefully Belk has a game plan to contain the rush and limit the (catching us off guard) long pass play.

1 Like

This is the worst team Navy’s had in a while, but we also have a rookie DC going against the triple option for the first time. I love Doug Belk, but thats a tough spot.

Our strength offensively right now is great talent at RB. Dana can help out his young DC by giving McCaskill, Henry, and Car 10+ carries each and controlling the clock.

Houston 28 Navy 10

1 Like

Knavy has been in business since 1842- that’s a lot of grads.