Next Head Coach

100% correct. Coastal Carolina won national championship in 2016 and DBU is consistently making regionals

1 Like

You answered your own question, if you don’t need a big school in a major conference to go to a CWS, then why not go to a small school? Obviously there are small programs doing well in recruiting and RPI, so maybe the B12 will not help as much in baseball. Locally, Rice made a run a few years back, now it is DBU and Sam Houston. You may know how HS kids are recruited, do they recruit each other to go to a school?

From my experience, the most successful coaches have at least one really good assistant who truly develops players. Recruiting requires a lot of work, but it becomes much easier if a coach cultivates relationships with high school and select coaches.

In my opinion, we’ve lacked on both areas for a few years. Regardless of our conference, we have a built in recruiting advantage because of our location, facilities and history. This is why multiple years of mediocrity are unacceptable. Baseball should have been at nearly the same level as basketball for the last several years.

3 Likes

Rice fans can say the same thing. Rice had it all but replacing the wrong guy for Graham hurt them big time.
To be honest I think Rice ought to be a top 10 team every year but that’s what happens when you select the wrong coach

1 Like

“Select coaches”

Showcase coaches 91 , showcase……13u is select.

Just giving you a hard time.

Just trying to communicate with everyone in the common lingo. :slightly_smiling_face:

Those actual showcase coaches would be super-impressed to have their organizations called “select ball.” :laughing:

1 Like

Both Noble and Whittings downfall have been when they lost Jerry assistants. Couch and Allen for Noble and Anderson and Couch for Whittings. The current assistant, not Brunn seems to be doing a better job at connecting locally.

1 Like

They got in their own way and quickly started thinking like rice again and took away the advantage baseball had -

But they also had a lock on houston isd elite baseball talent then but that has dried up tremendously and has had an effect

Kivett, he’s legit.

4 Likes

"we feel as though the trajectory of the program needed to be changed,” NMSU Director of Athletics Mario Moccia said
New Mexico State fires baseball coach Mike Kirby after 0-7 start to 2023 campaign | KTSM 9 News

Maybe we should poach NMSU’s AD.

1 Like

He just got a five year extension.

1 Like

The one who hired the basketball coach? He got an extension? That is crazy, if true.

I’m just throwing this name out there, as crazy as it might sound. Craig Biggio. Would he even have interest?

1 Like

Would DBU coach be interested??

No. He has turned down a number of Power 5 schools.

1 Like

I think he just signed another extension.

UTSA coach is good and has solid relationships with coaches….doing it with basically no facilities.

Texas St. Coach is solid…

Allen is the popular choice.

2 Likes

Yeah but we’re Houston!.. :joy:

1 Like

See Berkman at hcu

Kids aren’t as enamored with pros as coaches in college like they would be in high school

2 Likes

Woody? I don’t know if he even connects with local coaches.

I agree with you on that. It hasn’t quite worked out for Lance thus far.