No to Deion Sanders

I think my question is how has he been successful. Is he coaching better or recruiting better?

11-2 last year with losses to Louisiana-Monroe and S Carolina St. If UH only went 11-2 with that schedule everyone would be ready to burn down the program, regardless of who our coach was. It was pointed out in another thread that JSU has higher star recruits than UH, so I wonder if he is just winning by talent level, not coaching.

Rich folks need tax write-offs so donā€™t act like Dana did it for charity

Deion will be here on November 5 against TSU - letā€™s support him lol

UH problem is we like to overpay for folks with P5 backgrounds but in reality an up and comer at lower level working with less resources would treat UH like they hit the lottery

Then we get mad when the P5 person doesnā€™t succeed as theyā€™re working with less in their eyes

3 Likes

I do respect what Sanders is doing with his goals for historically black colleges. If he just moves to a bigger college name, he will go against all he has preached about these past couple years. I think that will hurt his ability to recruit. Only a few schools can probably pass muster with enough diversity for him to not become a sell out.

Donā€™t write off a million dollar gift to UH.

Within 6 months to 2 years, the ā€œlotteryā€ feeling would be gone and so would the hire . . . . .

1 Like

Itā€™s usually a write off of 60% but that has been suspended I believe and you can deduct 100% of a donation at this time.

Part of the Covid relief plan.

They just had a segment on 97.5 talking about how attendance issues is a chronic problem UH. Lanceā€™s dad used to coach at UH and we are experiencing the same issues then that we are now.

Sad to say- but being an energetic salesman that gets the apathetic Houstonian (alum or not) is a MUST for the HC job right now.

Herman understood this, Deion has this quality but unfortunately, Tillman does not understand this.

I would say that winning will help someā€¦.if we were 3-0 instead of 1-2 there would be more fans tomorrowā€¦ā€¦how many? I would guess 3-5k at a minimumā€¦.
What did we average when Herman was here? The team was winning and Herman got people excitedā€¦.I will not forgive the guy for the way he went outā€¦.he is a scum bagā€¦.but he did have that ā€œitā€ factor.

Right now we have the opposite of thatā€¦.not winning and a coach that blames othersā€¦ā€¦only people that will be going to games at the moment are die hards and parentsā€¦.

Next year attendance will be better because of the new conferenceā€¦.but if the team loses consistently that too will fade quickly.

Yep, Herman understood what it took and more importantly, backed it up. Danaā€™s very good at making excuses when things arenā€™t going well. While itā€™s highly unlikely Deion would come here, he most certainly would recruit and put rear ends in the seats! If UH isnā€™t winning, attendance is going to be a problem. Itā€™s been that way for a long time.

1 Like

7 fat years and 7 lean years. I will continue going to games because it is a thing of beauty to look back at the lean years. Basketball for example. Pretty effing lean but now excitement. I want to see experience with football again.

1 Like

Not sure, however think of the recruiting pitchā€¦ Deion getting the houston kids. Only real thing I see

Because we are coming to the realization that an absolute must quality of the head coach position of the University of Houston is that that candidate must be able to connect with the fan, create trust, and create excitement. Thsi is an absolute must. With that quality, we feel recruits and coaches will follow.

In the post Sumlin selections, we have the following:

Levine: Great man but failed to generate excitement with the casual Houstonian and had difficulty finding a competent staff. he did fix the DC role in the end.
Herman: The prototype. Sold the program hard, created excitement, and found competent coaches to support him.
Applewhite: Blah. Went from French Vanilla to Vanilla Bean but inspired nobody- not hos fan base, not his players, not his coaches. Thsi was the big miss, In my opinion, we were an attractive destination at this pointā€¦and Tilman went for the cheap ā€œhe better not leave meā€ option and we set the program back.
Holgorsen: Our administration"altered" the schedule last season to manufacturer an impressive season last year then rushed to give him an extension after last year. In year 4, heā€™s neither excited the casual Houstonian or produced a game (start to finish) that we can claim to be a dominate Houston Cougar performance and it appears as if his coaches and players are regressingā€¦not progressing.

Iā€™m just making a list of Must-have qualities for a Coach When/IF CDH leaves.

3 Likes

Iā€™m OK with Deion Sanders as HC, but he doesnā€™t have a long coaching body of work on his resume. Also, I believe he would be a short term solution. Same is probably true for Jeff Traylor of UTSA.

Willie Fritz is a consideration. He would consider UH to be a step up from Tulane and he has a successful track record. We all know Tulane is a tough sell for recruits because who wants to play in a city that resides below sea level?

However, I believe we should be looking for another Lance Leipold of Kansas who established a long history of national competitiveness and championships at a lower level. Kansas took a chance and it seems to be working well for them.

1 Like

These wordsā€¦

https://twitter.com/DeionSanders/status/1573253579778973697?s=20&t=-mpEzl7aG6Hh_1vbk29TCQ

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/ColeJackson12/status/1578959700334239744?s=20&t=JFM22_lNE57DELtxAxexlQ

7 Likes

Facts.

Too many on this board are too embarrassed to admit that they want a coach like CDH, but with more success.

Problem is, you cannot have a coach like CDH, and have success at UH. It wonā€™t happen in the age of NIL, transfer portals, branding and conference realignment.

If you want to boost UH brand, I cannot think of a better person to be associated with than Prime Time. The man is a phenomenon. He is on TV everyday, was a HOF football player, a winner, DOPY, and an All Pro at two different positions (Corner and Safety).

I mean, this man took a helicopter to SF when he was traded by the Falcons, landed it in the middle of the field, and then helped them win a Super Bowl, while winning DOPY.

That dude is a certified bad a**.

3 Likes

Only if they are winning. I really hate the idea of the Prime time circus because it is not what we need

2 Likes

Heā€™ll be here in a few weeks to see him in person - have Tillman set up a visit at the post oak lol

1 Like

Sorry but disagree. This school needs attention. We had it with CTH, have it with CKS (MBB), and had it with Ware and Case at QB, Phi Slama Jama in the 1980ā€™s.

Most people who I meet outside Texas know about UH because of Phi Slama Jama, Andre Ware/R & S, and Case, with a little CTH. Imagine the media attention that Deion would bring. He would be worth $10ā€™s of millions of dollars a year in publicity. Our brand would shoot up instantly. Jesus look what he did for Jackson State?

5 Likes