SEC Expansion-- UT, OK

We have to do whatever possible to be more appealing than the big 12 rejects

What doors does this open up for us for p5s?

https://twitter.com/kbohls/status/1417940483351908360?s=19

IF this does happen there will be a best of the rest Conference. We will be in that.

Don’t see it happening as other expansions have mostly happened in secret or with well known frustrations of a member in a conference. Are OU and UT playing to take even more $ from the little 12 conference (kinda like Boise State did to WAC)? That’s my guess.

I doubt if the PAC go for Baylor or TCU so we are in a pretty good spot if they want Texas eyballs.

4 Likes

File under “for what it’s worth” but an interesting premise.
“For the sake of argument, if the SEC were to add Texas and Oklahoma, of the remaining 8 Big 12 schools only Kansas and Iowa State are AAU schools and would be leading candidates to join a 16-team Big Ten rather than expanded Pac-12 IMO. Don’t see Pac-12 adding non-AAUs.”

https://twitter.com/JamesCrepea/status/1417934790750179328

The Pac wants to go straight to 16 and won’t accept religious or non-VHRU schools. There aren’t four other G5 + Big XII schools that fit that description and make better sense for them. We’d be in. Probably UH, Tech, KU and another XII cast-off.

2 Likes

Baylor and TT are racing down 35 now to complain in Austin.

Kansas schools are saying we are scroomed.

Would this also signal no expansion of the playoffs is coming? Why would both UT and OU give up a chance at the playoffs to go to the SEC
but money talks.

2 Likes

Maaaannn, that’s exciting but I remember when I got excited last time about P5 news. I’ll just have to believe when I see it.

Oklahoma State?

So much for the little eight left behind. The AAC is now looking pretty good.

1 Like

There’s 6 at-large spots for the coming expanded CFP. I don’t think giving up the Big XII for the SEC hurts their chances all that much.

Texas is not leaving it’s cash cow and LHN to join the SEC. Not going to happen . Oklahoma on the other hand is joining the SEC.

The BIG12 will expand and to add Houston, UCF and Cincinnati.

2 Likes

OK State seems like the obvious choice to me, too, but I don’t know if KSU has the clout to force KU to bring them along, or if the Pac would rather have ISU for academic reasons.

If OU and UT leave, and PAC decides to expand to get their 16 then they get a decent selection to choose 4 from: KU, Texas Tech, OSU, KSU, UH, New Mexico, UNLV, Colorado State, Cincy, Memphis. I’m not sure we make the cut on that list but frankly I think it should be probably be KU, TT, UH, and OSU.

Don’t really see how this benefits us for sure UNLESS AAC and BIG12 merge into a mega conference of sorts but even then, there would be NO blue bloods anchoring the new Big 12 which is a major problem.

1 Like

Good point. This is what I was wondering about. Although, would SEC money offset that? (I don’t know the money specifics)

2 Likes

You can have multiple teams from same Conf as the way it’s on the table for now. Only 5 Power Conf now, 12 team playoff

But the road is easier to get there in the Big12, how many spots would the SEC get?