The Offensive Line

While 3 of the 5 are new faces…

Here’s another way of looking at the potential o-line production in 2026…

So, as you can see…

The Coogs are #20 out of 138 teams in returning o-line production.

…this is good.

So the fact that, like most teams, anywhere from 1-5 new o-linemen will have to be “incorporated” into the unit, the “experience level” is NOT a concern.

…and, again… the talent level has definately improved, IMO.

A while back I mentioned finding PFF Grades, as this could be a way of validating my argument about talent level, but I’ve been unable, thus far, to find a way to consolidate that data for comparison.

1 Like

Another, almost always, overlooked aspect of the o-line is…

…how good at blocking are the Tight Ends.

If your TEs are good blockers, they can make the o-line look better than they are…

…and visa versa.

How good at blocking are the Coogs TEs?

McGary is solid there. 6-4 250

1 Like

There were many times last season, late in games, where our running game bullied people. As a Kevin Kolb and forward Coogfan it was lovely to see.

3 Likes

Okay, I found a few PFF Grades…

Shadre Hurst is the #6 Guard in the country…

The article said NO ONE grades out higher than Shadre over the past 2 seasons…

——————————————————-

Next…

Anthony Boswell is the #8 Center…

He has the highest PFF grade, for Centers, in all of FBS Football, and the 3rd highest grade for ALL Linemen…

——————————————————

Read the write-ups. These 2 are both special…

6 Likes

Yup… Hurst was a huge addition…

4 Likes

Drew Terill is the highest graded tackle in the Big 12

1 Like

If the replacements were unseasoned freshmen or sophomores I would think they would take longer to gel than the training amp. But the replacements are seasoned veterans with a great amount of experience. I believe they will gel very well.

For an example, just look at the pros. Rookies take time to develop cohesion with the returning veterans. But when a trade is made or a free agents is brought in, they readily assimilate.

5 Likes

Totally agree…

From what I am reading, the starting TE will be Patrick Overmyer, the UTSA transfer, at 6’5", 230 lbs. He is more of a receiving threat than blocking TE. Coach will need to sort out the other TEs.

  • Luke McGary, 6’4", 250 lbs., recovering from injury but expected to be back this fall. Better blocker than Overmyer.
  • Wyatt Herbel, 6’3", 220 lbs.
  • Jayden York, 6’4" 245 lbs.
  • Traville Frederick Jr., 6’3", 240 lbs.
  • Kaleb Thomas, 6’4", 250 lbs.

Good depth at TE.

1 Like

Interesting how UTSA used Overmeyer in short yardage situations…

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.expressnews.com/sports/colleges/utsa/article/football-tush-push-roadrunners-patrick-overmyer-21252736.php&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwi71MOXm76VAxWXFTQIHQHNKHU4FBAWegQIKxAB&usg=AOvVaw3Z24UL7iubrc8QuKIGTm6c

I’d say he good for more than just catching passes…

1 Like

aka Patrick Over-middle

As a Tight End… without doing the research, one would naturally assume it meant something to the effect of… he is tough catching passes OVER THE MIDDLE. At least it’s what I had wrongly assumed.

Yet, after reading that article, it appears that nickname is derived from lining up at QB in short yardage situations, and powering the ball in to the end zone. Overmeyer played QB in high school.

Overmeyer lined up and did it 17 Times last year to a high level of success.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Coach Fritz takes a page out of UTSAs book there…

It sure would take a little of the wear and tear off of Connor Weigman.

When I asked about how our TEs can block, someone suggested Overmeyer was more of a “pass catcher”.

I’m not so sure that is the case.

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that his 6’5”, 250 lb frame will come in handy blocking as well…

Koziol was not a great blocker, BUT he was a very willing blocker, as opposed to what we had the year before he got here with our then-starter, who was a reluctant blocker and sometimes a loafer.

2 Likes

Wish I could read it. The article covered his nickname?

They’ll have to prove it, though. I know they had a good stockpile, but losing your MLB and four DL to the draft leaves some shoes to fill.

4 Likes

No doubt Texas Tech has excellent talent, but they have to play together to gel, just like UH does. A mistake here or a TO there, could be the difference, for either team.

Lace em up, play a clean game, and see who make enough plays to win the game.

1 Like

Several folks have pointed out that the UH o-line will need time to “gel”.

I’d like to see how many o-linemen return for every program in the Big12.

I’ll bet the average school replaces an average of 2 (or more) every year.

Utah is replacing all 5 of their starters on the o-line from last year.

My point is…

I don’t think having 3 new starters is as big a concern as some have made out…

6 Likes

I strongly disagree. The Oline is like a orchestra. If one instrument is out-of-tune, the whole selection is out-of-tune. One mistake from the OL can lose your QB for the season. They open hole for the QB/RB to run, and give the QB enough time to find an open receiver. OL needs to learn how to RB block, pass block, pick up blitzes, all with everyone on the same page.

2 Likes

I don’t know what to think ab out our OL. But having a redshirt Junior step into the starting lineup after three years in the program is not the same as a newcomer.

Now I know our newcomers have lots of game experience and are highly regarded from a talent perspective, so I expect them to be good - the only question is how long will it take to gel

2 Likes